Subject: Getting Summoning Points too Limited? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So there are is only one location with a basic action to get summoning points (and another with control). Does this feel limiting to you (unless you have a god that gets points)? Does the game get stale because of this? Do all of the other actions feel like wasting time until you can get back to the Other worlds location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BestCheckedIn wrote:
So there are is only one location with a basic action to get summoning points (and another with control). Does this feel limiting to you (unless you have a god that gets points)? Does the game get stale because of this? Do all of the other actions feel like wasting time until you can get back to the Other worlds location?

Joe,

Are you asking because you want to engage in discussion with people who feel the same way you do about gameplay, or are you asking because you haven't played and want an opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I've played I haven't felt like this at all. I've found various uses for each action and depending on the game and strategy at that time (it may change during the game) I may not even be thinkingof going to the Other Worlds location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The latter. Ive only read the rulebook and watched like 6 games of it played. Im open to changing my perspective. If the main way you win is from summoning points and you can only get them consistently one way then isn't the game super focused? Aka not much variability. Surprised the area control is such a weak portion of the game. I would figured there would be an evaluation phase or something to gain a point but instead it's just an action and a die roll.

Have you guys tested awarding a point each round to whoever controls the most areas - No one scores with any tie. Potentially everyone gains an elder sign if no one controls the most spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, there are many strategies to victory and more than one way to gain summon points; Other World, Ceremony with control, and Spells. It is also important to understand that summoning is only one option to victory and I think it is the various options open to players that makes the game really fun. Like many things in life you have to actually do it to fully understand, so maybe you will be able to play a store copy or a library copy at a convention to give you a better picture of the various strategies.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I've only seen one spell with summon points though meaning that's not really an answer. I own the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BestCheckedIn wrote:
Thanks for the response. I've only seen one spell with summon points though meaning that's not really an answer. I own the game.

Joe,

Dismissing Richard's comment about spells makes it sound like you have made up your mind about the game having never played it, which is very confusing to me.

There are actually two types of spells that can award you summoning points, with several copies of each spell in the deck. That makes controlling the Library an optimal strategy for gaining Summoning Points, as well. Each Location can be used to support certain strategies in the game. Depending on the Artifacts that come out at the Museum it can help you to gain Summoning Points in Other Worlds, ready and cast spells that can gain you Summoning Points, or prevent/eliminate Elder Signs when a player is trying to win by that method. The Gathering supports control on other Locations, but especially so when combined with Other Worlds.

Just because the game isn't tossing up a point salad doesn't mean it has a narrow focus. There are a lot of opportunities to help secure a victory in the game, and also lots of play arcs. I know we have played the game a ton in development and each game has been different and a lot of fun.

I suggest you play the game instead of just watching it and speculating. If you still feel the same about it then so be it.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I might be missing cards. I meant that I only have 1 card that's awards summoning points. That's why I said what I said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While gaining Summoning Points is the most common win mechanic, not everyone is going for that all the time. Sometimes, it is more convenient to stockpile investigators into an opponent's lodge and trigger raids, giving them elder signs.

Sometimes, you are looking to curse your opponent to slow them down. Or, conversely, you gain some spells to cancel curses or mitigate some luck of the dice.

When you sacrifice Cultists to the void, you need to recruit new ones.

And it is almost never a bad idea to trigger your gods dark gift.

This is not a straight line path to victory. As soon as you jump out to a lead in summoning points, expect raids, elder signs and curses to come your way. If you don't find a way to deal with them, don't expect to win many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BestCheckedIn wrote:
I might be missing cards. I meant that I only have 1 card that's awards summoning points. That's why I said what I said.

You may very well be. Here is a list of all cards in the base game. Double check your copy and if you are missing any we can send you some.

Alhazred's Vengeance
Alhazred's Vengeance
Alhazred's Vengeance
Alhazred's Vengeance
Alter Fate
Alter Fate
Alter Fate
Alter Fate
An Ancient Stirring
An Ancient Stirring
An Ancient Stirring
Broken Seal
Broken Seal
Broken Seal
Coerce the Innocent
Coerce the Innocent
Coerce the Innocent
Confound
Confound
Confound
Corruption
Corruption
Corruption
Cubes of Power
Cubes of Power
Cubes of Power
Dark Pact
Dark Pact
Dark Pact
Enlighten the Faithful
Enlighten the Faithful
Enlighten the Faithful
Enthrall
Enthrall
Enthrall
Find Artifact
Find Artifact
Find Gate
Find Gate
Find Gate
Gate to the Past
Gate to the Past
Mind Switch
Mind Switch
Mind Switch
Shadow Walk
Shadow Walk
Sign of the Brotherhood
Sign of the Brotherhood
Sign of the Brotherhood
Sign of the Brotherhood
The Stars Are Right
The Stars Are Right
Transmogrify
Transmogrify
Transmogrify
Witches Curse
Witches Curse
Witches Curse
Witches Curse
Witches Curse
Wrack
Wrack
Wrack
Wrack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.