Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
There are some cool cards in there.
Improvised weapon is a cool card!

Looks like Relic of the Ages is our mystery card- doesn't do anything inherently (though 3 wilds are AMAZING). Also it says "qty: 1." Is this our first single copy player card (outside the core)?

I also like Survival Knife, Reliable, and Venturer quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, we have another secondary rogue for Charon's Obol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Looks like Relic of the Ages is our mystery card- doesn't do anything inherently (though 3 wilds are AMAZING). Also it says "qty: 1." Is this our first single copy player card (outside the core)?
That's a story asset, icon in the upper right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
SJacobsen159 wrote:
That's a story asset, icon in the upper right.

Ah, missed that. Makes more sense now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrique Mussoi
Sri Lanka
Colombo
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Also, we have another secondary rogue for Charon's Obol.

And Ursula, since it's a relic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaotl is a bit expensive (for survivor), but good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
sebastianmarkow wrote:
Coolest weakness combo

The greatest part is those series of pictures. The drawing of the grave that you will be buried in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
From a flavor perspective I love that weakness chain, but from a gameplay perspective, yuck! I'm not a big fan of something that will just randomly kill your character late in the campaign. If I got this weakness at the opening of a campaign I think I would try to get my investigator killed off as early as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Survival Knife looks great. I’ve long been wanting a good off-hand weapon to complement Machete for Guardians (Trench Knife and Blackjack are not good enough), and this is finally it. Awesome card.

Reliable is another good addition. All of these cards are just making Machete stronger instead of opening up new approaches to Guardian, though.

As for the weaknesses that just unavoidably kill you after a few scenarios... not sure I’ll play with them. What’s the fun in that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Oakman
United States
Meadville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I really like eavesdrop thematically. The fact that the enemy has to be unengaged makes it difficult to use though. It's a perfect fit for Finn and even works pretty well on Wendy.

I have a custom character whose title is "The Gossip" and it falls right into line with her deck-building as it is both a rogue card and an insight. I hope we get an upgraded version of it that doesn't require un-engagement or can be used from a connecting location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
Donkler wrote:
From a flavor perspective I love that weakness chain, but from a gameplay perspective, yuck! I'm not a big fan of something that will just randomly kill your character late in the campaign. If I got this weakness at the opening of a campaign I think I would try to get my investigator killed off as early as possible.

As a mystic you are pretty much immune to it if you include Alyssa Graham and Quantum Flux.

Non-mystic investigators who can include these:
- Pete
- Carolyn
- Daisy
- Jenny
- Lola
- Norman (basically a mystic)
- Rex
- Sefina (basically a mystic)
- Zoey

Doomed:
- Ursula
- Calvin
- William
- Wendy
- Skids
- Finn
- Leo
- Mark
- Minh
- Roland

???:
- Silas

Bear in mind that strictly by the rules you get your weakness after building your deck--so a lot of these investigators would probably have to spend XP to swap in Alyssa and Flux.

soakman wrote:
I really like eavesdrop thematically. The fact that the enemy has to be unengaged makes it difficult to use though. It's a perfect fit for Finn and even works pretty well on Wendy.

I have a custom character whose title is "The Gossip" and it falls right into line with her deck-building as it is both a rogue card and an insight. I hope we get an upgraded version of it that doesn't require un-engagement or can be used from a connecting location.

Yeah, this one struck me as amazing thematically, but maybe a little too situational to be a really strong card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Oakman
United States
Meadville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question that I probably already know the answer to, but if you play
reliable on Liquid Courage, it would not affect other investigators' token pulls would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Just a quick question that I probably already know the answer to, but if you play
reliable on Liquid Courage, it would not affect other investigators' token pulls would it?

I would agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Oakman
United States
Meadville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
soakman wrote:

I would agree.

Unfortunate. I was hoping I could run that combo with Carolyn for fun. There's not much that I see here as very good options for her. Maybe Trusted, but I think I'd rather just fill that spot with another ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Unfortunate. I was hoping I could run that combo with Carolyn for fun. There's not much that I see here as very good options for her. Maybe Trusted, but I think I'd rather just fill that spot with another ally.

Yeah, this pack just continues the trend of the vast majority of level 0 Guardian cards being pretty useless for her. She's really a Guardian in name only. Fortunately, her deckbuilding rules are generous, so this isn't an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Oakman
United States
Meadville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaiusDrewart wrote:
soakman wrote:

Yeah, this pack just continues the trend of the vast majority of level 0 Guardian cards being pretty useless for her. She's really a Guardian in name only. Fortunately, her deckbuilding rules are generous, so this isn't an issue.

Even the seeker cards here are relatively useless though. At least until we figure out what
Ancient Stone evolves into and whether or not she can take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kentorp
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what non-seeker, non-netural relics do you run in Ursula?

Right now I’m only really looking at The Chthonian Stone at level 0 and Charon’s Obol after that. Maybe Lucky dice or Grotesque Statue, but I’m not convinced. The Gold Pocket-Watch is good but horribly overprized (except, maybe, with three or four players).

I don’t want to be running relics simply because it’s something she can do, and I’m not seeing any great synergies out there. Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Croaker13 wrote:
So, what non-seeker, non-netural relics do you run in Ursula?

Right now I’m only really looking at The Chthonian Stone at level 0 and Charon’s Obol after that. Maybe Lucky dice or Grotesque Statue, but I’m not convinced. The Gold Pocket-Watch is good but horribly overprized (except, maybe, with three or four players).

I don’t want to be running relics simply because it’s something she can do, and I’m not seeing any great synergies out there. Anyone?

Not much actually, but I am sure we are going to see many more Relics in this cycle.

As a side note, it looks for me that Leo, Ursula and Finn are more about efficiency through stats and extra actions rather than wide deckbuilding options.

Calvin is very interesting, but probably the most difficult to play. I can't wait to try him.

Father Mateo - This is a very sore point for me, Mystics are my favourite class, Mateo was my favourite investigator in MoM2 and now this... Why?
Mediocre stats, extremely limited deckbuilding and very situational, extremely luck dependant special ability. On top of that both his signature and weakness hurts entire team. So, does he want to be solo player? If yes, then how is he going to survive? Well, I still hope that we will get some great Blessed off-class items later in the cycle.

Almost all player cards look great. I really like how they are exploring Relics theme for Seekers and Mystics as true support class. Guardians and Survivors got some really solid options, especially using discard pile as resource sounds really cool. Of course, traditionally, Rogues got the least, the only flashy thing is "You handle this one!" The rest feels very situational and/or inefficient.

Overal, my first impression is very, very positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:

If I read these cards correctly, the chain would go like this:

1. scenario: you draw Doomed card, grab 1 horror, jot down "Doom approaches"
2. scenario: you draw Doomed card again, grab 1 horror, put Accursed Fate on bottom
3. scenario: you draw Accursed Fate, grab 2 horror, jot down "hour is nigh"
4. scenario: you draw Accursed Fate, grab 2 horror, put Bell tolls on bottom
5. scenario: you die

Now while the final effect is nasty, the immediate effects of the Weakness are pretty mild. I agree it would suck to have the character randomly die, but I also very much like the idea of playing the game having this doom over your head constantly, it's incredibly thematic. Every draw is full of dread, and you never knew whether you'll get to live to see the story end, having additional reasons to celebrate the end of the scenario simply because it's done and the weakness was not revealed. This also actually creates a nice gameplay dynamic where you can try to beat the odds by either finding ways to peek into the player deck or draw as little as possible in earlier scenarios, perhaps even making you practically immune to it later on.

I don't know. I kinda dig it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Father Mateo - This is a very sore point for me, Mystics are my favourite class, Mateo was my favourite investigator in MoM2 and now this... Why?
Mediocre stats, extremely limited deckbuilding and very situational, extremely luck dependant special ability. On top of that both his signature and weakness hurts entire team. So, does he want to be solo player? If yes, then how is he going to survive? Well, I still hope that we will get some great Blessed off-class items later in the cycle.

Do you think that the mediocre stats/abilities are curbed at all by the fact
That he starts with 5XP?

I’m pretty excited about Calvin too. It’s fun getting those tricky/tough investigators to work. He seems right up my alley. I like the Spirit card theme as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like that there have been more paths to perma-death introduced. Granted, I haven't played above Standard yet, but narratively, perma-death as a threat appeals to me, and it just never comes close to happening in my games without these effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

2. scenario: you draw Doomed card again, grab 1 horror, put Accursed Fate on bottom

Now while the final effect is nasty, the immediate effects of the Weakness are pretty mild. I agree it would suck to have the character randomly die, but I also very much like the idea of playing the game having this doom over your head constantly, it's incredibly thematic. Every draw is full of dread, and you never knew whether you'll get to live to see the story end, having additional reasons to celebrate the end of the scenario simply because it's done and the weakness was not revealed. This also actually creates a nice gameplay dynamic where you can try to beat the odds by either finding ways to peek into the player deck or draw as little as possible in earlier scenarios, perhaps even making you practically immune to it later on.

I'd argue that the immediate effect (1 or 2 horror) is also awful. Pretty much all of the other basic weaknesses that could deal horror or damage give you some kind of an opportunity to avoid it if you really need to. For example when you draw a Chronophobia it gives you a choice: Do you spend actions or take horror? There is no way to work around this card other than spending a lot of effort not to draw it.

I think the main reason I don't like that this card is that it seems to dictate a specific play style way more than any other basic weakness. I think a weakness like this would be better suited to a specific investigator, maybe with an even shorter fuse. I would be all for it if I knew going in my investigator was more doomed to death than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Donkler wrote:

I love it thematically and I'm quite happy with the way so far that they've chose to implement these kill your investigator effects. Either you have some agency to avoid the effect or in this case it's a very telegraphed thing that you anticipate and can mentally prepare for throughout the campaign. I kinda like when my investigator dies and a new investigator has to pick up their torch. Feels more like a horror game when that happens IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Reid666 wrote:

Do you think that the mediocre stats/abilities are curbed at all by the fact
That he starts with 5XP?

I’m pretty excited about Calvin too. It’s fun getting those tricky/tough investigators to work. He seems right up my alley. I like the Spirit card theme as well.

Well, yes and no. 5XP is definatelly good thing to have, especially for solo. You could get something like Song of the Dead and have second combat option (but Jim can take Fire Axe/Machete to similar effect without spending XP). In multi it is less relevant as XP is easier to gain. But still, he has most limited deckbuilding from all available Mystics. Looking at his stats, he screams support (and secondary cluever), but he cannot adapt to this role as well as Jim. Also Jim's signature and weakness are much better for multi. I really, really hope that he gets some great Blessed stuff, but I am afraid it might be in the last pack of this cycle.

Spirit stuff for Calvin looks especially exciting for multi as he could work as lighting rod for the rest of the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Donkler wrote:

You can die in scenario 2 if you run out of cards in your deck multiple times.
You would die in scenario 3 if you run out of cards in each scenario once.

You would need to run out of cards four times. I have yet to see cards running out once, especially if your mandated playstyle is to draw as few cards as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |