Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently found a copy of this, (not the new revised version but 2nd edition rules), in a thrift store, and snapped it up. I've read the rules, and am wondering if it's worth the time to play? I've read so much on here about how one side is too strong, how broken many parts of the game are, how degenerate strategies work the best, how long it is, etc., I'm a bit leery to even put in the effort.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re:Old version - Worth the time?
Windopaene (#33729),
Well, what do YOU expect to get out of it? Do you wish to introduce some friends to this kind of game? If you have never played this before, then it should be a new kind of experience for you, but don't expect too much of a historical perspective from it. Look on it as 'Monopoly at WAR!' and keep the Victory conditions in mind, especially for the Axis players. Try it with another person to get the game mechanics down pat, and then try it with the full 5 players. Read up on, or disregard, what you've heard about the game and find out what all the fuss is about. One good reminder, when instructing others about the game, the Set-up cards also have lots of pertinent information that players can read over to get the general idea of playing.

I've even posted a '1941 Variant' for this game, originally authored by Armando Simon in Battleplan #8 magazine and 'embellished' by my cronies and myself, through our own gaming experiences. You may even want to join the folks over at the Avalon Hill 'boards' for some lively discussion of this and the other games, including the next one covering 'D-Day'. Then you'd also get to look over and judge for yourself about how well we'd done with our own "BANZAI!" Axis & Allies 'rules' that we devised for 'our' games. Just look 'me' up on there, and check out my own 'posts'. Have fun in the meantime. ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can spend a lot of time laying this game before you figure out the optimal strategies and its "brokeness" becomes evident. Even when that happens, you can make a simple change to make the game better: make infantry defend at 1 instead of 2. See Don's A&A pages for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Summers
United States
Shrewsbury
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene (#33729),
that you found it at a thrift store qualifies the purchase EASILY. Read my review. The other comments to your post echo well. Your easily gonna get a lot of fun out of this game "as is".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Windopaene (#33729),

Knowing what I do know of the Axis & Allies Revised verision, I would not bother with this game.

However, if I didn't know about the Revised verision, or its advantages, I would be happy playing this game. At least the first 4 or 5 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene (#33729),

No, just skip to the 2004 revised version. I have been playing A&A since 1984 and love the system, but the refinements in the board/map and the rules have almost made the 1984 version obsolete. With that being said I intend to hang onto my 1984 copy and have it hit the table once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You Gay
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You all fail, the original version will pwn your souls. There's only a couple good improvements (i.e. battleships with 2 hits) but most of them can be easily left out or done ala original with optional rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
BeadPerson wrote:
You all fail, the original version will pwn your souls. There's only a couple good improvements (i.e. battleships with 2 hits) but most of them can be easily left out or done ala original with optional rules.

I just recently played this as the AXIS last weekend, and had to 'concede', while neither of their 'Capital's was 'occupied'! surprise
Before this we'd played the TSR ''Red Storm Rising'' game with me as the NATO player, and WON.
The next day we played a game of 'A&A'-Pacific, AND the 'A&A'-Europe TWICE! I was the AXIS in them all and WON. For 'Europe', then I got to Moscow, and in the 2nd game then I INVADED 'England' twice in a row and WON out!
w00t for me!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
'Nads, I hate you. Not for all the usual reasons, but because you have more fun than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.