Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it and think it's worth getting. It fits the niche among his worker placement/resource conversion games of a simpler economy and shorter play time than some while still being very very tight. That's a game that is going to hit the table at my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a different camp than you because I have only three of his games: At the Gates of Loyang, Glass Road, and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. I don't have time to play long games, and a solo option is important because my wife (who is my usual gaming partner, but not always) will not play competitive games. So Nusfjord seems like a logical choice to me because it plays more quickly than many of his games and, according to the reviews I've watched, still has meaningful decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
I don't want to miss out on adding a really special game to my collection---if it's really that special.

It's not.

But that's just my opinion, of course. You can see ratings of all BGG users, of course, and you can also see that it's Uwe's 17th highest ranked game, for whatever that's worth. Of course it's also newer, so it may end up squeaking past Mercator and LH: Inland Port, but I don't see it going much higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
curtc wrote:
robininni wrote:
I don't want to miss out on adding a really special game to my collection---if it's really that special.

It's not.

But that's just my opinion, of course. You can see ratings of all BGG users, of course, and you can also see that it's Uwe's 17th highest ranked game, for whatever that's worth. Of course it's also newer, so it may end up squeaking past Mercator and LH: Inland Port, but I don't see it going much higher.

Wha? It doesn't even have a thousand ratings yet -- it won't be a fair fight in the rankings for some time.

It's his eighth highest if you consider average rating instead. Sure, that will likely drop a bit with time, but "squeaking past Merkator"? Nah. Check back in a year and it'll be in the top 500. Rankings are a silly game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Sweep the Leg!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered it from Cool Stuff and will let you know when I have it in hand and have tried the solo mode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno about solo but it similar to Glass Road in length and structure, but replaces the simultaneous role selection with worker placement. I'm more partial to worker placement so that's a huge plus for me. It also throws in a few bells a whistles like stocks that are new for a Rosenberg. Best of luck making your decision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Check back in a year and it'll be in the top 500.

I doubt it. It's not even gaining ratings fast enough. Merkator was also once the Uwe hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
tumorous wrote:

I doubt it. It's not even gaining ratings fast enough. Merkator was also once the Uwe hotness.

You do realize it just arrived in North America within the last week, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
tumorous wrote:

It has been incredibly hard to get until just now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played it a bunch of times now and for what it’s worth Rosenberg is my favorite designer, I have and have played all of his major games and I’d rank this near the bottom. That’s not to say it’s bad or I don’t like it, it’s not and I do, but it doesn’t compare to his other stuff and was somewhat underwhelming and disappointing considering I’ve been looking forward to it for a few years now.

It’s definitely one of his lightest big boy games, maybe just ahead of glass road, the art and components are underwhelming especially considering the price point and it doesn’t do a lot different than his other games.

That said it does seem to work at different player counts, it’s relatively quick and has a few interesting wrinkles to it. Bottom line for me is if you’re a Rosenberg fan you’ll like it but it’s no Agricola, Le Havre etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
You do realize it just arrived in North America within the last week, right?
Edward J Grug III wrote:
It has been incredibly hard to get until just now.

I didn't realize it was so new. I played it last year. One play was enough to remove it from my buy list. But whatever. Maybe it will rise higher than I expect. Knock yourselves out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Nusfjord, because it does what it does in such a compact package. I have no qualms playing this with five players, where I wouldn't really want to play Agricola with five. It's just too long. This – no problems, and if it's just two players, well then Nusfjord plays in 30 minutes or so, which is so pleasantly efficient.

Nusfjord fits in a similar niche as Glass Road: a meaty game that's much shorter in play time than the bigger Uwe behemoths. Sure, I'd rather play Feast for Odin, Ora et Labora and Fields of Arle and will rank them higher than Nusfjord, but if I have 40 minutes, I can play a two-player game of Nusfjord, but not one of the big three.

If that's something you find attractive, then yes, Nusfjord is worth giving a go. If the shorter playing time isn't valuable for you, or you strongly prefer longer games, then feel free to pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents:
I love Uwe. I own most of his games and have played all big boxes more than once. I bought Nusfjord not expecting too much, but was wowed. It is currently my fav Uwe:
Quick to play
Offers 3 games in 1 box (with the 3 different decks)
Great for solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~ I've got a ton of Uwe games, how special is Nusfjord?
I've sold all of my Uwe games but for Agricola and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (and expansions); Fields of Arle and Le Havre. My copy of Nusfjord is on the way, and even though I've never played it I know it's a keeper. Why? Because I'm Norwegian (though I said the same about A Feast for Odin and it's gone from my collection now!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, no board game is a "need" but I have a copy of Nusfjord. It's one of my top 5 Uwe games, along with Glass Road, Caverna, Feast for Odin, and Fields of Arle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Melo
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a die-hard Uwe Rosenberg fan. Like many others, I put this just just above Glass Road (even though Glass Road feels like a meatier puzzle). This is a substantial game in a tight little package. A solo game takes less time to play than it does to set up! Two players who know how to play could burn through a game in under 30 minutes if they're not prone to AP.

Honestly, there's room for a game like that in most collections. I'm full to the brim with gigantic games from Uwe and others. Nusfjord is never going to be my favorite Uwe Rosenberg game, but it WILL get to the table a whole lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raika11182 wrote:
A solo game takes less time to play than it does to set up!

That's a good thing?

BTW, I don't play solo. So factor that into my comments above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
raika11182 wrote:

That's a good thing?

BTW, I don't play solo. So factor that into my comments above.

You played the game once and hated it. We get it. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
You played the game once and hated it.

I didn't hate it. Just didn't think it was "really that special".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sardines anyone?
curtc wrote:
raika11182 wrote:
That's a good thing?
No, taking 15-20 minutes to set this game up is a bad thing. I'm assuming some sort of OCD. shake

NB. You can play a solo campaign of Nusfjord (3 games including AP) in the time it takes during A Feast for Odin to start asking yourself: "Why am I still doing this?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Knox
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm also a huge Uwe fan, and am really enjoying this one. I wouldn't put it at the top of my list of Uwe games*, but case in point: I had Feast for Odin all set up when my girlfriend got home last night and we both thought "what if we just played Nusfjord instead?" It scratches the itch of a Caverna-like experience in a third of the time. Great fun.

*which would be Caverna, Gates of Loyang, Ora and Labora, Le Havre and Arle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
You can play a solo campaign of Nusfjord (3 games including AP) in the time it takes during A Feast for Odin to start asking yourself: "Why am I still doing this?"

… EXACTLY why I didn't fall in love with A Feast for Odin shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Shayko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusfjord is not like Feast for Odin. In Nusfjord you have 21 workers, 21 actions over 7 rounds. In Feast you have 57 workers and in theory 16-57 actions (plus a rare card that could alter that in some way) over 6 rounds.

In Nusfjord the way you place buildings rarely matters. In FfO a critical component of the game is how you place goods onto your boards.

FfO takes longer to set up because it is a more grand game in every sense of the word. If you are in for the 2hr+ journey, the setup time probably won't bother you. Nusfjord is quicker to set up, because it is a much more narrow of a game.

Both games are great at what they do, both are different, and both are classic Uwe designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO it's in Uwe's top three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Knox
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
IMO it's in Uwe's top three.

Really? That's cool. What are your two other favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.