Subject: New player to the series thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ola bergh
Sweden
Jordbro / Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I bought this a week ago and it is my first DVG game.

I have never played card-based boardgames previously.

I have now played through the polish campaign twice.

1st attempt i had to abandon due to time shortage, but the 2nd try finished with an adequate result.

Sofar i feel just that about this game and its structure. Adequate. Too much fiddling with to many different playing cards, but mostly i feel the acual game time is very short, it is mostly setting up / adjusting cards / managing counters /return cards /return counters that takes away the acual playing time, which is very short.

I immediately incorporated a few houserules that i felt were totally nessesary.

1. Enemy guns were not allowed to move and attack at the same time.
2. Enemy MG did never attack my armors. They had the same to-kill values as enemy tanks! (?!)

Also the number of hexes feels to few. Maybe if hexes were half as big but twice as many, along with twice as many tiles.

Campaigns could have sub-campaigns within them, like take that city or etablish a bridgehead etc, i dont know.

I am also a fairly new boardgamer, and a recently new Patton's Best player. What pattons best has with its charts this game totally lacks. It feels abit like Yatzy with a WW2 theme roughly evilishly described.

I am currently not really motivated to get extra tiles or the upgrade kit as it isnt worth the money.

BUT i will move my commanders to the next campaign and go from there. My goal is to link all the campaigns together and the surviving commanders will transfer with them. Hopefully i will get used to this different game and adopt.

It was a big sidestep this to go from PB and Ambush! and Target for Today :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The upgrade kit changes / improves the game..

A LOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawnpatrols wrote:

I am also a fairly new boardgamer, and a recently new Patton's Best player. What pattons best has with its charts this game totally lacks.

dawnpatrols wrote:

It was a big sidestep this to go from PB and Ambush! and Target for Today :-)

If your first real exposure to board games are Patton's Best and Ambush!, please understand that those two titles are legendary in wargamer circles. It's going to be pretty hard for other choices to live up to those. I haven't played Target for Today, so can't comment there.

The initial release of Tiger Leader was broadly criticized. I would agree that the upgrade kit recently offered helps to apply the theme to the mechanics more strongly. But it is still not Patton's Best, but then what is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawnpatrols wrote:

Sofar i feel just that about this game and its structure. Adequate. Too much fiddling with to many different playing cards, but mostly i feel the acual game time is very short, it is mostly setting up / adjusting cards / managing counters /return cards /return counters that takes away the acual playing time, which is very short.

I think this is a fair criticism of this title for many gamers as well as most of the other Leader games produced by DVG. For me, there is just as much enjoyment in planning out my mission and the associated card & counter setup as there is executing the mission. I think there are probably more impactful decisions in this phase than there are in the mission execution phase, although this balance varies between the many Leader titles. But this may not be the case for all players.

Some of the setup/teardown time can be mitigated if you're able to leave the game up for the several evenings it takes me to complete a campaign. But if this isn't an option for you (and it isn't for many gamers), then I can see where the handling of cards & counters may not be worthwhile, especially if your joy comes from the mission execution phase rather than planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ola bergh
Sweden
Jordbro / Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, i agree it is fun, i don't say this game is boring or bad, just that when i have placed the tiles and is about to start the battle it feels very basic and totally random. I need more than a week to collect motivation for it.

And right now i am about to build a boardgame-table in a large closet for my newly purchased Silent War, that game seems too need space for some 6 months hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.