Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1889 rulebook seems to make it pretty clear that buying a private company during the stock round from another player is not allowed unlike in 1830. The stock round section (5) only mentions buying shares and the private companies section (11) only outlines public companies buying private companies when they are in the hands of a player.

However, I can see reasons/situations where it would might be desirable to buy a private company from another player during a stock round and then there is this response from John that the rules should basically be 1830 with minor differences. Admittedly I've never run into this situation during play in '89 and have seen it only rarely in '30. Is there any precedent to allow the sale of private companies between players or maybe this was better clarified elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone says their game is just like 1830, except with minor differences!

The question is what those "minor differences" are.

I'm sure if I tried hard enough, I could explain how Chutes and Ladders is just like 1830. They both have boards! They both involve a lot of numbers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's the kind of clarification that you're looking for, but allowing purchases of privates between players is uncommon enough that the 18XX rules difference list simply enumerates the exceptional cases where it's permitted in some form or there's something like privates. The common case is covered by "Rest: no"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be a really bad move to sell between players. It would have to be extremely well thought out and even then it would be a net difference. Otherwise one player or the other would make out worse and therefore shouldn’t make the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Reasonable cross-player private sales in 1830 are vanishingly rate to the point of being almost non-existent (not quite zero but rather hard to distinguish from zero). Cross-player private sales however are fairly common in 1870.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lychenus
msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
Cross-player private sales however are fairly common in 1870.

would like to see a example. since i have never seen it before, or it is some "online community group think"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
lynnech wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
Cross-player private sales however are fairly common in 1870.

would like to see a example. since i have never seen it before, or it is some "online community group think"

I've seen it in one disconnected group that has been playing 1870 nearly continuously since it was published, and heard of it from two others (both admittedly connected by Anthony Carver).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephe Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Reasonable cross-player private sales in 1830 are vanishingly rate to the point of being almost non-existent (not quite zero but rather hard to distinguish from zero). Cross-player private sales however are fairly common in 1870.
This is observational bias. There is a school of thought that the fundamental aspect of any position in any game, of any kind, is that it represents the basis for making some sort of deal. 1830 is no exception. Because player-owned private companies are the only things in 1830 that permit players to swap cash between each other, naturally in such circles they do tend to get swapped around a lot.

While it's sort of amusing, the first time, to see a player attempting to solicit some sort of bribe to play the track tile that everyone knows he's going to play anyway, it's an amusement that I find palls rapidly, especially when you consider the overall effect on game time. So I don't play 18xx with that crowd any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.