Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the first PBF game of Decrypto! I'm your moderator; you can call me Thad. We'll be playing by the rules according to the rulebook.

Here's how the turn structure will translate to PBF:

1a. Moderator uses RNG to determine Red Team's Code card and GMs it to Red Team's Encryptor.*
1b. Moderator uses RNG to determine Blue Team's Code card and GMs it to Blue Team's Encryptor.*
2. Each team's Encryptor GMs Moderator their three clues.
3. Red Team's Encryptor posts their clues publicly.
4a. In this thread, Blue Team freely discusses Red Team's clues. After discussion, someone from Blue Team GMs Moderator their Code guess.**
4b. In this thread, Red Team freely discusses Red Team's clues. After discussion, someone from Red Team GMs Moderator their Code guess.
5. Blue Team publicly posts their Code guess.**
6. Red Team publicly posts their Code guess.
7. Red Team's Encryptor (or Moderator) reveals the Code. If Blue Team successfully intercepted Red Team's Code, they will receive an Interception Token (sugar). If they did not successfully intercept, nothing happens.** If Red Team successfully decoded their Encryptor's Clue, nothing happens. If they are wrong, they receive a Miscommunication Token (coffee).

Rules then repeat from Step 3 with "Red Team" and "Blue Team" switching places. These two cycles are referred to as a "round" and there are eight rounds in a game.

*Encryptors rotate among teams each round. Moderator will assign Encryptor roles when GMing the Code card.

**In the first round, the opposing team does not guess as they do not have enough information to make an informed decision.

The game ends when one team collects either two Interception Tokens (win) or two Miscommunication Tokens (loss).

RED TEAM Bunker
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Come together, together as one
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
mbmb
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. Just don't lock clear her for tone. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably just be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason
United States
Freedonia
flag msg tools
badge
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
mbmbmbmbmb

BLUE TEAM Bunker
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clark Cypher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Shhhh...
badge
I know. I know.
mbmbmbmbmb

The first Red Team Encryptor will be Alan and the first Blue Team Encryptor will be Tom. The role will then shift down the list as posted and wrap back around at Round 5.

For the purposes of this PBF, all clues must be plain text and follow the rules as written in the rulebook. We may experiment with multimedia clues later if there is interest, but this game will be plain text only. (Though, please bold your clues to differentiate them from other posts.)

* Clues do not have to be one word.
* Clues must relate to the meaning of the Keyword.
* You may not use any of your Keywords as Clues.
* You may not re-use a previously used Clue in the same game.

Importantly, all communication should take place in this thread. There should be no GMs between players. The only GM involved in this PBF is Moderator/Player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
PMs have been sent; please let me know if you didn't get one. The next step is for both Alan and Tom to PM me their clues for this round. I know no one else has played before, so please don't hesitate to post a question publicly or via GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Cypher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question - in the rules (at least the ones I can find), it says that for the first round, neither team attempts to intercept the other team's code, because they have nothing on which to base their guesses. Are we going to play that way? I think it's a good idea - it will make the first round go faster.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Math Note:

Because there are only 24 possible number combinations, even a stab in the dark (guessing something like 1-2-3 just for fun) has a 4.17% chance of succeeding. That's actually fairly high, all things considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Shhhh...
badge
I know. I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect this to go horribly delightful! laugh

//

I'm going to be staring jealously at Downey's golden beard badge all game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:
I expect this to go horribly delightful! laugh

//

I'm going to be staring jealously at Downey's golden beard badge all game.

That's why it's there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lemay
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ClarkCypher wrote:
Question - in the rules (at least the ones I can find), it says that for the first round, neither team attempts to intercept the other team's code, because they have nothing on which to base their guesses. Are we going to play that way? I think it's a good idea - it will make the first round go faster.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Math Note:

Because there are only 24 possible number combinations, even a stab in the dark (guessing something like 1-2-3 just for fun) has a 4.17% chance of succeeding. That's actually fairly high, all things considered.

Publisher's note
At first, to simplify the rules, we thought we could keep the "blind" interception guess at the first round. Like you said, only 1 chance out of 24 to get it.

But on our first playtest after this decision, 1 team correctly guessed the code on the first round. It was not fun at all!!!

(I don't want to interfere in your game, but I am sure I'll be delighted to "watch" it!!)

Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Cypher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comet wrote:
Publisher's note
At first, to simplify the rules, we thought we could keep the "blind" interception guess at the first round. Like you said, only 1 chance out of 24 to get it.

But on our first playtest after this decision, 1 team correctly guessed the code on the first round. It was not fun at all!!!

(I don't want to interfere in your game, but I am sure I'll be delighted to "watch" it!!)

Christian

Thanks for providing this background information! It's always interesting to hear how rules decisions are made - at least for me

I hope we can do this game justice in this first playthrough by PBF...especially now that I know people are watching ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to have you with us, Christian! Please feel free to chime in if we're getting anything wrong.

Clark, thanks for bringing up the first-round caveat. It's a rule we missed in our first few real-life games as well. I think no one has fun if 50% of the win condition is gained through a blind guess, so we'll be following the rules as written. I'll edit the main post. Good catch!

On a side note, I played a few games with a different gaming group tonight and it was a hit. I also played my first game where we had to use all eight rounds and settle the game with a tiebreaker. It was a ton of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lemay
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thadcar wrote:
Glad to have you with us, Christian! Please feel free to chime in if we're getting anything wrong.

On a side note, I played a few games with a different gaming group tonight and it was a hit. I also played my first game where we had to use all eight rounds and settle the game with a tiebreaker. It was a ton of fun!

1- I really don't want to interfere too much, but I'll tell you if you miss something

2- I played very few games reaching the 8th round (despite the fact I saw much more when assisting to playtest). I love to see how the tension is rising!

Thanks for the good words and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, everyone! I've now read the rules and watched the instructional video, and I think I understand the gameplay. The rules are rather poorly written, in my opinion, in large part because I didn't get for a while that the same 4 secret words carry through the entire game.

One thing I don't quite get: Maybe I'm missing something, but how are we supposed to decide on a guess if all discussions are public? Should there be separate discussion threads for each team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Cypher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
One thing I don't quite get: Maybe I'm missing something, but how are we supposed to decide on a guess if all discussions are public? Should there be separate discussion threads for each team?

In practice, what I think is going to happen with this PBF is that the team attempting to intercept will have a lively discussion, because they probably do not have much idea of what the other team's secret words are, at least in the beginning, and they have pretty much nothing to lose by thinking of every possibility.

By contrast, the team tasked with decoding their encryptor's clue (that is, the team trying to avoid a miscommunication token) will be almost silent, because (A) their encryptor's clue should hopefully be pretty obvious to them since they can see the 4 secret words, and (B) they shouldn't want to give up any information unnecessarily to the other team. Since the other (intercepting) team has to guess first, the decoding team may as well not give them anything before the interception attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ClarkCypher wrote:
In practice, what I think is going to happen with this PBF is that the team attempting to intercept will have a lively discussion, because they probably do not have much idea of what the other team's secret words are, at least in the beginning, and they have pretty much nothing to lose by thinking of every possibility.

By contrast, the team tasked with decoding their encryptor's clue (that is, the team trying to avoid a miscommunication token) will be almost silent, because (A) their encryptor's clue should hopefully be pretty obvious to them since they can see the 4 secret words, and (B) they shouldn't want to give up any information unnecessarily to the other team. Since the other (intercepting) team has to guess first, the decoding team may as well not give them anything before the interception attempt.

Except we have to both make our guesses before they are revealed, so any conversation by the decrypting team will have to happen in public.

PBF is going to be weird, because I feel like F2F you could point or whisper or write a suggested number down and then someone else shake their heads and scratch it out and suggest other options and, and, and....

So yeah, I'm not quite sure how this is going to go if we don't use bunkers. But I also haven't played F2F, so I'm not quite sure how it goes there, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, every round the team has to make two guesses. A guess for their *own* code, as well as a guess for the enemies code. I think this game benefits from teams being able to discuss those guesses, and it would definitely be detrimental for one team to hear the discussions of the other, particularly when they are discussing their own code!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ok I am here now, and looks like I am in charge of coming up with clues. Let's see what I can come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhitmojo wrote:
Remember, every round the team has to make two guesses. A guess for their *own* code, as well as a guess for the enemies code. I think this game benefits from teams being able to discuss those guesses, and it would definitely be detrimental for one team to hear the discussions of the other, particularly when they are discussing their own code!

Nothing in the rules states that communication among a team has to be public except for the three words given to the team from the Encrypter.

I don't know how we are going to discuss stuff in public without giving things away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
downeymb wrote:
rhitmojo wrote:

Nothing in the rules states that communication among a team has to be public except for the three words given to the team from the Encrypter.

I don't know how we are going to discuss stuff in public without giving things away.

well when I'm not the encryptor, you can just come over to discuss. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:

Great, we'll be awesome on half of our rounds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
rhitmojo wrote:

My thoughts exactly; seems like the rules are unclear and PBF presents other issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
downeymb wrote:
rhitmojo wrote:

My thoughts exactly; seems like the rules are unclear and PBF presents other issues.

I think we should be able to have a bunker to discuss things. The rules only discuss when having two people on each team. If there are more, how would we follow the examples in the rules and discuss what "Odonata" means?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. Just don't lock clear her for tone. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably just be murdalated.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhitmojo wrote:

Unrelated side note: You might be the first other RHIT alum I've seen on here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
downeymb wrote:
rhitmojo wrote:

LOL. We can Skype Zen in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think private discussion areas might be best? Do we want to use Cassy? I can set things up pretty quickly and assign a 3rd party mod to hand out codes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
Do we want to use Cassy?

Is this some sort of program? I'd rather keep things at the geek, and would like lurkers to be able to follow along on the conversation, or anyone afterwards. Two geeklists with entries for each round and comments on them should be easy enough, with the decrypter not allowed to talk on that specific round's entry, and the other team not allowed to look at the geeklist at all until the game has concluded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay; things are far busier today than I'd expected.

When we play in real life, there is no private communication at all. It's the natural instinct of everyone playing to point and whisper, but we've shifted to completely open communication and will clarify what we're doing if someone catches us pointing and whispering. The game still works.

That being said, I do now see the distinction in the rulebook that only the information that flows from the Encryptor to the other players needs to be public, so it is somewhat unclear and perhaps I've been enforcing the rule too harshly in my IRL games.

Private bunkers could work. If we want to preserve the "all communication is public" feel, though, we could have the opposing team discuss first, then submit a guess to a moderator. Then, the playing team would have a chance to discuss (Which, as Clark says, would not require much actually discussion. Just a team member saying, "Uh, 413?" and everyone either thumbing the post or disagreeing with "No, I think it's 412." There would probably not need to be substantial discussion, and if there is, it'd be interesting to see how the team could openly discuss coded information.)

In total though, maybe private bunkers are the best idea. I just don't want to lose the spirit of public communication that I think makes this game very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
did we rule yet on researching clues? probably should figure that out before I send you mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.