Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Why do we keep running out of vampire tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played a few times now as a 2 player, and we often find we've run out of vampire tokens (they're all on the board) and we can't add more to fulfill Event cards.

Are there not enough tokens? I'm curious if anyone else has this happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've only ever run out of vampires once (out of 4 or 5 sessions). Perhaps you have not been allocating any actions to cleaning up vamps? In my (limited) experience, it's often more difficult to save townies than it is to simply keep their area clear of vamps, which requires expending a decent percentage of one's actions to do so. Don't be afraid to discard stakes to kill extra vamps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
i've only ever run out of vampires once (out of 4 or 5 sessions). Perhaps you have not been allocating any actions to cleaning up vamps? In my (limited) experience, it's often more difficult to save townies than it is to simply keep their area clear of vamps, which requires expending a decent percentage of one's actions to do so. Don't be afraid to discard stakes to kill extra vamps.

We just finished a game, and we did notice we were just leaving vamps, in the main, dodging out of there and dashing around to resolve the cards. We did win, but we lost a lot of townies and got a few wounds, and ended on 12 on the Apocalypse Track! We hardly used cards for their discard effects and didn't draw any Artifacts at all. To be fair, we haven't played this game in nearly 6 months, so we were quite rusty. But we do recall running out of vampires at least once or twice before this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Whitley
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have run out a couple of times, but we usually need to clean up vamps and demons to keep the townies safe.

It is possible that this scales differently for 2 player (less townies on the board maybe).

There are some event cards that can activate vamps so we usually have plans on how to deal with them before they become too much of a problem. One time we manipulated the board to get lots of baddies in place for the Mayor Big Bad who killed them all for us when he revealed ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solanum wrote:
We hardly used cards for their discard effects and didn't draw any Artifacts at all.

My first couple of sessions i had a big hang-up against discard effects and hoarded my weapons, but the discard effects are there for a reason and stakes are plentiful. Don't underestimate Giles's ability to hold an extra item - he arguably makes the best weapon collector/distributor. Artifacts are often, but not always, very much worth it. There are a few game-changing ones in there.

That said: i've only ever played with 4 characters at a time, which almost certainly plays much differently than 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 2 characters each before, maybe we'll do that tonight. I've set up the board to play The First Evil. We've never done that Big Bad before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.