Eric Lister
msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the rules, all leads followed are counted during the scoring phase of the game. The only exceptions to this are any "free" leads which are listed on a case to case basis. To date, I have played through the first three cases, and have noticed that following some leads does nothing but re-direct to another location.

For example, the details of a case may result in the player wanting to talk to a certain individual, Mr. X. The player would then look up Mr. X in the directory and go to the associated address. Upon getting to the location, the player will then be informed "Mr. X is currently at his office" with no further, potentially helpful information, thus resulting in another lead being followed.

As this is is two locations visited, per the rules, it should count as two leads followed (which is how I have been scoring thus far). This seems unnecessarily harsh in terms of scoring given that each individual lead followed beyond Sherlock's total counts as -5 points.

Do you think that a lead which serves no purpose other than directing to another location should be counted for scoring purposes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan O'Neill
United States
California
flag msg tools
CaptainWOW88 wrote:
According to the rules, all leads followed are counted during the scoring phase of the game. The only exceptions to this are any "free" leads which are listed on a case to case basis. To date, I have played through the first three cases, and have noticed that following some leads does nothing but re-direct to another location.

For example, the details of a case may result in the player wanting to talk to a certain individual, Mr. X. The player would then look up Mr. X in the directory and go to the associated address. Upon getting to the location, the player will then be informed "Mr. X is currently at his office" with no further, potentially helpful information, thus resulting in another lead being followed.

As this is is two locations visited, per the rules, it should count as two leads followed (which is how I have been scoring thus far). This seems unnecessarily harsh in terms of scoring given that each individual lead followed beyond Sherlock's total counts as -5 points.

Do you think that a lead which serves no purpose other than directing to another location should be counted for scoring purposes?

We DO count it as an additional lead. I love this game, and love how many clues circle around to the same conclusion. Part of the fun of SHCD for us is seeing how quickly Sherlock got to the game conclusion (assuming we're not WAY off) and how badly he whips us. (He's going to whip us, he's Sherlock, after all)

We don't consider SHCD in terms of wins vs. losses, but rather how economical we can get to the solution. It's fun trying to match wits with the master, and it's such a fun experience even if we've explored every clue in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sinner

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
We always counts locations like this toward our locations visited total.

Often, there were other reasons one might suspect they should have gone to the redirected location first; another (more useful) clue that suggests it, the desire to visit that location for other reasons, etc. I see these redirect locations as the penalty for not being clever enough to think of going to the redirected location in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time you try to look up a clue number in the clue book it counts towards your total, even when you do not find anything with that number! In other words, one way to look at it is you actually got some information to go to another location, which is much better than zilch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emspace
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CaptainWOW88 wrote:

Yes. It’s part of the game. Not every potential location is warranted for the same reason the game scores you against Sherlock: Would Sherlock have made the reasonable deduction about which location Mr. X would likely be at in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon? Yes.

If you don’t take this reasoning into consideration when checking locations, you will be penalized, and fairly so.

Alternatively, Sherlock might’ve been lead to the right location based on a lead you didn’t pick up. Again, it’s fair to penalize you if you’re trying to find a person but not by way of the clues and only by the address book.

However, as many people point out, one can also choose to enjoy the game without trying to beat (or compete with) Sherlock, in which case, go to as many locations as you feel you need to, and don’t count any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
In principle, free leads are granted where there are equal odds for a specific person to be in either of several places and you end up where that person happens not to be at the time.

This principle was not always implemented in the older versions and seems to have been dropped in the latest edition. I am in favour of using it as a house rule in any future case, but I think any looser interpretation of the free-lead point deduction will make the scoring pointlessly more random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainWOW88 wrote:
According to the rules, all leads followed are counted during the scoring phase of the game. The only exceptions to this are any "free" leads which are listed on a case to case basis. To date, I have played through the first three cases, and have noticed that following some leads does nothing but re-direct to another location...

...Do you think that a lead which serves no purpose other than directing to another location should be counted for scoring purposes?

I guess I'll be the contrarian.

Yes, I do think the redirected leads, when you have no prior way of knowing if a person you want to visit is at home or at work, should be free. I was a bit dismayed when I saw that the newest printing by Space Cowboys omitted the free leads altogether.

When we played the case you are referring to...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
we visited two of the people at home only to learn they were at work. Then, thinking we understood the sequence, we visited the next person at work...only to learn he was at home!!!

And, yes, we do play for score. Besides case one where we visited waaay too many leads, we have had fairly decent scores. We play to where we think we have the case solved, and then answer the questions and compute our score. Then we follow up with more leads, especially if we had a few questions we couldn't get. That way we have the best of both worlds: A good score, and we don't miss out on all the awesome story lines you normally would if you were only trying to beat Sherlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with CavemanLogic on this one. Without knowing what time of day it is we would have no idea if they are at work or home and not everyone works the same schedule anyway.

We never count these leads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And besides the one case to which the OP is referring, the free leads are not that big of an issue. See this post for the cases that contain them:

Official "Free" leads (spoilers hidden)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.