Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
This is an uncommon session report, because I didn't play the game exactely as it comes out of the box, but I used a two players variant.
The session has been on friday, april 10th, and there were my girlfriend Raffy, her 6 years old sister, and me. We decided to bring out Settlers of Catan and Seafarers to test some variants I found on the web, so we started in the following way:
- The players were: me against Raffy + her sister (count as 1 player!)
- we used both Settlers and Seafarers
- we used the following variant: we placed 4 terrains surrounded by 10 sea hexagons, the two players has 2 colonies in the terrain hexagons (note: every player plays with two colors, white+blue against red+orange, so everyone has 30 colonies, 30 roads, 30 boats, etc.). The other hexagons were placed, shuffled, face down, in the box. The other rules were as usual, BUT we raised to 9 the card limit for the robber, instead of 7.
- when one player manages to build a boat, he/she sails towards the sea, and when he/she reaches the hexagon border, he draws casually a new hexagon from the box, places it next the hexagon he was in, and places a number token on it (if it's a terrain). So he discovered a new terrain, or if he's unlucky a new sea hexagon.
- victory is at 20 points.

The session proceeded quite smoothly, only few times I had to refer to the rules of the game or the variant. My girlfriend quickly build an established isle to the east of the starting little isle, and got lots of useful resources. She developed at the same time all her colonies, when I decided to go exploring in the south west. I've been unluck and found few resources, but I managed to build the longest trade route and the bigger army.
My girlfriend liked the game a lot, expecially the developing of her colonies. She enjoyed the novelty of german games she never tried. Actually when she won, she was eager to continue!
The final result was: Raffy 20 - Luca 13
IMHO the variant works quite well, but with the following exceptions:
* 20 points are too much in my opinion.
* very often, expecially at the start of the game, it's difficult to get resources because the dice gives number that are not yet on the boars.
* the game is very long. Count 1,5 - 2 hours.
All in all we had a very good time, and we'll try again for sure some variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.