Kenton Mattos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Does anyone have a nice write up on how they run an organized play event?

Break down of number of players? How many Rounds? Prize distribution? Do you use base set only? Does each person bring their own cards or does the store provide?

Any help would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a thread active right now that may be of interest to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon M
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KentonMattos wrote:
Does anyone have a nice write up on how they run an organized play event?

Break down of number of players? How many Rounds? Prize distribution? Do you use base set only? Does each person bring their own cards or does the store provide?

Any help would be great.

I've ran a few events now and, while they've been mostly part of an ongoing league, here's some things I've found:

- I try to limit tables to 3 or 4 players each. I use a deck of cards to do random seating each round. So, if we have 12 players (for example), I'd have the A, 2, and 3 of each suit. Randomly distribute cards to players, and they are paired together by suit and sit in the order of the cards (1, 2, or 3).

- Three rounds seems to be plenty, with an hour time limit per round.

- I have at least two sets I can count on, but ask on the Facebook event page that other players bring theirs just in case. So far, our largest turnout is 9 players. Which means three tables with three players each.

- For prizing from the OP Kits, I usually do 1st place gets choice of playmat or acrylic, 2nd place gets the playmat or acrylic not chosen, third and door prizes get the shiny Hero card.

- As far as cards used, it depends on what we are doing. I try to do three different scenarios per event. I've also played events where the same scenario was done for all rounds, which is nice because by round 3 everyone knows the Heroes and the quirks of the scheme pretty well. Either way you go, make sure to either playtest the setups ahead of time, or at least try to get Heroes and MMs that work well together. There is nothing worse than sitting down for 3 rounds of Legendary that are virtually unwinnable. This is by far the most challenging aspect of running an event... but also the most rewarding. Especially if it's a good challenge and everyone walks away happy. Or, at least not angry.

I hope some of that helps. It's just a matter of trial and error and seeing what works for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mease
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
WhiteBoy wrote:
There's a thread active right now that may be of interest to you.

That's my thread linked there.

Some things I've learned from running two events at my FLGS so far:

1. Plan the set ups in advance, and have them written down/typed up. I had the set ups typed and printed out, so each table was able to read off the set ups and made things easier.

2. Play test your set ups in advance if you can. Make sure they are fun, that's ultimately the reason people are there and will want to come back. I made a post on here, and got some feedback that was helpful, though honestly not as much as I would have liked.

3. I kept the villain deck the same between all three rounds, only changing heroes, mastermind, and scheme. This made the tear down and set up between rounds far faster. I plan to continue this in the future.

4. Ask what all "extras" are being used. I don't have X-Men expansion so I don't have those bystanders and such, other tables need to pull those out to keep things fair. Will we use all side kicks including pet avengers? Will we use grievous wounds? Etc. focus on making each table equivalent.

5. Make sure I never advance you will have enough sets. My store has a copy of the base set we can use, but no expansions. So if we want to play with anything beyond that, other people have to supply sets.

6. Make sure you know the rules, and at at least one person at each table knows the rules, otherwise things will get messy.

7. Establish rules at the beginning with everyone and be consistent. Explain scoring, etc.

8. Establish prizing. Everyone gets the holo scheme, 1st gets pick of any prize (most people pick the mat or mastermind). 2nd gets any remaining prize (likely whatever 1st place didn't take). 3rd-7th get the holo hero rare.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head so far.

Edit: these types of threads are really great for planning out set ups.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28750335#28750335
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1896798/marvel-legendary-he...

Im thinking my next night planned event will be loosely based on the Infinity war film. As best we can with the characters that are released. Maybe even with a round more based on the comics if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.