Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I am looking for a recommendation of a Resource Management big box game. Suggestions please!!

* Ideally big box
* Ideally 5+ players (this can be via expansions)
* Happy to be mini based, or not so heavy on minitures
* Not a great fan of card collecting/stacking games
* PvP Conflict in the game is not a problem
* Can be a new game, an older game, or even a KS
* Price is less of a concern than playability/fun
* Not looking for any 'score at the end' type games - see following note

So I like games like Scythe and Concordia, but what makes me not go for these games is that I like them right up to the point the game ends. What I dont like is the 'Lets now do all the scores' at the end, when the person who got rid of their last star (scythe) suddenly is no longer the winner. Scores that get generated as you play is fine, but doing a score count at the end does not thril me.

So, recommendations please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this may be a kind of quirky answer, but you might want to give New Angeles a shot. It's a high-conflict semi-coop, plays 4-6, with voting and negotiation aspects. It has semi-continual scoring, where you score as you go but also have big scoring rounds at intervals.

It isn't a pure resource management game (as in, acquire widgets and allocate to get superwidgets), but it has a group resource management backbone (collectively generate resources to meet quotas, or suffer the consequences).

It's a unique experience, and a very good one if you have a really interactive gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time
mbmbmbmbmb
Rajas of the Ganges

There are two scoring tracks that go in opposite directions around the board. The winner is the first player whose score markers cross on the tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough one. Resource management games that play more than 5 are rare as are games that do not most/all of their scoring at the end. A few "kind of" fitting games that come to my mind:

Lewis & Clark: A race games, first to finish wins. However, can get a bit long with 5 players (the max number) and is a "hand-builder" (like Concordia).

Puerto Rico: You collect victory points throughout the game either as point chips or buildings. 5 max.

Power Grid: Plays up to 6. Most powered cities wins.

Roads & Boats: Goes up to 6 with the expansion. Usually the first player to get to shares wins. No cards. OOP and likely hard to get.

You could also take a look at Exodus: Proxima Centauri which has some of the characteristics you may be looking for and goes up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of other "kind of fits" suggestions

In the Year of the Dragon - Plays five. heavy PvP. Not a lot of resource conversion but definitely resource management. Not the prettiest game but amazing game play. some end game scoring but most scoring done during the game and publicly visible on score track.

Calimala - A newer game that has some similarities to In The Year of the Dragon, but really quite different in many ways as well. (many scorings throughout game) - also plays 5

Antike - This may actually be ideal for you. Has similarities to concordia in terms of mechanics (same designer) but it's a race to the end with all scoring visible and no end game scoring. Lots of PvP, resource management. Plays up to 6 (well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul is a great resource management game for 5 players. It has no endgame scoring apart from a possible tie breaker situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.