Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, all! This thread will have official rulings on any questions that might come up - whether from the Level99 Discord or the game forums here. Things stated here are either in the Rulebook FAQ or were asked in various threads - all Rulebook FAQ questions are repeated in this thread.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! So far things have been pretty good, but never hurts to have any ambiguities stamped out.

Official Errata:

Quote:

Emogine:
Emogine's Transformations specify "When you set a Wild Swing, your next valid attack gains" instead of "When you set a Wild Swing, it gains" to clarify what happens if her Wild Swing is invalid and must be replaced (e.g., if she reveals an Ultra Attack she cannot afford). Note: Replacing an attack with a Wild Swing due to the attack being invalid does not count as setting a new Wild Swing. Emogine cannot "set a Wild Swing" more than once per Strike.
Emogine's Reference Card has The Hecatoncheir printed on both sides. Her normal character ability should be as printed on her character card.

Eugenia:
Color Spray's Transformation reads "When you set a Wild Swing or EX Attack, your next valid attack gains" instead of "when you set a Wild Swing or EX attack, it gains", to clarify what happens if she replaces her Wild Swing or EX Attack with an invalid Ultra Attack. See Emogine notes above.

Galdred:
Blood Frenzy reads "Hit: You may Transform a card from your hand." instead of "Hit: You may Transform from a card from your hand." This is a typo fix with no mechanical effect.

Renea:
Renea's Exceed side reads: "When you Exceed, flip any face-down Continuous Boosts put into play by Renea's ability." before all other text. This is an errata to fix an interaction where Boosts could be otherwise locked out face-down. Resolve any Now effects on those Boosts.

Shovel Knight:
Propeller Dagger reads "Hit: You may spend 1 Gauge. If you do, return this card to your hand when the Strike ends." instead of "Hit: You may spend 1 Gauge. If you do, return this card to your hand."
Grasp has the Continuous Boost symbol on Fierce. As-printed, it is not present.

Umina:
Dreamlands reads: "Discard any cards here before a new one is placed. You may Strike with the card here. When you strike with the card here or a copy of that card, you have Stun Immunity." instead of "Discard any cards here before a new one is placed. You may Strike with this card. When you strike with this card or a copy of this card you have Stun Immunity." This is only a clarification with no mechanical change.

Rules FAQs:
General:
Quote:
Miscellaneous:

Q: Can I ask how many cards are in my opponent’s hand?
A: Yes. This information is open knowledge to all players.

Q: If an effect allows me to spend something to gain a bonus, like 1 Force for +1 Power, can I do that multiple times?
A: No. Anything that lets you use it multiple times will be specifically stated (“You may spend up to 3 Force. For each Force spent, +1 Power.”)

Q: If an effect causes me to search my deck, do I have to shuffle afterwards?
A: Yes. Anytime you search your deck, you must shuffle afterwards.

Q: If an effect says player(s) draw "up to 3" cards, how is this resolved?
A: Each player can draw 0, 1, 2, or 3 cards. Players choose separately, regardless of who caused the draw to happen.

Movement:

Q: Can I Pull an opponent past me?
A: Yes. Pull works just like forcing the opponent to Advance, and can move the opponent past you.

Q: When do I skip the opponent's space when moving?
A: Movements always ignore the opponent's space, moving past them as if that space did not exist. So if the board position is xxxYOxxxx, advancing 3 would put you at xxxxOxxYx. This applies to Advance, Move (if you choose to advance), and Pull effects - Pulling the opponent past you causes them to skip your space and move the full distance. If you use the Move Action, it costs 1 additional Force to move past an opponent.

Special Zones and Card Ownership:

Q: Can I transform an opponent's cards I have taken with Umina's Dreamlands or Eugenia's Wonderland?
A: No. Opponent's cards can be in their Special Zone (Dreamlands, Wonderland, Etc.), in your gauge, or in your boost area as a continuous boost. They can also be sealed as part of a card effect. If they would go anywhere else, they are sent to their owner's discard instead. If you hit the opponent with one of their Transformable cards, you'll probably want to take it as Gauge instead.

Strikes, Ultras, and Wild Swings

Q: If I deal extra damage during a Strike using a bonus like Luciya's ability, Zsolt's exceed ability, or Eugenia's ability, how does it interact with Armor and Guard?
A: Both are checked against the total damage during a Strike. If Luciya does 4 damage and then moves past the opponent for 5 total damage, that can stun an opposing Spike's 4 Guard. If she moves past an opponent playing Focus, the damage would be eaten by Armor and then the 1 remaining point of Armor would prevent 1 more damage, so the opponent would take (4+1-2) 3 total damage.

Q: If I Wild Swing into an Ultra, do I have to play it if I have the Gauge to pay for it?
A: You may pay the Gauge and use an Ultra that you Wild Swing into, but you do not have to. If you do not have the gauge or do not want to pay for a Wild Swing Ultra, it is considered an invalid attack and replaced with a new Wild Swing as normal.

Q: What if I have no cards in my hand and a Strike occurs?
A: You must perform a Wild Swing.

Q: If I am allowed to pay for an Ultra using something other than Gauge from an effect and I play the Ultra from hand, am I required to pay for it?
A: Yes. An Ultra played from hand must be paid for, even if you must use an alternate method of generating Gauge. If you Wild Swing into it, however, you may invalidate it if you do not wish to pay.

Q: If I EX an Ultra Attack, do I pay the Gauge cost for each copy?
A: No. The Gauge Cost is only paid once.

Q: If a Transformation gives me a trigger "When I set a wild swing" and that Wild Swing is invalid, does the replacement wild swing gain that trigger?
A: If a Transformation (like Eugenia's Color Spray Transformation that says "When you set an EX Attack or Wild Swing, it gains Hit: The opponent discards a card at random.") grants a trigger when you set a wild swing, that trigger is granted to the final valid attack. A wild swing is only set once (replacement wild swings after an invalid attack are not set) so only one copy of the trigger will ever be granted.

Q: If an attack is coming from another source, do “Attacks at range 1 do not hit you” effects care about the character’s position or the other source’s position?
A: The range is measured from the other source’s position, being the attack’s point of origin.

Q: Can the Active player be stunned (for the purpose of card effects) if the Reactive player hits back and breaks their Guard?
A: Yes.

Transformations and Boosts:

Q: I’m using an effect that cancels an opponent’s Boost, when does that happen?
A: Canceling a boost happens after costs are paid but before decisions are made (like what card is named for the Parry boost). The player still draws at end of turn.

Q: When do “playing” and “resolving” a card occur for effects that care about it? What about effects that cause a Strike?
A: Played: After spending costs, but before effects. Resolved: After effects occur. For effects causing Strikes, “Played” is the same. Resolving happens after effects, but before the Strike. Discarding the card happens after resolution, if it is not Continuous. Continuous Boosts are resolved after any Now: effects occur (if there are none, then they are resolved as soon as they are added to the boost area).

Q: For boosts that cause a Strike, when are they considered “resolved”?
A: The Boost is resolved right before the Strike begins. As such, any effects that trigger “after resolving an Immediate Boost”, will happen before you set your card for the Strike.

Q: For Transforms that cause an effect to happen “When you Prepare”, is that before or after drawing your card?
A: Draw your card from Prepare, resolve the effect, and then draw your card for end of turn.

Life, Damage, and Losing the Game

Q: What happens if I Wild Swing with no deck and I’ve already reshuffled?
A: You lose the game.

Q: Can my life go above its maximum?
A: No.

Q: What is non-lethal damage?
A: Damage that cannot bring the opponent below 1 life. For example, if an opponent with 3 life is dealt 5 non-lethal damage, they take 2 damage.

Q: If, during a Strike, the opponent has 1 life and play Focus will non-lethal damage still count against their Armor?
A: Yes, because the damage itself is not reducing their life below 1. (See: Luciya moving past the opponent on Hit or Eugenia causing damage from discarding cards on Hit)

Character Specific:

Quote:
Celinka:
Q: If Baelkhor seals one of Celinka’s cards, does it go to your sealed area?
A: No. Cards sealed by Baelkhor go to his own sealed area.

D'Janette:
Q: What is the timing on D’Janette’s starting character ability?
A: First, place the Spell Circle on any space on the board. Then, place a Special or Ultra Attack from your hand on it. Lastly, draw a card from the ability and an additional card for end of turn.

Q: If D’Janette’s Spell Circle is on the board, can I use the Reading boost instead of simply Striking?
A: No. Once you have placed the Spell Circle, your next turn must only be used to initiate a Strike.

Q: Does D’Janette’s Affliction Transform affect Special Attacks in D’Janette’s Diabolic Aura?
A: Yes. It affects all Special Attacks, even in her hand.

Q: Can Characters share a space with D’Janette’s Spell Circle?

Q: Can D’Janette perform an EX attack from her Spell Circle?
A: No. She can only place a card on it and can’t discard another copy of that card for an EX.

Q: If D'Janette plays an invalid Ultra from her Spell Circle, does the replacement Wild Swing calculate Range from her Spell Circle?

Emogine:
Q: If Emogine spends Gauge as Force, does she gain life from her "When spending 1 or more Gauge, gain 1 life." Transformation?
A: Yes. Spending Gauge as Force counts for both "When spending Gauge" and "When spending Force" effects.

Eugenia:
Q: If I have two copies of Cat’s Cradle’s Continuous Boost in play, does the opponent draw at end of a turn in which they Prepared?
A: Yes. It only reduces the card drawn from the Prepare action itself.

Q: For Werelight and its boost, which player must discard cards?
A: Eugenia is always the source of the effects, so her opponent must discard cards or be pushed. They do, however, choose which effect Eugenia resolves.

Q: Can Wonderland or Dreamlands be used to perform an EX Attack?
A: No. You may only place one card on these and may not discard another copy of that card from your hand to perform an EX Attack.

Q: If Eugenia plays an invalid Ultra Attack from Wonderland, does the replacement Wild Swing gain Wonderland's bonuses?
A: No. The Wild Swing was not in Wonderland.

Galdred:
Q: Can Galdred use his Exceed Mode's special attack on any Strike or just his initial flip?
A: Any Strike. When he chooses to use it, he does not spend a card. If he is the attacker, he announces that he is using it before the defender sets their card.

Q: If a character with a “When you Exceed” ability on their Exceed Mode is hit with Galdred’s Metamorphosis, what happens?
A: That ability resolves immediately, before you deal damage. If the opponent is playing Sydney and Serena, the attack’s damage is dealt to Serena.

Iaquis:
Q: If Iaquis' "After:Add your attack to your Gauge." Transformation is in play, will this let you Transform your attack if it has a Transformation?
A: No. It can still be added to Gauge, but it cannot be Transformed since it did not hit.

Luciya:
Q: When paying for an Ultra, does The Thunderbird put any Gauge spent into play as a Continuous Boost immediately?
A: Yes. The cost is paid (and The Thunderbird's ability activates) immediately as the card is revealed and valid.

Q: When using Bug Zapper, does paying for multiple Advance effects let you cross over the opponent multiple times?
A: Yes. Spend all Force before resolving any Advance effects.

Q: When taking a Move action to move past the opponent, is spent Force discarded before or after moving (and resolving character ability)?
A: Before.

Q: If Luciya moves past the opponent with her Transformation before setting her card for a Strike, can this damage stun the opponent if they reveal an attack with no Guard?
A: No, the damage was not dealt during the Strike.

Minato:
Q: Can Minato spend Gauge and then seal that same card from his discard as part of a Gauge cost? Or discard a card and then seal it as part of a Force cost?
A: No. Costs are paid simultaneously and in full, so he cannot double-spend the same card.

Renea:
Q: If Renea uses her Exceed action, what happens to any face-down Continuous Boosts she has in play?
A: They are flipped as well. Resolve their Now: effects.

Q: When exactly does Renea flip cards for her regular ability?
A: Before she sets her card(s) for a Strike. If she is the attacker, it is the first thing that happens. If she is the defender, it happens after the opponent has set their attack.

Seijun
Q: If Seijun draws or discards cards during the Strike, does it change her Guard value immediately?
A: Yes. However, if she discards a card after having taken damage and this drops her Guard below the damage she took, she will not be stunned (stun only checks at the moment of taking damage).

Shovel Knight
Q: If Shovel Knight uses Propeller Dagger's Hit: effect, when does it return to hand?
A: It returns to hand after the Strike ends.

Syrus
Q: If Syrus has Memories From the Deep in play (may play Instant Boosts from Gauge - then Seal them) can he keep those Boosts in play as face-down Boosts by resolving his Character Ability first?
A: No. The boosts will be Sealed even if they were turned face-down. (This is unclear on the Transformation.)

Taisei:
Q: If Taisei takes damage that would eliminate him from the game, such as 3 more than his current life, does he reset to 10 life and then take the 3 remaining damage or does he simply reset to 10 life?
A: No matter how much damage Taisei takes when he loses his first life, he can reset to 10 life when he activates his Exceed mode. In the case above, he would still end up at 10 life.

Umina
Q: If I have a copy of the opponent’s Attack in the Dreamlands face-down, can I reveal it during the Strike with Dark Thoughts’ Transform to invalidate their attack?
A: No. Dark Thoughts’ Transform only applies if your Dreamlands card is face-up when the opponent is setting their card. Similarly, it will not prevent the opponent from Boosting with a card if it is face-down in your Dreamlands.

Q: Can Wonderland or Dreamlands be used to perform an EX Attack?
A: No. You may only place one card on these and may not discard another copy of that card from your hand to perform an EX Attack.

Q: Does EX Shadow Chorus become an EXed copy of whatever attack is in Umina's Dreamlands?

Q: If Umina has Unknown Khadath's Boost in play, does she still gain any power if she Strikes using a card from her Dreamlands?
A: No. When she Strikes with a Dreamlands card it is no longer in her Dreamlands, so the Before on Unknown Khadath's Boost does not give her any Power.

Zsolt:
Q: If I activate multiple attacks via Zsolt Exceed mode, which attack's Armor applies?
A: If Zsolt executed multiple attacks, their defenses and passive effects are cumulative. So using Hunter of Men to play Assault - Focus - Block would result in (4+1) damage, (2+2) Armor, and (5+3) Guard. He would also get Block's passive spend-Force-for-Armor ability.

Q: What is the timing on Zsolt’s Exceed Mode effect?
A: After all After: effects resolve, you may spend 1 Force and reveal an attack from your hand. Do not pay any Gauge costs if it is an Ultra. Resolve the attack, including all triggers and damage, but damage is capped at 1. At the end of the Strike, the attack will be added to Gauge if it hit, or discarded if it did not. After all After: triggers resolve on this attack, you may spend 1 force and repeat this process a second time.

Q: If both of Zsolt's "Pay 1 Force" Transformations are in play, will paying 1 Force grant both of their bonuses?
A: No, they must each be paid for separately.

Alternate Modes:
Quote:
Tag:

Q: If a character has an ability that causes their attack to be considered an EX attack (Remiliss' ability, Minato's Transformation, Carl's Overload), can that be paired with an EX attack to create a Double EX attack?
A: Yes. However, you cannot upgrade twice - so Remiliss cannot Initiate Launch and also spend Force with her ability to create a Double EX, nor Carl spend two Overloads to create a Double EX.

Q: If Renea tags out, what happens to her face-down Continuous Boosts?
A: Flip them and resolve their effects before tagging out. If any of them are Cross Boosts that would require Gauge, spend the Gauge now or discard them for no effect.

Q: If a character has face-down Continuous Boosts in play and tags out, what happens to those Boosts?
A: They remain unchanged. Mark them in some way - using the old character card or a token, etc.

Q: Can the tagged-in character use the other character's Transformations?

Q: Is the lower starting health (20) also the max health for Tag mode?

Q: If Celinka is tagged in, is her discard pile immediately sealed?
A: No. When she exceeds to The Gakki, however, she will seal all cards currently in her discard regardless of whose they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had a chance to play yet, so maybe I'm missing something. While reading through the rules and the cards of the first box I opened so I can be ready to teach the game, I have a couple of questions/requests for clarification:

Galdred Exceed Options
When you Exceed with Galdred his flipped character card has an attack listed, and states that as you Exceed you may Strike, and you may Strike with that printed attack.

While it seems clear that when you Exceed you have the option of performing your free Strike with the attack on the character card; it's not clear (to me, at least!) whether this is your only opportunity to use it or whether you can choose to use it in any Strike after you Exceeded. I'd assume the latter, but I guess: does the second sentence follow from the first, or is it a separate item?

Non-Hand Strike Timing
How would the Galdred player play their Exceed-attack Strike? For that matter, how does any character play a Strike that isn't just a card or two from their hand, such as a card in Eugenia's Wonderland?

If you're the attacker, are you therefore required to inform the defender that you're performing Galdred's Exceed attack - or a card from Eugenia's Wonderland or whatever - prior to the defender choosing a card, meaning that they know exactly what you're playing and they're given the potential option to just choose a card with better speed, or enough guard, with impunity? Do you play some other card but then announce before the reveal that you're using your special ability? (If so, what would be the priority between two characters with this kind of ability?)

I presume that the attacker performing a Wild Swing draws it from the deck and places it face down before reveal, but that doesn't give your opponent quite so much information!

Rule...book?
Is there any chance of a paginated rulebook PDF being made available so we can print it and staple it at home? The giant-poster-sheet-with-rules-on is unfortunately pretty unwieldy to read and a bit tricky to fold back up again, which makes it hard to reference stuff in the middle of a game. Particularly since I play a lot in a pub these days, where there's often limited space and opening out that giant rules sheet would undoubtedly knock elbows with the next table along! A stapled booklet would be much friendlier. I'm happy to print and staple it myself, but it's not really possible to print the current rules PDF in booklet form.

Apologies if any of these are already clarified somewhere and I just missed stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galdred's "Beast Within" - He can use the Strike with any attack once he has flipped, not just his immediate attack.

For "obvious" attacks (Beast Within, Wonderland, Iaquis' face-up attacks, Umina's Dreamlands attack when on her normal side) they are announced when it is your turn to pick a card. If you're the attacker, you have to reveal what they are. Fortunately, all of those characters get a bonus for doing so (Iaquis' Power, Umina's Stun Immunity, Eugenia's Power and Speed) or have disruptive effects to help prevent the opponent from retaliating (Eugenia's discards, Galdred's various Transform effects).

For Wild Swings, same boat - they set it face-down when they would normally set their card.

Rulebook... not sure off hand. I'll check with the rulebook folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Bichatse wrote:
If you're the attacker, are you therefore required to inform the defender that you're performing Galdred's Exceed attack - or a card from Eugenia's Wonderland or whatever - prior to the defender choosing a card, meaning that they know exactly what you're playing and they're given the potential option to just choose a card with better speed, or enough guard, with impunity? Do you play some other card but then announce before the reveal that you're using your special ability? (If so, what would be the priority between two characters with this kind of ability?)

I would read Galdred's Exceed Ability as:

"When you set your attack for a Strike, you may declare that you are using the attack printed on this card without using a card from your hand."

Note that the Attacker sets their attack for a strike, then the Defender. Do not set attacks simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That reading is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another couple of questions after a first play:

Eugenia's Plot Hook (IIRC) uses the term "Pull", which doesn't seem to be mentioned in the rules (doesn't appear in a text search of the PDF, at least!). We took it to mean the same as in BattleCon: move your opponent X spaces towards you, as if you'd forced them to do a Close movement. Is that correct?

Umina's Dreamlands uses the term "seal a card" - is this just a flowery way to mean "place that card in the Dreamlands"? Does it remove the card from the game? Something else? Again, I don't find the term "seal" in the rules PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Pull" moves the opponent towards you as if they were Advancing, so you can pull them past you.

Sealed is on the front, in the "Play Area" section - "Cards that have been Sealed are removed from the game and set aside out of play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Having "push" and "pull" effects defined in the FAQ would be great.

Also, Andarel, can you please mention in the FAQ that the movement effects "Move", "Advance", and "Pull" on card text skip over the opponent's space when counting out the spaces? I believe the rulebook only specifies that you get bumped off your opponent's space when you end your movement on top of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
"Pull" moves the opponent towards you as if they were Advancing, so you can pull them past you.

(Off-topic aside, but is that the case in BattleCon as well? I could have been playing that wrong for a while...!)

The other question that came up was when exactly the game ends. Our scenario was that on the final turn one player made a Strike, the active player hit and defeated the other, but the other did have enough Guard to resist stun and would have also defeated the first player had their attack gone through.

I'm pretty sure that the first hit defeats the opponent and thus they never get to respond and the game ends mid-Strike-sequence, but the rules aren't amazingly explicit about the timing of the end of the game - whether the whole action completes as normal or whether the game finishes the absolute instant a character is reduced to 0 - so I figure I should ask for a clarification just in case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
(Off-topic aside, but is that the case in BattleCon as well? I could have been playing that wrong for a while...!)

In BattleCON, "Pull" moves the opponent the specified number of spaces toward you, then past you and beyond. (So yes, in both games Pull means you move the opponent as if they were Advancing.)

The big difference in movement effects between the two games is that in BattleCON, if you cannot resolve a movement completely, you resolve NONE of it ("as far as possible" effects like Close are the exception). In Exceed, you resolve as much of your movement as possible.

For example, if the opponent is at the edge of the board, you can play Grasp and Push them into the wall (which does nothing) instead of Pulling them past you. (In BattleCON, a similar movement would require you to Pull them, since you cannot Push them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
The other question that came up was when exactly the game ends. Our scenario was that on the final turn one player made a Strike, the active player hit and defeated the other, but the other did have enough Guard to resist stun and would have also defeated the first player had their attack gone through.

I'm pretty sure that the first hit defeats the opponent and thus they never get to respond and the game ends mid-Strike-sequence, but the rules aren't amazingly explicit about the timing of the end of the game - whether the whole action completes as normal or whether the game finishes the absolute instant a character is reduced to 0 - so I figure I should ask for a clarification just in case!

When you hit 0, you're defeated immediately. (Unless you're Taisei ready to enter Exceed Mode...) Not getting stunned is nice, but not as important as not getting killed.

(I run Quest League events, and I think it's mattered for a Bonus Objective whether somebody stayed conscious to use their counterattack. So I'm pretty confident in that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirankin's answers are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers!

Andarel wrote:

Sealed is on the front, in the "Play Area" section - "Cards that have been Sealed are removed from the game and set aside out of play."

For what it's worth: it turns out that the reason I didn't find this with a text search of the PDF is that the PDF isn't searchable and apparently doesn't register the text as text at all. I guess it's all been turned into outlines or rendered as a raster graphic element or something?

Even if it's not plausible to have a booklet-form rulebook, it would be greatly appreciated if the plain text of the rulebook could be made available so it's possible to search for things in the middle of a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luciya Question -

When you use Bug Zapper, is each Advance instance separate? Or is it cumulative? So, do you advance once 8 spaces, or advance 2 four times?

It seemed pretty strong, since with her ability, it would give her 5 gauge from one attack (4 from jumping back and forth, and 1 from the attack)

Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Separate. You have to pay all the Force up front, though.

So yes, if you use it at close range (careful, it's slowish and has no guard!) you can get a lot of Gauge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated with a number of questions from this and other threads.

I am checking with Brad on details for Umina's "facedown cards" Transformation since that one's been a rules hassle in certain corner cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
msg tools
For Pooky's "Gambling? I'm In!" card, what happens if you use it in a strike while under 15 life? The card strike text is "When you reveal this attack, place this card into your boost area as its Continuous Boost. Replace it with a Wild Swing". Its continuous boost has "Now: if you have 15 or less life, take another action." Does Pooky get another action in a middle of a strike, or before / after it? My guess is that the now effect will just be skipped, but I can't find a spot in the rules that says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible at some future point in time to get an Exceed card database a la the Codex card database (http://codexcarddb.com/)?

The greater complexity of the abilities of season 2 causes more questions and BGG's forums are super unwieldy when trying to find old threads and posts. Once Exceed gets another season or two it will be especially nice to have a page where it is easy to look up cards and be able to find answers to questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badend wrote:
For Pooky's "Gambling? I'm In!" card, what happens if you use it in a strike while under 15 life? The card strike text is "When you reveal this attack, place this card into your boost area as its Continuous Boost. Replace it with a Wild Swing". Its continuous boost has "Now: if you have 15 or less life, take another action." Does Pooky get another action in a middle of a strike, or before / after it? My guess is that the now effect will just be skipped, but I can't find a spot in the rules that says so.

The "Now:" effect is considered the "instant portion" of the Continuous Boost. Such effects are resolved only when the Boost is played (e.g., by the Boost action), rather than when the Boost is put directly into your in-play area.

My reasoning is the steps mentioned in the rules for playing a Boost:
"To play a Boost, pay its Force Cost, put the boost into your in-play area, and then resolve its effects."

Also, in general, you cannot take additional actions during a Strike, and you cannot initiate a Strike during a Strike. (I don't have any particular source for this ruling at the moment. I just remember it came up with Heidi in Season 1.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Durivage
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is D'Jenette's 'then draw a card' in addition to the usual card drawn after an action? In other words, after you place the spell circle and the Attack, do you draw one card or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyKettle wrote:
Is D'Jenette's 'then draw a card' in addition to the usual card drawn after an action? In other words, after you place the spell circle and the Attack, do you draw one card or two?

D'Janette:
A: First, place the Spell Circle on any space on the board. Then, place a Special or Ultra Attack from your hand on it. Lastly, draw a card from the ability and an additional card for end of turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Durivage
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
RustyKettle wrote:

D'Janette:

I don't know how I missed that. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leahy
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional question regarding the "spell circle":
If it's on board do I have the option of striking from it or from my hand if my opponent initiates a strike prior to my turn? If I opt NOT to strike with it on my opponents turn, does it get removed from the board, per it's card text?

My feeling is "either" and "yes" are the answers, but want to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are both correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leahy
Ireland
Cork
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small long standing but unasked question while I'm here:
Start my turn with an empty deck - i go to draw and a shuffle happens - do I draw 1 or 2 cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.