Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WE played this for the first time last night and had some questions that I have not been able to find answers for.

1) Final major scoring
If the game ends due to a player takes an action that initiates a major scoring, is there an additional major scoring because of the game ending?

Examples- player closes the 11th region, player has two creatures left and uses one to close the 8th region and his other to close the 9th region

2) Trading food chips
Can you only trade victory points for food chips when you are the winning bidder of an auction and are short or can you also trade during your turn?

3) Abilities
I have seen where some say that the Mobility and Aggresion abilities in essence give a player a free action, not needing a terain card. We were playing that they enhanced the action a player was taking in a region where they played a terain card (e.g. when migrating could swap places with an already existing creature, could attack in a region that was not completely full). Adding free actions seems very powerful for those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules questions
The food chip question was worked out in another article:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24466

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garlic-13 Aniballi
United States
Carpentersville
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Psauberer (#33543),
Once the 11th region is filled, the game ends. By this time if a previously scored region opens up it doesn't score if filled up again. If the game ends with the major scoring for the last reigon filling up that is the end of the game. If the game ends from running out of creature tokens, this triggers the special end of game scoring. Ie: there is only one major scoring round at the end of game, regardless of how it ends.

To your third question. The rules as they're printed on the card. For agression you must be making an attack by playing a card, it just lifts the restriction that the area need be full. The mobility card, on the other had, is a free swap of tokens and doesn't require the use of a card. The drawback in the case of these two abilities is that they're limited, so you can easiliy have them stolen away from you by another player.

I hope that makes sense/helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSolarGarlic (#33579),

Let me see if I have this straight. Let's say that 7 regions have been filled and scored. I have two creatures left and it's my turn. I fill an 8th region prompting an immediate minor scoring of 4 points for me (and setting up a major scoring at the end of my turn). Then I use my last creature to fill the 9th region, gaining me 5 points in a minor scoring. We now do the major scoring that was prompted by the filling of the 8th region. The game is now over and no second major scoring is triggered by the game ending.

However, if we already had 8 regions filled and I had filled out the 9th and 10th regions with my last two creatures we would have had another major scoring. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 (#33575),

Thanks Ray. I don't know how I skipped that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSolarGarlic wrote:

To your third question. The rules as they're printed on the card. For agression you must be making an attack by playing a card, it just lifts the restriction that the area need be full. The mobility card, on the other had, is a free swap of tokens and doesn't require the use of a card. The drawback in the case of these two abilities is that they're limited, so you can easiliy have them stolen away from you by another player.

I just looked at the Aggression ability. It doesn't say that you have to be making an attack by using a card, just that you "Place one of your creatures into a space of a region where you have the 'Attack' adaptation."

In this way, it seems similar to the Mobility ability. Is the Mobility a free "super Migrate" action and the Aggression a free "super Attack" action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garlic-13 Aniballi
United States
Carpentersville
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Psauberer (#33590),

Let me see if I have this straight. Let's say that 7 regions have been filled and scored. I have two creatures left and it's my turn. I fill an 8th region prompting an immediate minor scoring of 4 points for me (and setting up a major scoring at the end of my turn). Then I use my last creature to fill the 9th region, gaining me 5 points in a minor scoring. We now do the major scoring that was prompted by the filling of the 8th region. The game is now over and no second major scoring is triggered by the game ending.

To your first part you are correct.

However, if we already had 8 regions filled and I had filled out the 9th and 10th regions with my last two creatures we would have had another major scoring. Right?

Yes. There is always a major scoring round to end the game, wether it falls on one of the purple scoring trigger boxes on the points track or not.

Hope this helps clarffy somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garlic-13 Aniballi
United States
Carpentersville
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:

I just looked at the Aggression ability. It doesn't say that you have to be making an attack by using a card, just that you "Place one of your creatures into a space of a region where you have the 'Attack' adaptation."

In this way, it seems similar to the Mobility ability. Is the Mobility a free "super Migrate" action and the Aggression a free "super Attack" action?

I pulled out the cards and re-read them. There does appear to be room for interpretation/mis-interpretation. Here would be my take.

Aggression removes the opponents creature from the game. It requires the 'attack' adaptaion. We've played this as reading 'once per turn, when making an attack the region you are attacking into need not be filled.' Thus, still an attack, still requiring a card play.

Mobility just juggles around the creatures on the board, it doesn't bring one in from off board like aggression does. We've played this as a free ablity, limited to the one use per turn on the card. You *could* interpret this as requiring a card play. But we never have. And honestly, it's never presented itself as unbalanced when playing this way. Using agression as a free play, on the other hand, could be unbalanced.

Keep in mind, while thse are strong abilities they do bounce around very frequently. It's hard to use them again and again without exausting your ability card plays to take them back.

Until official clarification is given or unearthed you'll just have to agree on what works best for your game. As I've said, we've played it as I describe above several times without issue.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I e-mailed Uberplay and got this ruling:

Do the Aggression & Mobility cards actually give a player another action or do they simply allow a player to attack and swap with actions they already have?

They actually give you an additional action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that after taking an ability card, "The action of the Ability card is available for use immediately".

The "Food" card, though says you get the 2 VPs at the beginning of each turn. Are we correct in playing that the food card therefore can't help you until your next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredact (#48506),
We play it so that you can get 2 victory points for it on the turn you aquire the ability Fred. Otherwise it would be incredibly weak compared to all the other abilities. I believe ALL abilities can be used on the turn you receive it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SwedeLad (#49598),

The card is clear that you don't, but I tend to agree.

There are enough places the rules are unclear that I would really like a clarification sheet with the blessing of the publisher or the author. Kramer was quick to respond to questions about Maharajah, maybe he can be asked similarly about Wildlife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSolarGarlic (#33610),

Why do you believe that there wouldn't be two major scoring rounds? The rules seem pretty clear that there is a scoring roung when the eighth region is completed and at the end of the game.

If you maintain that there is only one, what if someone filled the eigth, ninth, tenth and eleventh region on their turn? Still only one score?

Or the case where a player fills fourth through eighth region in a turn (using aggression and mobility) without ending the game?

Happy Gaming,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beckey
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSolarGarlic wrote:
Psauberer wrote:

I pulled out the cards and re-read them. There does appear to be room for interpretation/mis-interpretation. Here would be my take.

Aggression removes the opponents creature from the game. It requires the 'attack' adaptaion. We've played this as reading 'once per turn, when making an attack the region you are attacking into need not be filled.' Thus, still an attack, still requiring a card play.

Mobility just juggles around the creatures on the board, it doesn't bring one in from off board like aggression does. We've played this as a free ablity, limited to the one use per turn on the card. You *could* interpret this as requiring a card play. But we never have. And honestly, it's never presented itself as unbalanced when playing this way. Using agression as a free play, on the other hand, could be unbalanced.

Keep in mind, while thse are strong abilities they do bounce around very frequently. It's hard to use them again and again without exausting your ability card plays to take them back.

Until official clarification is given or unearthed you'll just have to agree on what works best for your game. As I've said, we've played it as I describe above several times without issue.

Hope this helps.

Using the Agression Ability Card is an independent action, so it does NOT require an additional WildLife Card. Example, if I can attack in Water, I can do so without using a Water card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.