Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Johann Sebastian Bach fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The Mystic
New update. Folded in stuff posted here the last couple months.
Updated so wording (like RotZ from being "announced" to being "released."). Added new section on "which campaigns to buy after core."

baba44713 wrote:
I think the FAQ should perhaps be more clear (or at least more upfront) about these (common) issues:

1) Buying a deluxe expansion does not remove the need for the 2nd core
2) Buying cycles in sequence is prefered but not necessary
3) Investigators and player cards from expansions (but not story assets!) can be freely mixed in advance before playing ANY scenarios
Done. I put them where I thought would make most sense, but if you had another spot, I can add it.

sebastianmarkow wrote:
Done. Great poll!
I added it to a new section on which campaigns to buy first.

ArkhamChronicle wrote:
Hello.

Is there any way you could add the Arkham Chronicle YouTube channel to the list of misc resources? We have been making beginner friendly videos on this game for almost two years and have more than a hundred videos exploring every aspect of the game from rules, to deckbuilding, to accessories and more.

Cheers,

The Arkham Chronicle Gang
https://www.youtube.com/c/arkhamchronicle
Done. Thanks for making so many great videos!

flaeryn wrote:
I think it would be a good idea to explain what the Grim Rule is if you are going to mention it. I've only played the core scenarios and had to look it up after reading this FAQ because I had no idea what you were talking about!
Done. Thanks for helping make this a great resource!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: HumanistMicrobadge: I love games with direct player interactionMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: I love games with a hidden traitorMicrobadge: God plays dice
Love that you did this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Johann Sebastian Bach fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The Mystic
Just added a section on game accessories and upgrades at the bottom.
Anything anyone wants to add?

I've never purchased anything further than coin capsules, so I just posted stuff I found by searching the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Little did I know that this would have the added benefit of making them heftier, easier to shuffle, and more physically satisfying to handle.
So the same reasons why we sleeve cards then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Little did I know that this would have the added benefit of making them heftier, easier to shuffle, and more physically satisfying to handle.
Right now, I find that a core set of Chaos tokens fits just fine in two compartments of the Broken Token organizer.

Will they still fit in that way if in capsules? Or will I need three (or more) compartments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
gillum wrote:
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Right now, I find that a core set of Chaos tokens fits just fine in two compartments of the Broken Token organizer.

Will they still fit in that way if in capsules? Or will I need three (or more) compartments?
They are significantly thicker (more than 2x). I don’t have a measuring tool handy, so here are some relative measurements. First is two stacks of 5 tokens/capsules side by side. The next picture is 12 tokens next to 5 capsules, reaching about the same height. There’s about a 2mm difference in diameter.

From gallery of SJacobsen159

From gallery of SJacobsen159
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Vrolijk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: Solosaurus podcast fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games "The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth" Contest Participant
I'm getting increasingly interested in AH:LCG, but I have a couple questions before I dive in.

I'm quite new to the Arkham Files, and my entry point has been the Arkham Horror 3rd Edition (AH3E) board game. I really like it, and find at the core that the thematic elements combined with the health/sanity dual HP system to be a rather compelling package. I have a very erratic work schedule, so I often play the game solo and have found that to be an enjoyable experience.

The big issue I have with AH3E is that I can't get a game to last less than 120-150 minutes, even solo. This prevents me from hopping in and engaging with what's a fun core as often as I'd like.

I've never played a LCG, but I had heard that AH3E "learned" a bit form AH:LCG and after watching some videos on it, it seems like something quite up my alley; I like how you "create" a map of locations and move around, the health/sanity system and skill checks are there, and it look like it matches a lot of the same systematic decisions you make in AH3E through different mechanics. As a bonus, it also seems like it would take much less table space. And perhaps the biggest thing is that, from what I understand, a single scenario can be completed in 45 to 90 minutes when playing solo.

My biggest concern is the financial investment. I'm not against spending money on it, but I'd much rather do it because I want to spend money on it, not because I feel I need to because the game is missing something.

So my question is this: for a player who would be predominantly playing solo (and has little to no experience with LCG or deck building), occasionally adding in a second player who likely isn't familiar with the game, would starting with Core+Dunwich be a satisfying, "complete" package? I don't mind replaying scenarios – I've been doing that quite a bit with both AH3E and Fallout – as long as there's mechanical depth there to be able to switch things up and be forced to tackle the same challenges in different ways. In other words, if AH:LCG wasn't an LCG, just a card game, would Core+Dunwich be an appealing package? And if I enjoy almost everything about AH3E except I'd like a game that hits a lot of the same themes/ideas but can be played in half the time, am I looking in the right place here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
buffaloseven wrote:

So my question is this: for a player who would be predominantly playing solo (and has little to no experience with LCG or deck building), occasionally adding in a second player who likely isn't familiar with the game, would starting with Core+Dunwich be a satisfying, "complete" package? I don't mind replaying scenarios – I've been doing that quite a bit with both AH3E and Fallout – as long as there's mechanical depth there to be able to switch things up and be forced to tackle the same challenges in different ways. In other words, if AH:LCG wasn't an LCG, just a card game, would Core+Dunwich be an appealing package? And if I enjoy almost everything about AH3E except I'd like a game that hits a lot of the same themes/ideas but can be played in half the time, am I looking in the right place here?
I'd say there's a strong possibility that you'd enjoy it as a complete package. I got dozens of plays just from the just core and the Dunwich cycle. You can always buy more later if you end up really liking it. All [elder] signs point to this being in print for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buffaloseven wrote:
In other words, if AH:LCG wasn't an LCG, just a card game, would Core+Dunwich be an appealing package?
Yes. But do you mean Dunwich the Deluxe expansion or Dunwich the Deluxe expansion plus it six Mythos packs? Dunwich + the six Mythos packs would make a complete campaign and are worth their money.
But the core game alone would be a good entry, too. The Dunwich cycle isn't running anywhere
With Dunwich the Deluxe expansion you are getting four more investigators, which would offer many more replays for solo play.

Edit: Please see "Should I buy two core sets?" in the first post (if not already).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Vrolijk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card GameMicrobadge: Solosaurus podcast fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games "The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth" Contest Participant
SJacobsen159 wrote:
I'd say there's a strong possibility that you'd enjoy it as a complete package. I got dozens of plays just from the just core and the Dunwich cycle. You can always buy more later if you end up really liking it. All [elder] signs point to this being in print for a long time.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that you've gotten a lot of replays out of that set of content.

raWeird wrote:
Yes. But do you mean Dunwich the Deluxe expansion or Dunwich the Deluxe expansion plus it six Mythos packs? Dunwich + the six Mythos packs would make a complete campaign and are worth their money.
But the core game alone would be a good entry, too. The Dunwich cycle isn't running anywhere
With Dunwich the Deluxe expansion you are getting four more investigators, which would offer many more replays for solo play.

Edit: Please see "Should I buy two core sets?" in the first post (if not already).
I meant the entire Dunwich cycle, Deluxe Expansion + Mythos. I don't think I'd go in on two core sets right now simply because I think I'd be more interested in replaying as different characters than having more deck-building opportunities (for now at least). Plus, it seems like the core is actually difficult to find right now, only one of my FLGS has a copy and many online Canadian retailers are low on stock. Not sure why that is, but seems like it's much easier to just get a single core right now.

Good to hear that Dunwich is worth it's cost, though. It's really seeming like the LCG would scratch that itch of AH3E without the time commitment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Ahders
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through 2018 Super Fan!Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Tiny Epic Galaxies fan
I would also add aurbits.com as another source for quality Chaos Tokens and some other bling...

From gallery of warda

Gold-plated fiberglass that are (occasionally terrifyingly) beautiful, and definitely need to be placed in coin holders to maintain their looks. Pricey but along with Team Covenant tokens and boards makes for fantastic game play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: NihilistMicrobadge: Minion of HasturMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
warda wrote:
I would also add aurbits.com as another source for quality Chaos Tokens and some other bling...

From gallery of warda

Gold-plated fiberglass that are (occasionally terrifyingly) beautiful, and definitely need to be placed in coin holders to maintain their looks. Pricey but along with Team Covenant tokens and boards makes for fantastic game play!
What size capsules and are they loose inside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Ahders
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through 2018 Super Fan!Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Tiny Epic Galaxies fan
26mm - From Amazon: 25 Air-Tite Direct Fit "A26" Coin Holders SMALL DOLLAR. Most of the tokens are snug, but occasionally depending on manufacture one may be a little loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Hi,

May I ask how much tokens of each type is enough for a 4 players game? (Double the size of original game or greater?)

I found this shop on amazon that makes good looking tokens upgrade and I want to calculate how much to spend on them:
https://www.amazon.com/Litko-Game-Accessories-Horror-Adventu...

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
More is better. They are cheap, and you can always use the surplus for custom investigator or connection tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I drank paintMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
Gonsword wrote:
May I ask how much tokens of each type is enough for a 4 players game? (Double the size of original game or greater?)
You'll need 2 core sets for 4 players, for tokens as well as player cards. Enjoy your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: NihilistMicrobadge: Minion of HasturMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
Buy your tokens from BuyTheSameToken. They are the best. For inserts Go7Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Have anyone tried using D20 dice instead of the chaos bad and tokens? Using a sheet of paper, number 1 to 20, put tokens in each number and use the dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Unearth fanMicrobadge: Six fanMicrobadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: Gold game player. At least 5,000 logged game plays!
Gonsword wrote:
Have anyone tried using D20 dice instead of the chaos bad and tokens? Using a sheet of paper, number 1 to 20, put tokens in each number and use the dice?
Yes, certainly someone has tried. But I wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I drank paintMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
Gonsword wrote:
Everything you need is in the two core boxes, no need to substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
Gonsword wrote:
D20s are never perfectly balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Thank you
Does anyone buy 2 box of "The forgotten ages" and "The circle undone"? It seem the deck building guide suggest buy two box of each expansion to be able to create 4 decks with 4 investigator in each expanaion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
There’s no need to buy two of anything other than the core. The only exceptions I can think of is if you’re the main card supplier for a moderate sized group, or a super deck builder who likes having several overlapping decks built at the same time.

I presume for 99% of folks, 2x core 1x everything else is the max you would need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
SJacobsen159 wrote:

Here's a poll thread that gauges people's enjoyment of the various scenarios.
This part can be removed because the creator of that thread is not on BGG anymore and his posts are apparently deleted (including this poll).

Here's the graph of the most recent results before it disappeared:

From gallery of baba44713

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
Sindriss wrote:
Buy your tokens from BuyTheSameToken. They are the best. For inserts Go7Gaming.
Added these to the accessories section. Thanks!

baba44713 wrote:
SJacobsen159 wrote:

Here's a poll thread that gauges people's enjoyment of the various scenarios.
This part can be removed because the creator of that thread is not on BGG anymore and his posts are apparently deleted (including this poll).

Here's the graph of the most recent results before it disappeared:

From gallery of baba44713

It's always a shame when someone deletes their account. So much information lost, and it makes it tough for people to parse out old threads. I know this person used to answer questions in the forums pretty consistently. Now all of his answers are gone. As is the content he made (such as the poll).

It's certainly in anyone's rights to delete their stuff, but it's still sad.

I added this graph to the FAQ, thanks for posting it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I updated links and the wording of various sections to make it more current. It still may not be perfectly up to date, but it's close and that's all the time I have for the moment. If anyone notices anything out of date or a dead link, let me know and I'll fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |