Madeira» Forums » General

Subject: Any speculation on the second edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what people are thinking the second edition will look like in terms of, what changes will be made, component upgrades, etc.

I think metal coins will come out... Thats obvious. But what else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is that I'm in, regardless. Madeira is a 10 for me.

Personally, it could be metal coins, thicker cardboard chits (or perhaps silk-screened wooden chits), more ornate ships, etc.

As they are offering upgrade packs for us 1st edition owners, I'm assuming the main board will remain unchanged (since, by that point, you'd be replacing nearly the entire game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I saw a hint on Twitter that there might be variant crown requests
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all of those ideas. I agree im in as well. I havent played this game in a long time but i really enjoyed it. It feels like a mental workout. Such a good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is so well balanced that I have a hard time to think what an expansion could look like.

Different crown requests/new character cards/different guild favors/additional options to use your dice all mean new mechanisms need to be brought in that replace the well balanced economy in the game (current resources need to lead to points/all actions need to be still in the game/building costs should stay affordable).

With that said, it makes me even more excited about what they implemented in the expansion.

I'm not too keen on component upgrades in most games though. Adding cost to replace the cardboard chits with wooden/miniature crops is something I'd be happy to live without (but I guess there'll be only 1 upgrade pack; the one for the deluxe version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bottoms
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I remember an interview Nuno and Paulo did with Heavy Cardboard a while back and I am pretty sure they said that they actually took alot of things out of their original design of Madeira, compared to the published version.

So I am expecting extra content, whether this is just adding variability or new elements, its hard to know yet.

Then perhaps we could expect metal coins (but im least bothered about this really).
I would like to see wooden resources for the bread/wheat/sugar/grapes chits, but this could be difficult due to the need to stack.

Mainly as an owner of 1st ed I am just interested to see new content and how this would work as an upgrade kit.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morningview66 wrote:
I remember an interview Nuno and Paulo did with Heavy Cardboard a while back and I am pretty sure they said that they actually took alot of things out of their original design of Madeira, compared to the published version.

So I am expecting extra content, whether this is just adding variability or new elements, its hard to know yet.

Then perhaps we could expect metal coins (but im least bothered about this really).
I would like to see wooden resources for the bread/wheat/sugar/grapes chits, but this could be difficult due to the need to stack.

Mainly as an owner of 1st ed I am just interested to see new content and how this would work as an upgrade kit.

Joe

I would like to see the expanded parts do more for the Colonies as others have said. In fact I'd like to see something replace the noble track. That part of the game felt so tacked on. Loved everything else about it. Maybe a stock market type area instead with each company slightly breaking the game some how???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.