Long Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Hi guys, another question: is it possible to do a campaign with 2 or more investigators of the same class? Should it always be different class (I think even with 2 core set, there may not be enough card but I am still curious)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: NihilistMicrobadge: Minion of HasturMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
Gonsword wrote:
Hi guys, another question: is it possible to do a campaign with 2 or more investigators of the same class? Should it always be different class (I think even with 2 core set, there may not be enough card but I am still curious)
Yes any combination is legal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Blue Collar Geek
Gonsword wrote:
“Class” can be misleading. For example, you could (if you wanted) build a deck for Roland (the Guardian Fed) using only Seeker and Neutral cards, with no Guardian cards at all.

Usually, you will want Investigators that aren’t the same, and there are many good teams that don’t overlap a lot of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Gaia Project fan
Gonsword wrote:
The question always ends up being "are there enough copies of the cards in my collection to build these decks": you can have 2 investigators from different class who each requires 2 copies of the same card (for example Shortcut for Daisy and Roland) or 2 investigators from the same class who use very different cards (for example Rex with only cards to investigate and Daisy will a majority of mystic cards and Tome items).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wyszomirski
Poland
Rumia
pomorskie
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Let's play by these rules - the ones actually in the rulebookMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: I sneak board games into the houseMicrobadge: I play from my gut! (and it's not very good)Microbadge: I play for fun, not to win!
Hey guys, I think I have resurrected the poll. Let me know if it works for you and if it updates correctly. If not, we will have to do a new one from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pessoa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Just finished the core campaign more then once and ready for next campaign. Was reading for Dunwich Legacy and found out that the deluxe boxes comes with a lot of new cards and the mythos packs comes with a few cards for each class as long some upgrade cards too (1-5 xp).

My question is, it's better to deck build with the deluxe box only or buy all the packs for initial deck for the whole campaign? The cards that is available on which new pack are fun enough to wait the surprise and evolve through the scenarios or is better to jump right away on deck building with them all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: The Sandman fanMicrobadge: This place intentionally left blank.Microbadge: I edit my posts in the quest for perfetcion.Microbadge: Blue Collar Geek
papessoa wrote:
Just finished the core campaign more then once and ready for next campaign. Was reading for Dunwich Legacy and found out that the deluxe boxes comes with a lot of new cards and the mythos packs comes with a few cards for each class as long some upgrade cards too (1-5 xp).

My question is, it's better to deck build with the deluxe box only or buy all the packs for initial deck for the whole campaign? The cards that is available on which new pack are fun enough to wait the surprise and evolve through the scenarios or is better to jump right away on deck building with them all?
There's no real surprises or story-based evolutions when it comes to Player cards, it's best to open up all the packs, sort out the Player cards, and use all that for deckbuilding. Otherwise, you're halfway through a campaign and you discover a decent Level 0 card that might have been fun if you had known about it but it's not worth your XP to include it now, so it just doesn't get used. (Or you houserule that Level 0 Cards are free to add)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonsword wrote:
Other than card limitations it is perfectly possible to run single class parties. Here is our explantion.

https://youtu.be/OPcsncFAdX4

Every year many Arkham content creators (including FFG) get to together and design single class team investigators.

Just search for

#AllPurpleAllTheTime

and

#AllYellowAllTheTime

They are a great deal of fun and we definitely recommend them.

The Arkham Chronicle Gang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
But what about sleeves? Should I sleeve or not sleeve? laugh

Good stuff! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bayonet Recon wrote:

Good stuff! Thank you.
was answered elsewhere, can be found with a search http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arkham+horror+sleeves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
raWeird wrote:
Bayonet Recon wrote:

Good stuff! Thank you.
was answered elsewhere, can be found with a search http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arkham+horror+sleeves
This is intended for new players, right? There are sections dedicated to storage and accessories but no mention of sleeves. Adding a link to the card sleeves geeklist entry for the game would be a helpful addition to an all encompassing guide.

Card Sleeve Sizes
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/item/5056153#item5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob W
United States
NC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Starting my day with solo playMicrobadge: Solo EurogamerMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: If you're not willing to lose all your friends over a board game, you're not playing hard enough.Microbadge: Solo wargamer
So, one of the reasons I sold Lord of the Rings LCG is because I didn't want to keep spending money on expansions and mostly because you have to create a specific type of deck for nearly every scenario - or you should do so. Is it the case with this game as well or can I pretty much play the basic decks for most scenarios? If I don't have to create a unique deck for every scenario, I'm keeping this - i can deal with a scenario here and there that may require a tweak but I like to create an optimal deck for all or most scenarios. Is this possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
For the best experience you will want to play campaign - although playing the campaign scenarios standalone (like Lotr ones) is possible.

In campaign play not only don't you need to significantly change your deck between scenarios, you're not even allowed to. You make minor adjustments/improvement by upgrading or replacing cards via exp (to the tune of replacing maybe 0-4 or so cards depending on exp gain and cost of desired purchases), but no huge rebuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
diesel2sour -

AHLCG deckbuilding is much much less work than LotR deckbuilding. For starters, every deck is a single character and the primary "combos" are between that character and your deck (e.g. Agnes can do damage when she takes Horror, so she likes Forbidden Knowledge, which causes Horror). As Weltenreiter says, you progress through a (typically eight Scenario) Campaign with the same deck, only making minor tweaks along the way.

However, be aware that "the basic decks" that the game suggests for each Investigator are crap, it makes a real difference to spend just a little time building a deck before each Campaign - you don't have to know the Campaign first, you just have to make your Investigator(s) a little better than the starting decks. Also, there is a very strong incentive to keep buying more - not so much because you need more Player cards for your decks (although that can get addictive also) but because the game draws most of us in and we keep wanting the next Campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
diesel2sour wrote:
So, one of the reasons I sold Lord of the Rings LCG is because I didn't want to keep spending money on expansions and mostly because you have to create a specific type of deck for nearly every scenario - or you should do so. Is it the case with this game as well or can I pretty much play the basic decks for most scenarios? If I don't have to create a unique deck for every scenario, I'm keeping this - i can deal with a scenario here and there that may require a tweak but I like to create an optimal deck for all or most scenarios. Is this possible?
You build one deck and spend XP to upgrade it with cards after each scenario, usually one to two, but maybe none if you want to bank XP. I recommend just finding a very popular deck on Arkhamdb.com, that aligns with an investigator you like, and playing that through an entire scenario.

This author and this author have some outstanding choices with high quality outlines of the best path for upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello, thanks for this wonderful thread !

Based on the "unavailable and defunct poll", it looks like to me that the "best" campaign to go after having finished the core set is The Path to Carcosa Cycle. All this pink at the right end !

That would mean essentially skipping Dunwich, its scenario being ranked lower.
Anything wrong with that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
Jahz wrote:

Based on the "unavailable and defunct poll", it looks like to me that the "best" campaign to go after having finished the core set is The Path to Carcosa Cycle. All this pink at the right end !

Not at all. I will say, Dunwich has some pretty awesome player cards, but from a story perspective, you aren't missing anything by skipping it. I hope you go back, though, because it is a good one! Carcosa is just the bees knees, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sylvester
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Jahz wrote:

No, but I’d recommend Dunwich first. It has player cards that fill out a few slots missing from the core, and it also sets up some expectations that Carcosa subverts.

But, Carcosa is amazing, so if you want to dive right in, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Danner
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sylvion fanMicrobadge: Take it off of my face!Microbadge: AH LCG - The RogueMicrobadge: Oh my Goods! fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
Jahz wrote:

If you are just dipping your toes into the game and want one only, then absolutely. It’s a consistently satisfying campaign. If you catch the bug, you can always backtrack. Two of the best scenarios of all time are in Dunwich, House always wins, where doom awaits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: I like to climb stuffMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fan
brdanner wrote:
Jahz wrote:

If you are just dipping your toes into the game and want one only, then absolutely. It’s a consistently satisfying campaign. If you catch the bug, you can always backtrack. Two of the best scenarios of all time are in Dunwich, House always wins, where doom awaits.
Ah, yes, Where Doom Awaits, the absolute best scenario we g.. wait what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Danner
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sylvion fanMicrobadge: Take it off of my face!Microbadge: AH LCG - The RogueMicrobadge: Oh my Goods! fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
baba44713 wrote:
brdanner wrote:
Jahz wrote:

Ah, yes, Where Doom Awaits, the absolute best scenario we g.. wait what?
Oh, didn’t get this until I realized that I meant Blood on the Altar, where Leo de Luca once got snatched up by the encounter deck. The first time this happened freaked me out in the best sense, and I wished more scenarios followed up with this type of mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
"By God's blood, thy father slew mine, and so will I do thee and all thy kin!"
Microbadge: Trail of Cthulhu RPG fanMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Green Ribbon (Mental Illness Awareness)Microbadge: Middle-Earth Role Playing (MERP) RPG fanMicrobadge: Game Boy fan
Great initial post/write-up, many thanks from a newbie!!!

Answered many question I had without needing to bug the forums to death ... Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wonder if there should be an entry in the FAQ about resources for one-handed solo play. Also, does anyone have a good resource dedicated to one-handed solo play? The notes on decks on ArkhamDB.com are a little beyond on my skill-level and I'd love to have a blog post or two to hold my hand (ridiculous metaphor, but evocative?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hermann

California
msg tools
Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Legendary Encounters fan - Colonial MarinesMicrobadge: RUN!!!Microbadge: Burgle Bros. fan
Just starting out... would y’all recommend starting with the “Return to...” boxes for NotZ/DL specifically? Or keep those out until subsequent plays? (The reason I ask is there seems to be some out there that feel these scenarios specifically are “fixed” by their respective boxes... so if the option now exists to only play the new/latest/fixed versions while skipping the original, would that be recommended?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Bmhermann wrote:
Just starting out... would y’all recommend starting with the “Return to...” boxes for NotZ/DL specifically? Or keep those out until subsequent plays? (The reason I ask is there seems to be some out there that feel these scenarios specifically are “fixed” by their respective boxes... so if the option now exists to only play the new/latest/fixed versions while skipping the original, would that be recommended?)
No. "Return to" primarily adds replay value, and that's certainly true for NotZ/DL. They are good (not perfect) Campaigns in their original form, and playing then in their original form first adds to that replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |