Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Microbadge: The Meeple That Should Not BeMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Living Card Game fanMicrobadge: WFRP - Slaanesh fan
I think linking directly to the manuals would be a good idea. Reading the Learn to Play guide and the Rules Reference before buying could help people make up their mind about trying/buying the game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
clmdvd wrote:
But when building one’s deck initially, are you allowed to just add second copies of player cards from the very start OR do you still need to build your decks according to the scenario instructions?
You should definitely start with the suggested decks. They are bad, but learning WHY they're bad is very important. And the best way to learn is to actually try them out and witness what works and what doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Blue Collar Geek
baba44713 wrote:
clmdvd wrote:
But when building one’s deck initially, are you allowed to just add second copies of player cards from the very start OR do you still need to build your decks according to the scenario instructions?
You should definitely start with the suggested decks. They are bad, but learning WHY they're bad is very important. And the best way to learn is to actually try them out and witness what works and what doesn't.
That's a good idea, but I think it works just as well to build your deck using the cards you have, the deckbuilding rules on the Investigator card, and your intuition. It'll still be a bad deck that teaches you what not to do, but building your personal deck is fun for a lot of gamers even when we don't know what we're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Blue Collar Geek
sebastianmarkow wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
I can understand the frustration in other contexts, but this seems to be a case of "This is the FAQ thread, how dare you ask a Question that has Frequently been Asked?"
What's the point of the FAQ then? Again hyperbole, there's no such thing as being hostile to new people asking questions, but you gotta understand the frustration if someone asks questions which are easily searchable (top entry) and already have been extensively discussed. Plus, if in the end it boils down to: "convince me to buy X", a solely personal decision. At this point I'm taking 5 people asking for Lita Chantler over dealing with another person complaining about the concept of buying multiple cores (especially if these people only want to have their initial preference reinforced).

Pointing out there is a FAQ and a topic has been discussed multiple times is not hostile and should be the default.
...but this thread is the FAQ. It's not really, not yet, but the OP clearly wants it to be the FAQ and every frequently asked question that gets included brings it one step closer to achieving that goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
sebastianmarkow wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
sebastianmarkow wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
I can understand the frustration in other contexts, but this seems to be a case of "This is the FAQ thread, how dare you ask a Question that has Frequently been Asked?"
What's the point of the FAQ then? Again hyperbole, there's no such thing as being hostile to new people asking questions, but you gotta understand the frustration if someone asks questions which are easily searchable (top entry) and already have been extensively discussed. Plus, if in the end it boils down to: "convince me to buy X", a solely personal decision. At this point I'm taking 5 people asking for Lita Chantler over dealing with another person complaining about the concept of buying multiple cores (especially if these people only want to have their initial preference reinforced).

Pointing out there is a FAQ and a topic has been discussed multiple times is not hostile and should be the default.
...but this thread is the FAQ. It's not really, not yet, but the OP clearly wants it to be the FAQ and every frequently asked question that gets included brings it one step closer to achieving that goal.
I'm not talking about this thread, I'm happy about it. I'm talking about the forums in general.
That would be the "other contexts" I mentioned in my initial post, and I tried to be clear that my specific objection was in reference to this frustration being voiced in this specific thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Johann Sebastian Bach fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The Mystic
I made a bunch of updates, folding in stuff from this thread and some others. I also completely restructured it, so hopefully people will have an easier time finding what they need. Let me know if you have any ideas for improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kerkhoff
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2017
This is a good start to a FAQ for BBG.

My suggestion would be to also make mention about the fan made scenarios available and perhaps a couple of links to the more popular databases. For when you are "done" with all the officially released material and extend the replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Johann Sebastian Bach fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The Mystic
sebastianmarkow wrote:
SJacobsen159 wrote:
sebastianmarkow wrote:
BTW, all of the core set weaknesses lack the "Investigator X deck only" text. So all of them are eligible to be included in other investigator decks additionally. Which also makes sense thematically if two investigators, in addition to their usual weakness, share a common - say - past. (Exception is Daisy's Necromonicon, which still lacks the deck only constraint but names her in the card text.)
This isn’t true. (You got me for a second though, and has to grab my rules reference)

In the deck building rules it says “1 random BASIC weakness.” Investigator specific weaknesses aren’t “basic” weaknesses.
You are free to add as many weaknesses as you like, with the exception that 1 basic weakness and the signature weakness are mandatory.

Reference: Ruling on replacement keyword cards.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but out of curiosity, do you have a link to that ruling? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I glanced at my friend's Carolyn Fern rule card which described replacements yesterday, and I didn't see anything that implied adding non-basic weaknesses to your deck (outside of swapping or adding the ones in the deck building rules with the associated character's replacement). The stand alone rules also state "random basic weakness."

Admittedly, nothing in rules-as-written stop you from adding non-basic weaknesses to your deck as additional cards, and you're certainly entitled to play the game however you wish. I just never came across anything that implied that adding them was a thing you could do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
I'd be interested to know too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
jkerkhoff wrote:

My suggestion would be to also make mention about the fan made scenarios available and perhaps a couple of links to the more popular databases. For when you are "done" with all the officially released material and extend the replayability.
Added fan-made scenario geeklist mention in two spots.

Also added LotR discussion, common mistake threads/files, some resources from the files section to various topic categories, and link to a GL item with a list of podcasts.

Question for all:
I don't really interact with the AH:LCG game community outside of the BGG forums, the FFG website, and dabbling on ArkhamDB. What are people's favorite resources outside these venues? I listed a few that I found via googling, but any help sifting through these or adding to them is helpful.

Any links to specific podcast episodes focused on new player topics (deck building, etc)? I don't listen to any of the podcasts, so I don't know.

I also feel like I saw another thread on common mistakes (not the recent one for veterans, which I already included), but I can't for the life of me find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: NihilistMicrobadge: Minion of HasturMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
SJacobsen159 wrote:
jkerkhoff wrote:

Added fan-made scenario geeklist mention in two spots.

Also added LotR discussion, common mistake threads/files, some resources from the files section to various topic categories, and link to a GL item with a list of podcasts.

Question for all:
I don't really interact with the AH:LCG game community outside of the BGG forums, the FFG website, and dabbling on ArkhamDB. What are people's favorite resources outside these venues? I listed a few that I found via googling, but any help sifting through these or adding to them is helpful.

Any links to specific podcast episodes focused on new player topics (deck building, etc)? I don't listen to any of the podcasts, so I don't know.

I also feel like I saw another thread on common mistakes (not the recent one for veterans, which I already included), but I can't for the life of me find it.

The Whisperer in Darkness

Arkhamhorrorlcg Reddit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dragons NocturnesMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Overwatch fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The SeekerMicrobadge: Dark Souls series fan
The problem with FAQs, especially in the case of FFG games which have a lot of content, is that the FAQs become gigantic sooner rather than later. As such, it can become quite tedious to go through it.

And as much as people think you can google your questions, it's not always possible... It's difficult to google concepts. You can try all you want with keywords, but in this game, how often does "action, card, turn, round, engage, investigate, fight, draw, end of turn" show up in a question? Do you have to read absolutely everything that contains those words? Hell, even Lita Chandler is now synonym of being annoyed about the question, rather than the question itself... How deep do you need to dig to find the actual answer nowadays?

Due to that, my opinion has always been to let people ask whatever they want. The goal is not to have a dead forum where everything has been asked at most once. It's a discussion forum, and people come and go. If someone asks something interesting, participate all you want, if someone asks something boring and repetitive, move along and let others reply. But expecting everybody to read through lengthy threads on a forum, through a FAQ, in addition to the two rulebooks, is not a very welcoming way to help people and get them to play a game we want to live long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
Phoenixio wrote:
The problem with FAQs, especially in the case of FFG games which have a lot of content, is that the FAQs become gigantic sooner rather than later. As such, it can become quite tedious to go through it.

And as much as people think you can google your questions, it's not always possible... It's difficult to google concepts. You can try all you want with keywords, but in this game, how often does "action, card, turn, round, engage, investigate, fight, draw, end of turn" show up in a question? Do you have to read absolutely everything that contains those words? Hell, even Lita Chandler is now synonym of being annoyed about the question, rather than the question itself... How deep do you need to dig to find the actual answer nowadays?

Due to that, my opinion has always been to let people ask whatever they want. The goal is not to have a dead forum where everything has been asked at most once. It's a discussion forum, and people come and go. If someone asks something interesting, participate all you want, if someone asks something boring and repetitive, move along and let others reply. But expecting everybody to read through lengthy threads on a forum, through a FAQ, in addition to the two rulebooks, is not a very welcoming way to help people and get them to play a game we want to live long.

I get what your saying. I'm sorry if I ever come across as annoyed. I actually really enjoy discussing this game and helping people out with it. That said, the same [basic] questions over and over can be exasperating. When I decided to make this thread, I counted the number of "new player questions" (not about rules, but about very general things about the game; I never intended this to be a rules FAQ)- I counted 14 on the first page of 100 threads in the forums (14%!). Extrapolate that to the entire forum (and accounting how it was much more frequent in the early days), and there's probably at least 500 threads about the very basics (the same 10 questions about what to buy, second cores, storage, etc). Most of those CAN be found very easily with simple searches. Type in "LotR" or "Lord of the Rings", and you get many of threads about the same topic. Type in "2nd core" or "second core" and you get many more on that topic.

I made this thread in hopes that it could cut down on some of that, or to be able to easily point users to a place where they can learn about the basics of the game and see if it's for them. I made it after discussing with an admin that I would be able to get this thread pinned. It is pinned to the general forums now, but unfortunately the pinning only happens on an obscure view of the forums, so not where people are likely to look.

Quote:
How deep do you need to dig to find the actual answer nowadays?

Not very. I don't expect anyone to read every single thread, but doing 1-4 searches (I usually use "subject only" at first) is pretty easy and usually yields what you need in about the same time it takes to make a thread.

As for keeping it from bloating (which is an all-to-real problem), I am trying my best to keep it readable. I will add a table of contents at the top to help people see the topics and scroll down to what they need. I am also frequently working on the formatting of it to make the topics pop out more easily. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm happy to work with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dragons NocturnesMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Overwatch fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The SeekerMicrobadge: Dark Souls series fan
SJacobsen159 wrote:

I get what your saying. I'm sorry if I ever come across as annoyed. I actually really enjoy discussing this game and helping people out with it. That said, the same [basic] questions over and over can be exasperating.
There's no worries. I think it is worth mentioning though that, as frequent forum goers, a lot of people on here have a different perspective than the people googling Arkham Horror LCG forums and posting for a quick question. And with the current scope of BGG, I don't think it'll ever be possible to get rid of all the questions.

That being said, it might also be worth mentioning that this topic has probably helped quite a few people already, albeit the silent kind that googled, found their answer, and moved on. So I guess it could be one of those ungrateful jobs, we'll never really know the impact!

So I don't think this is good or bad, just that maybe we need more perspective from the target audience as to what helps and what deters them from using such posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
I'm a new player. Love the FAQ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
I think this is a fantastic resource that every new game should get. I think it's worth the effort to try and shape the culture of the forums here and it starts with things like this. So many of the same questions are asked over and over. Helping people to use the search function, while it can appear passive aggressive but it's just an attempt to focus discussion. When the same questions comes up in several threads, the discussion splinters and, as other related questions come up, it can bury this information in various places. I think it's also worth encouraging people to accurately title their threads.

Kudos to the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
Microbadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: I'm an old school Dungeon MasterMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fan
On an aside:

I think realistically the reason why people don't search BGG more is that the default search function for the forums returns a pile of data in a pretty useless format compared to a more basic search engine function like Google. I've been using the thing forever, and I still find it frustrating to use in games that have large forums because it doesn't sort stuff into individual threads in a very effective way. I know fixing that would not solve the whole issue here, but if it was functionally easier to sort through the data here with the default tools I think it would cut down on repeat questions at least a smidge.

This is, incidentally, also why I still am a proponent of sorting rules questions into the actual sub-entry instead of piling them all in the central repository, as it makes it easier to just skim through subjects in the smaller rules sub-heading. That ship has long since sailed, but it does put a considerably larger amount of stress on the base game page, and as a result, tends to make conversations get buried even faster amidst all the chatter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I usually search Boardgamegeek with Google. Works better than their search here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
I think the FAQ should perhaps be more clear (or at least more upfront) about these (common) issues:

1) Buying a deluxe expansion does not remove the need for the 2nd core
2) Buying cycles in sequence is prefered but not necessary
3) Investigators and player cards from expansions (but not story assets!) can be freely mixed in advance before playing ANY scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik VA
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2018Microbadge: The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.Microbadge: Fantasy reader
Just to make sure I understand...

If I have two core to play with four players, I can/should add in all the tokens PLUS mix all investigator & neutral cards EXCEPT only one copy of the scenario cards, correct?

Does this include adding in the enemy cards from both scenarios or is it better to use one set of enemy for the scenario and simply reshuffle the discard pile?

For example: The first scenario asks for Rats, so grab all the Rats from both cores when playing with four players or should I only use one set of Rats and simply reshuffle the discard pile for these encounters?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
If a scenario asks for the Rats encounter set to be added, you add exactly one (1) copy of the Rats encounter set to setup.

If you possess more than one copies of the Rats encounter set (due to multiple cores), that is a convenience when handling/storing multiple campaigns that may include the set, but has zero impact on the setup of any individual scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik VA
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2018Microbadge: The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe.Microbadge: Fantasy reader
Thank you Jan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello.

Is there any way you could add the Arkham Chronicle YouTube channel to the list of misc resources? We have been making beginner friendly videos on this game for almost two years and have more than a hundred videos exploring every aspect of the game from rules, to deckbuilding, to accessories and more.

Cheers,

The Arkham Chronicle Gang
https://www.youtube.com/c/arkhamchronicle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik VA
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
thank you Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Microbadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Linux Mint userMicrobadge: Lost in Subscription!Microbadge: I use LinuxMicrobadge: Dark chocolate lover - 70% cocoa minimum
I think it would be a good idea to explain what the Grim Rule is if you are going to mention it. I've only played the core scenarios and had to look it up after reading this FAQ because I had no idea what you were talking about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |