Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am always amazed when I game can continue to teach me something about it’s mechanics or strategy after multiple plays. One of the criticisms I’ve heard with the city of Kings is that each and every hero in the game while offering much different art and story are essentially built on the same template and offer the same skills and stats.

And while it’s true that every hero in the game can be built as a fighter, a tank, a healer, or a support character once you start to play it with all the characters you start to see the nuances of each one. In fact one of the most surprising things I’ve noticed now after 20+ plays is that each scenario or story can play wildly different be it easier or harder depending on the characters that you pick. I used to just focus on what strategy build I needed for each character that was playing but now I’ve learned looking at the scenario or story I need to strategize also on what characters give me the best chance of success and what characters may not be a bad good fit. Furthermore I’m even learning that the length of the scenario or story affects which characters you’re going to use versus longer scenarios and stories.

It’s these little nuances that I’m picking up in the game design and the thought that went into it that continues to have me coming back to it and finding new ways to play and attack different scenarios.

I can’t wait for the new scenarios and stories and discovering which ways these heroes work together.

I do think it’s important that you discover some of these nuances for yourself. I’ve posted another thread some characters that work for certain types of stories but some of the fun of this game is playing the different scenarios, looking at the character sheets in devising a plan to solve the puzzle in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely agree whilst builds may be similar in stats those skills make each one different in each role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To an extent, I agree that there are subtle differences between the characters. However, I think City of Kings would be well served to have at least one more significant differentiating factor between the heroes at the very beginning of the game, before any points are assigned.

Especially when considering all of the monsters (aside from boss powers) are also built entirely from randomized skills from the bag, the characters being differentiated largely from stat point customization left me feeling like the characters played in one game to the next were rather bland and forgettable.

I think a MAJOR missed opportunity was making the skill cards for the most part just more bland stats. Skill cards could have been loaded with actual cool skills that would add layers of strategy and differentiation onto your character.

For comparison: Characters in Gloomhaven have a ton of uniqueness and despite growing/developing in one way or another still maintained that. Even in HeXplore It, the characters can grow and develop in customized ways but have racial and class based skills that keep them unique and memorable throughout.

That said, everything I've mentioned (and others have as well) is more of a personal criticism about CoK. I'm sure there's people that like a (mostly) blank slate of a character to build into whatever they want. It also sounds like the upcoming expansions could address some of the personal criticisms.

As it is CoK is a pretty excellent system and has great mechanics, artwork, theme and support. I think it's got a very bright future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
To an extent, I agree that there are subtle differences between the characters. However, I think City of Kings would be well served to have at least one more significant differentiating factor between the heroes at the very beginning of the game, before any points are assigned.

Especially when considering all of the monsters (aside from boss powers) are also built entirely from randomized skills from the bag, the characters being differentiated largely from stat point customization left me feeling like the characters played in one game to the next were rather bland and forgettable.

I think a MAJOR missed opportunity was making the skill cards for the most part just more bland stats. Skill cards could have been loaded with actual cool skills that would add layers of strategy and differentiation onto your character.

For comparison: Characters in Gloomhaven have a ton of uniqueness and despite growing/developing in one way or another still maintained that. Even in HeXplore It, the characters can grow and develop in customized ways but have racial and class based skills that keep them unique and memorable throughout.

That said, everything I've mentioned (and others have as well) is more of a personal criticism about CoK. I'm sure there's people that like a (mostly) blank slate of a character to build into whatever they want. It also sounds like the upcoming expansions could address some of the personal criticisms.

As it is CoK is a pretty excellent system and has great mechanics, artwork, theme and support. I think it's got a very bright future!

I really do agree on the skill cards themselves. The top middle skills on those cards that have a special ability haven't been good enough to pull me away from my path. Better options would create more fun decisions. Especially knowing you need to "burn two extra tokens to get those skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes are very good. What is pity is the absolutely generic model of monsters. I wish each of the monsters had an easy skill out of the box, that would match their flavour story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
Heroes are very good. What is pity is the absolutely generic model of monsters. I wish each of the monsters had an easy skill out of the box, that would match their flavour story.

I do agree with that also. I have to imagine it was playtested so I’m curious why it couldn’t work. All creatures should have one ability on the template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But then you'd need to randomly draw the Monster Tile and I rather not bee shuffling those pieces and ruining the edges. I think the random skills work nicely reserving the set skills for the Bosses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.