Hide
5 Posts

This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: This War of Mine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Metcalf
msg tools
This War of Mine looks like an awesome game but it says its for +18, I wanted to know if I could play this with my 11 year old brother? Is there mature content in the game? If so, what short of stuff are we talking about. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some events are specifically designated as "extreme" or something. The system is designed in such a way that pulling out a couple specifically labeled cards means you won't encounter those events.

You could definitely play that way.

I don't recall the specifics of any particularly extreme events, but I wasn't on the lookout for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
King of Communism wrote:
This War of Mine looks like an awesome game but it says its for +18, I wanted to know if I could play this with my 11 year old brother? Is there mature content in the game? If so, what short of stuff are we talking about. Thanks!

The game puts you into very tough emotional situations that can be disturbing for some people. When there is death or violence it feels real unlike the violence in a dungeon crawl or super hero game (or movie). So there is a possibility that the game would have an impact on an 11 year old (or not, depending on the person).

I think you should let your parents make the decision.

Personally I think that there are tons of other cool games that your brother might enjoy more. But then again, I don't know the maturity of your brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mertz

Pennsylvania
msg tools
I have only played the computer game version of this and it is grim. No fantasy anything here, the game focuses on civilian survival in the ruins of a war-torn area. I think it is based on real life Sarejevo but I could be mistaken there. Any way you cut it though, it is very visceral and reflects a situation that is all too real these days. Great computer game though but I think if it were my child at 11 years old I'd probably look elsewhere, assuming that the board game echoes the computer game on which it is based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to This War of Mine: General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.