Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/5971481#item5...

Conclusion:

Ticket to Ride: Switzerland is an expansion for any Ticket to Ride base game you have. You will need the trains and train cards from a base game in order to play this (or 1910 cards are fine). This is a really fun map designed for a specific number of players.

While the base game of Ticket to Ride can be played for 2 or 3 players also, this map is specifically designed for 2 or 3 players only. You cannot play it with 4 (well, I guess you could but it would be VERY VERY tight). The rules are specific it is for 2 or 3. With 2, you only use the single routes but with 3 players you can use the double routes.

It is of note that the map is very tight. This map can be very confrontational but if you do not like this much confrontational go ahead and play 2 player and use both routes (this is not in the rules). I do like the inclusion of going to the countries and it gives you some other options.

Tunnels. Ah Tunnels. There seems to be a love it or hate it with these tunnels. They do introduce a little more planning and some press your luck. It is possible you build a tunnel but the random flipping of cards prevent you from building that tunnel you need. Grrrrr! I can see some players really not liking this but it does add another wrinkle to the game play. I would recommend diving in and just playing this without being too harsh on it. It is another mechanism in the game and it is fun when things work out for you, but stink when they do not.

Overall, I enjoy this map. I understand it is now included in another map collection. I'm glad there is a 2 person map and I've played it a lot with my daughter lately who is just not graduating to the grown up Ticket to Ride games. Fun stuff!

Keeper.

Components:

The components are sparse. The main component is the board. I like this board and it has a green tint to it. I like the inclusion of countries on the board. Also, the tunnels are clearly marked. You get some additional tickets which have a different back than the base game. They have a green color palette on the back of the card. The routes are easily seen on the front of the card. It is of note that you do not have everything you need to play in the game. You will need trains and train cards from a base game in order to play this. This is an expansion not a stand alone game.

Rule Book:

The rule book is printed in a few different colors. The rules are a single page and I pretty much went over them all below. The rules are good and you should be able to pick up the rules rather quickly.

Flow of the Game:

Here are the changes:

1. The Map is for 2 or 3 players only. The map is tight and very confrontational.

2. New Tickets: You can now go to countries and not just cities. The scoring tickets will give you options on where you can go to score points or more points for other countries.

3. Tunnels - Wild cards are no longer used for normal paths. Instead, they are used for tunnels only (or other colors can be used). When you build a tunnel you then flip over three cards from the top of the deck (these are discarded) and if any of the cards match the colors you played, then you must play an equal number of cards from your hand of that color.

Ex: You build a tunnel using 3 red cards and a wild card. You then flip over 3 cards from the top of the deck. If any of them are red or wild, you must play a matching red or wild from your hand.

Should I buy this game?:

I would recommend this for anyone looking to play 2 players. This is by far the best map I've played for 2. It also accommodates 3 which is nice (but not more!). The map is tight so there may be confrontation and the tunnels are hit or miss with players. This map really screams to be played on the lower player count.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Nordic and/or United Kingdom?

We find both of those to be "by far" better than Switzerland for 2p.
Switzerland is much more luck dependent than any other TtR title we have tried. An early good draw of tickets will set you up for a guaranteed win.
UK is probably the least luck dependent.

But of course, personal tastes vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Have you tried Nordic and/or United Kingdom?

We find both of those to be "by far" better than Switzerland for 2p.
Switzerland is much more luck dependent than any other TtR title we have tried. An early good draw of tickets will set you up for a guaranteed win.
UK is probably the least luck dependent.

But of course, personal tastes vary.

No, I haven't tried them yet. I'll make that top of our order. Honestly, we usually play without the draw pile flip. We are naughty, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Quote:
1910 cards are fine

They are fine, aren't they... much better than the hobbit cards that come with base TtR.

While I like the Switzerland map in theory... and think the tunnels and their randomness are great, I do think the country cards for tickets are too powerful. Makes the game almost unplayable.

Expansion 2 for TtR comes with Switzerland and the awesome India map. Worth buying, even if Switzerland does have the one flaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Quote:
1910 cards are fine

They are fine, aren't they... much better than the hobbit cards that come with base TtR.

While I like the Switzerland map in theory... and think the tunnels and their randomness are great, I do think the country cards for tickets are too powerful. Makes the game almost unplayable.

Expansion 2 for TtR comes with Switzerland and the awesome India map. Worth buying, even if Switzerland does have the one flaw.

+1 We regularly break out India, but do not bother with Switzerland any more. If we want a tight 2p game we will always choose Nordic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to check out these maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.