Popular Tags: [View All]
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How does combat work in this game? Considering additional elements such as guns and close combat weapons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kneeland
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
Do what you love with the ones you love
badge
Gotta love the duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
dice based, rolling for areas that enemies are vulnerable. Great videos on the web to teach. Weapons allow rerolls, which are critical in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How many Weapons are there? And each one does what? Did they stay faithful to the computer and console games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch a YouTube video. The combat system replicates VATS in an interesting way, it comes pretty close for a board game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any particular video to recommend? For me the game is made or broken by the combat mechanics. From what I gather right now, Fallout is a little off from perfect, and it has been my job for quite a while now to tweak games that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t know, any fallout board game review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have watched some, and it was as I expected, the combat mechanics are nnot as appealing as I thought it would be. I believe it can be improved. Right now it seems every roll of the die gets you hit by at least one point, something which I am not clear of. Anyone has variant ideas for the combat mechanics for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Reeuws
Belgium
Wevelgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to get lucky and kill something without it hitting you back but those cases are very rare.
Wearing armor makes 1 and even 2 hits , depending on what armore you have , makes gettin out of combat unharmed more common.

I don't know if you played the videogames but having 1000+ hours of gametime (divided amongst fallout 3 , new vegas and fallout 4) i can say that getting out of combat unharmed in those games are about as rare as in the boardgame.
Unless you snipe everything out there offcourse but even then you're a bunch of hours gametime into the game.

Getting wounded in combat is imo part of the challenge and strategy since you need to take actions to heal up.
Do i take a rest and heal up or do i sollve some quest so that i get closer to winning and possibly die in the process , decisions decissions and all that stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me how exactly does it work out? Give me an example of Fight with a ranged weapon like Plasma Rifle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calixtus wrote:
Can you tell me how exactly does it work out? Give me an example of Fight with a ranged weapon like Plasma Rifle.

It's not like that. When you attack, you roll dice, you count body part hits on the enemy based on its weakness, and you may reroll or do something else based on your weapon. It's not like that the Plasma Rifle shoots plasma and an enemy is for example immune to it or the like. It's just dice rolling, but very fun and thematic in Fallout universe.

I have to disagree with you. Combat system is the appealing part in the game. The not so exciting part of the game is how it ends, and faction affiliation randomness, which lots of guys, included myself, have done lots of things to change that. Look at Nerdook or my variant if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cameron
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calixtus wrote:

You will see the * on most of the dice. When attacking these count as hits against you. And its a multiple of the enemy level.

No Armour Fight:
Level 1 enemy - you roll and get 3 * thats 1x3=3 hit points.
Level 2 enemy - you roll and get 3 * thats 2x3=6 hit points.

You are wearing Armour that gives you (1) shield.
Level 1 enemy - you roll and get 3 * (minus 1 for your Armour) thats 1x2=2 hit points.
Level 2 enemy - you roll and get 3 * (minus 1 for your Armour) thats 2x2=4 hit points.

As others have said, weapons let you reroll for better hits against the enemy weak points.

Maybe someone can confirm if you reroll do any hits you would have taken still count or does the reroll help you avoid that or do they stack?

(if they stack im assuming that skill checks also stack)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Only the final die faces after rerolls have any effect.
(Source: you'd need hit tracker tokens or something otherwise, games do not get to use my memory unasked to make their mechanics work)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls