• [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Summoner Wars is kind of similar, though on a bigger scale. Other than that Anachronism is basically a tactical miniatures skirmish game with cards instead. You could look into other tactical minis games. Most won't have the variety of Anachronism, which is part of what makes it so unique, but many should do a good job of scratching the same itch, I'd think. I have several (most of which are out of print), but no one to play them with, just like Anachronism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage wars has some things in common. It's a dueling/free-for-all game where you build a deck and run around a small square grid fighting each other. It also has in common that you don't shuffle your deck - it has plenty of randomness from combat rolls but not from that. You primarily control one champion unit in both too, although mage wars has a mechanic to summon new units and anachronism does not.

It doesn't have the cool unique theme, or more importantly the fifteen minute play time. It's about a wizard duel (and does that theme well.) It takes like an hour or two per game.

There's plenty of games with historical themes but I don't know of any other mash-up history themes, at least, none with anywhere near the detail.

Nothing is really entirely like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
Mage wars has some things in common. It's a dueling/free-for-all game where you build a deck and run around a small square grid fighting each other. It also has in common that you don't shuffle your deck - it has plenty of randomness from combat rolls but not from that. You primarily control one champion unit in both too, although mage wars has a mechanic to summon new units and anachronism does not.

It doesn't have the cool unique theme, or more importantly the fifteen minute play time. It's about a wizard duel (and does that theme well.) It takes like an hour or two per game.

There's plenty of games with historical themes but I don't know of any other mash-up history themes, at least, none with anywhere near the detail.

Nothing is really entirely like it.

Actually, come to think of it, Duel of Ages might be a close thematic fit and somewhat similar in mechanisms. I have a used copy of first edition Set 1 that I got for $5, but I haven't played it. Seems close though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenNeto wrote:
Is there any any game like Anachronism?

A game just came out called Ivion that sense VERY close to Anachronism at first glance. Because I own several tactical miniatures games that I never get to play, I've decided to pass on it, but it actually looks really compelling, and it's a stand-alone game with an MSRP of about $60, which isn't bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivion looks more like Mage Wars to me, not that looking like Mage Wars is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls