Subject: First game, a couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm so pleasantly surprised with how much fun I had! Really enjoyable game, lots of thinking and had some great moments in it. I played the very basic rules and I'm wondering how soon I should introduce new features plus a few other questions :

1. I think moving onto proper drafting and starter cards instead of the generics I'll do straight away but what about quests? How long have people waited until introducing them? And are quests the only way to get the final big enemies?

2. How can I get the expansion content listed at the back - the new heroes / the deep dive deck etc? (In the UK)

3. I don't understand the point of locked doors versus secret doors - they cost exactly the same to open so mechanically there's no difference?

4. I'm really glad I bought into the game, even though I'm not a huge fan of the art - it's fine but it doesn't wow me like some games do. However... the frame component is honestly terrible. I'm never one to bring up negatives when I like a game, but in this case - please offer an alternative frame solution in an expansion. I'm sure plenty more people are interested in something sturdier.

All in all very happy so far, looking forward to playing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
I'm so pleasantly surprised with how much fun I had! Really enjoyable game, lots of thinking and had some great moments in it. I played the very basic rules and I'm wondering how soon I should introduce new features plus a few other questions :

1. I think moving onto proper drafting and starter cards instead of the generics I'll do straight away but what about quests? How long have people waited until introducing them? And are quests the only way to get the final big enemies?

2. How can I get the expansion content listed at the back - the new heroes / the deep dive deck etc? (In the UK)

3. I don't understand the point of locked doors versus secret doors - they cost exactly the same to open so mechanically there's no difference?

4. I'm really glad I bought into the game, even though I'm not a huge fan of the art - it's fine but it doesn't wow me like some games do. However... the frame component is honestly terrible. I'm never one to bring up negatives when I like a game, but in this case - please offer an alternative frame solution in an expansion. I'm sure plenty more people are interested in something sturdier.

All in all very happy so far, looking forward to playing more. :)

1. I went with quests starting with my second game. It was a better game for their inclusion! A healthy bump to the score as well, if you care about such things.

2. I think you (we) have to wait for the game to return to Kickstarter.

3. Nothing more than whether you've aligned two walls or a wall/door when you place the tile, I believe--matters for a card or two, though, if I'm remembering correctly (there's the one that allows you to bash in locked doors, and another for finding hidden doors).

4. I agree completely. For a £50+ game, I was more than a little disappointed with some of quality of the components: bendy cards, a wonky frame, mediocre art, a truly woeful rule book, and a bunch of stuff listed in the second book that you don't get to play with. I like the game--but maybe had unrealistic expectations of the bits in the box for the price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
Gregolution wrote:

2. I think you (we) have to wait for the game to return to Kickstarter.

Pretty sure Andrew said its coming to retail in the summer. I won't speculate about UK availability however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
@ Michael - I think the rulebook is really good, the cards are fine and there's a hell of a lot of game in here for 50 quid. My only problem is the frame, that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
@ Michael - I think the rulebook is really good, the cards are fine and there's a hell of a lot of game in here for 50 quid. My only problem is the frame, that's all.

Ah, sorry. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Np

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for your comments! We are indeed considering an alternate frame solution as a separate element for those who are interested. More details should be coming soon.

And yes, the plan is to reprint a retail version of the "Champions of Dungeon Alliance" expansion, as early as this summer but at the very least during 2018.

Also, we're working on additional expansion material focused on campaign story arcs. We hope to release a lot of information during the next couple of months.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fantastic. Thanks Andrew, expect to get more money out of me then 😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Stenzel

Texas
msg tools
I also agree on the frame, but I think I am going to design and 3D print a frame that has some sort of tongue and groove system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gast

Weyauwega
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game a lot but instead of listing all the things I do like I'll state the few things I personally don't.

1) The dungeon frame is awful and constantly fiddling with it.

2) I feel like the quests are better when added to the game but really lacking for me. Not sure what it is but triggering them feels lackluster and I feel like resolving them is boring or doesn't feel satisfying if that makes sense. They just aren't interesting like the rest of the game.

3) I feel like the campaign could be much better and more interesting and wouldn't scale well.

Very interested to see if any of these are addressed in an expansion or what the future of this game holds. Great game Andrew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if my comments seemed harsh--I do like the game! But if does feel an expansion or developent cycle away from being great. Things I'd like to see:

1. Something that brings character to the dungeons. At the moment, they're a little flavourless--randomly generated with no theme or identity to tie it together. It seems there's some plan for this, as the tiles are colour coded (?), but something that transforms "generic dungeon" to "The Lair of the Goblin King" or "The Vile Pit" would add so much.

2. Similarly, something that adds a little identity to the starting party. Right now, you assemble your party of four and that's pretty cool, especially as their unique abilities begin to sync. But at the moment, the characters themselves are a bit flat: they may have full backstories, but this isn't apparent anywhere in the rulebook or on the cards, so aren't accesible to the players. But if players could somehow tweak their party before entering the dungeon... I dunno, giving the party some kind of "ethos" or motivation, or additional purpose other than slaughtering everything that moves; or something that triggered off of similar or different alignments or classes within the group... that might be cool? Something that links characters to each other? Probably an unwelcome additional layer of complexity for multiplayer, but for solo play (for me, anyway) it'd transform my party of "A barbarian, two monks and an assassin" to something personalized and memorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.