Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an idle thought; I wonder why they chose the standard Euro terminology of Victory Points rather than the Experience Points found in Dungeons & Dragons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
By the time you're a lord of Waterdeep, XP would need to be doled out in the thousands; this would require an explanation to the non-D&D players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean using the quantity (thousands upon thousands) that's found in Dungeons & Dragons but just using the terminology to make it more thematic as a D&D-themed game.

Although some hardened D&Der will be like, "What?! Just 15 Experience Points for killing a sea wraith?!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:
Just an idle thought; I wonder why they chose the standard Euro terminology of Victory Points rather than the Experience Points found in Dungeons & Dragons?

10,000xp = 1 vp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Tran
Australia
Redfern
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to think of them as influence points. Whoever has more has more influence over the city of waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's because calling them experience points might be counter-intuitive for people familiar with D&D. Not being able to level up with experience points would be met with bewilderment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnvsdice wrote:

Because you are not playing an adventurer, but rather one of the lords that find adventurers. So victory points would be a more suitable term. As Tran stated, think of them as how much influence you gained in reputation using victory points as your measure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept saying Experience Points the whole time we played today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.