Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawn to the Flame Podcasts Guardian post is up:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/25/guardia...

Good Job Guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They left out Carolyn, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that hates these articles? They're just such basic filler.

What is a guardian? Do you like to do damage? Well, then Guardian is the class for you! Here are some cards that everyone has seen before, that guardians use. But remember, if you want to be a good Guardian you have to have a good offense and a good defense.

I feel like I'm missing something because no one else seems to notice how mundane these are. Are they meant for people that have never played the game or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:

Are they meant for people that have never played the game or something?

Exactly, for people who never played the game or played very little. The goal is probably to show new players, who might own only core set, what options and possibilities expansions bring. All in nice, concise and focused format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, these articles are meant to encourage new players into a game that has pretty well established itself among the first adapters. Now it's trying to hook those that might have heard about the game (enough to know to go to the website) but don't know much about it.

At this point, an article isn't likely to affect whether or not you buy the next expansion, so they turn their attention to those that still need to be hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
One who fully grasps Bayes' Theorem, yet remains in our universe to aid others, is known as a Bayesattva.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still hard to believe that the guy illustrated on Mark Harrigan's card is *the* badass of all guardians with his 5 combat skill.

If I ever play with him, I think I'll use yeeshkul's alternative image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Am I the only one that hates these articles? They're just such basic filler.

What is a guardian? Do you like to do damage? Well, then Guardian is the class for you! Here are some cards that everyone has seen before, that guardians use. But remember, if you want to be a good Guardian you have to have a good offense and a good defense.

I feel like I'm missing something because no one else seems to notice how mundane these are. Are they meant for people that have never played the game or something?

Between here and reddit, I've noticed a lot of new players recently. Though the game is almost two years old, in a sense, it's only now really established what it is, with just two complete campaigns. Even now, when someone asks how expansions work, people answer, "Well, so far it's a deluxe and six mythos packs, but no one can say for sure". So it's almost like a new product. Pitching it to new customers just as a new campaign is starting kind of makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Pokeweed Mitogen wrote:
Still hard to believe that the guy illustrated on Mark Harrigan's card is *the* badass of all guardians with his 5 combat skill.

If I ever play with him, I think I'll use yeeshkul's alternative image.

The real problem is that he has a Thompson submachine gun in two pieces of art AND IT’S A ROGUE CARD HE CAN’T PLAY IN HIS DAMN DECK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eff Bee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey BGG friends!

Thank you for the kind words and comments - really appreciate it! A couple of little things, I guess, might help clarify: our brief (and our original pitch) was 'faction overviews' at the close of Arkham's second full cycle. In the writing process, FFG suggested we aim to make the articles as evergreen as possible, so that new players at any stage in the game's life could read them and take stock of what a faction was like, so we started to go down that route. So yeah, they were definitely aimed as overviews, trying to cover a lot of ground, rather than going into specific details. Many a great paragraph on our favourite cards / synergies / pet plays had to be left on the cutting room floor, alas!

As for Carolyn: FFG suggested we stick to non-novella gators for now, as it meant that we had four investigators per faction to discuss (rather than an extra one for Seeker, Guardian and Survivor). So that's what we did! We have lots of Carolyn thoughts, but she's not yet out in the UK, so Peter and I haven't had a chance to play her yet, and we've always felt on Drawn to the Flame that as best we could we wouldn't hold forth with opinions on things we've not yet really experienced!!

CSerpent - yes, I've noticed the same. Lots of new players buying into the game and wanting to dive in. The community at large has to be patient with all the typical new player questions, and the game is changing a lot as a result, I think. It's exciting to see the game as popular as ever, if not more so!

Thanks again for all your comments and taking the time to share your opinions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zooeyglass wrote:
As for Carolyn: FFG suggested we stick to non-novella gators for now, as it meant that we had four investigators per faction to discuss (rather than an extra one for Seeker, Guardian and Survivor). So that's what we did!
You did manage to brush her conceptually with your discussion of the healer aspect. But she's an interesting outlier Guardian with low combat, high intelligence, high sanity and low stamina, thus falling afoul of many of your generalizations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eff Bee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah, definitely a tricky one. I suspect we'll see more investigators in future that similarly buck the mould of their specific classes, like a very direct rogue (Michael McGlen?) or a non-spellcasting mystic... so the articles might, after all, lose some of their evergreen sheen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
But she's an interesting outlier Guardian with low combat, high intelligence, high sanity and low stamina, thus falling afoul of many of your generalizations.

Let's be honest - she's a confused seeker, not a guardian...

I'm looking forward to a combat-oriented seeker. "I've got these medical texts, and I'm ready to do some smiting!" Heck, made they could have a martial artist - it'd fit with the whole 'no weapons in seeker' thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyWBurns wrote:
Heck, made they could have a martial artist - it'd fit with the whole 'no weapons in seeker' thing.

Lily Chen is just a matter of time.

Carolyn really works as a Guardian because that class has a virtual lock on healing cards. The "inspirational" cards like Inspiring Presence and Leadership make sense with her too. I think the novella does a decent job of presenting her Guardian motivation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea for Lily is a Signature "Empty Hand" that is superior to most Weapons but requires one or both Hand Slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zooeyglass wrote:
Hey BGG friends!

Thank you for the kind words and comments - really appreciate it! A couple of little things, I guess, might help clarify: our brief (and our original pitch) was 'faction overviews' at the close of Arkham's second full cycle. In the writing process, FFG suggested we aim to make the articles as evergreen as possible, so that new players at any stage in the game's life could read them and take stock of what a faction was like, so we started to go down that route. So yeah, they were definitely aimed as overviews, trying to cover a lot of ground, rather than going into specific details. Many a great paragraph on our favourite cards / synergies / pet plays had to be left on the cutting room floor, alas!

As for Carolyn: FFG suggested we stick to non-novella gators for now, as it meant that we had four investigators per faction to discuss (rather than an extra one for Seeker, Guardian and Survivor). So that's what we did! We have lots of Carolyn thoughts, but she's not yet out in the UK, so Peter and I haven't had a chance to play her yet, and we've always felt on Drawn to the Flame that as best we could we wouldn't hold forth with opinions on things we've not yet really experienced!!

CSerpent - yes, I've noticed the same. Lots of new players buying into the game and wanting to dive in. The community at large has to be patient with all the typical new player questions, and the game is changing a lot as a result, I think. It's exciting to see the game as popular as ever, if not more so!

Thanks again for all your comments and taking the time to share your opinions!

Also, don't mind posts that have expressed dislike.

As a player who have played many (but not too many) AH:LCG games, I enjoyed reading the post.

I am looking forward to the other posts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Esgaldil wrote:
My idea for Lily is a Signature "Empty Hand" that is superior to most Weapons but requires one or both Hand Slots.

My idea for Lily Chen is that she should just have "->Fight: You gain +1 combat for this attack and deal +1 damage" or similar on her investigator card instead of a special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eldan985 wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:

My idea for Lily Chen is that she should just have "->Fight: You gain +1 combat for this attack and deal +1 damage" or similar on her investigator card instead of a special ability.

More like:
-> Fight. You deal +2 damage for this attack if both your hand slots are free.

xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
valvaris wrote:
Eldan985 wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:

More like:
-> Fight. You deal +2 damage for this attack if both your hand slots are free.

xD

Would be a good candidate for Slight of Hand perhaps - keep your hands free, but have the option for some items if needed... Deck building permitting, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eff Bee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Could even be something to do with Mano a Mano and Ambush - and indeed other points of damage testlessly. Like the first time you do damage each turn without using a Weapon asset, do +1 damage.

Thanks again for the comments. Really nice that it's prompted thoughts about what makes a Guardian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.