Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Which slogan sounds better?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
card assassins
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey BGGs,

We've been working for a while on this game and are struggling to decide on our slogan. Please help us decide! Below is the game overview if you'd like to read it first.
OG
Game Overview:
Your goal is to assassinate assigned players by getting them to say their "kill word" during a normal conversation. If you succeed, you acquire their target and kill word and move on until there is one victorious assassin left standing. It is played behind the scenes throughout the day.

SLOGAN OPTIONS:

A. A behind the scenes group game of backstabbing and elimination.
B. An elimination game without safe words.
C. An interactive group game for competitive schmucks.
D. Kill your friends!

Here is a link to our website where you can find the FREE PRINT AND PLAY!We are always looking for more feedback.
www.cardassassins.com

Cheers,
Matty & Carter
www.cardassassins.com
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your current choice works best.

I don't understand how the conversation part happens. Is this a meta game you play while playing other games? Do you play with a small group of people? I was thinking about how this might work at my game group, and it seems like it would be pretty obvious if the friend sidled up to me and started talking about salads or something.

Maybe played over days or weeks like "assassin" but then how would you know who your target is?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The art reminds me of that “give the guy a beard using iron filings via a magnetic pen” thing. I like that for an assassins game since presumably we’re all in disguise so it communicates the idea that appearances are somewhat deceptive.

I hate all four slogan suggestions. You want something with the feeling of D but that has more information and less shock value. Something like “no word is safe!” or “trust no words!” or something like that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
jwarrend wrote:
The art reminds me of that “give the guy a beard using iron filings via a magnetic pen” thing. I like that for an assassins game since presumably we’re all in disguise so it communicates the idea that appearances are somewhat deceptive.

I hate all four slogan suggestions. You want something with the feeling of D but that has more information and less shock value. Something like “no word is safe!” or “trust no words!” or something like that.


To be honest, I also dislike the four slogans. I guess A or B describe the game the best. But I feel like elimination is not a real selling point, nor the most important feature. C en D don't say much about the game if you ask me.

I do like the suggestions above.

I was thinking in another direction, something like:
A (group/meta/background/side/behind the scenses) game about forbidden words and secret targets.
Or:
Don't let them put words in your mouth!

Anyway, good luck with your game! It could be fun when you spend many hours with a group of people.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesing concept...

I like the one you already got: An elimination game without safe words

But if you want some alternatives... I would play around with what you've got...

For example instead of "Card Assassin: Kill Words"

I would go ahead and say...


"Card Assassins: Words Kill..."

or playing around with some proverbs...

"Card Assassins: In this game, words hurt... A LOT"

"Card Assassins: Where the righteous choose their WORDS carefully"


Just my 2 cents...

Cheers and good luck!



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Haley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
Momma always said sticks and stones, and she was right because in this game words don't hurt...they kill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about: If words could kill.

Also, how about changing the name of the game to “Word Assassins”?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
card assassins
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey Brendan,

Thanks for the feedback. The conversations happen throughout normal conversation, so yes its a meta game. It plays really well behind the scenes of another game, or over a weekend trip or in an office environment. Each player is secretly assigned a target with the assassin cards so no one knows who is after them. So yes you have to be pretty sly when trying to assassinate someone as to not give anything away. To assign the targets the back of the assassin cards give you a target depending on the amount of players in that game. Depending on the amount of players it can definitely bleed into multiple days so it works best in environments with close friends, coworkers, or roommates.

Thanks,
Matty
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
card assassins
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey Blue Chicken,

Thanks for your comments. I think you're right that elimination is not the best thing to focus on. We'll start thinking about some more options focusing on the "behind the scenes" area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BagOTricks
msg tools
mbmbmb
Some kind of play on "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"?

...They said words would never hurt
...Sticks and stones aren't the problem anymore
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Hagans
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
A Cautionary Tale of Words: Words will fucking kill you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cardassassins wrote:
Hey Brendan,

Thanks for the feedback. The conversations happen throughout normal conversation, so yes its a meta game. It plays really well behind the scenes of another game, or over a weekend trip or in an office environment. Each player is secretly assigned a target with the assassin cards so no one knows who is after them. So yes you have to be pretty sly when trying to assassinate someone as to not give anything away. To assign the targets the back of the assassin cards give you a target depending on the amount of players in that game. Depending on the amount of players it can definitely bleed into multiple days so it works best in environments with close friends, coworkers, or roommates.

Thanks,
Matty


Gotcha, but unless people are carrying their cards around constantly, it seems improbable to easily identify your new target when you get the new card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
card assassins
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey Brenden,

So you only really need to remember the your target and one word at any given time. When you are assigned targets in the beginning of the game the the assassin card assigns you an assassin name ex (Helga), you then look around the room to see the backs of the cards which show the assassin faces and names. Say I look around and see you (Brenden) holding the card that says Helga on the back you are my target. Then I have to get you to say the assigned killword ex. (stone) I then might casually talk to you about rolling stones, or the stoneage or being stoned. If someone assassinates me before I get you to say stone, I tell them that their new target is Brendan with the word stone. It keeps going until there is one winning assassin.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you didn't ask for game name suggestions, but I just thought of another one: “Conversation Killers”.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
card assassins
United States
California
flag msg tools
They are great ideas though! We actually have came thought about conversation killers but we decided to keep assassins in the name because when you eliminate someone you yell ASSASSINATED! which is just so much fun so we wanted to keep assassins in the name. Thanks for all your great feedback!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cardassassins wrote:
Hey Brenden,

So you only really need to remember the your target and one word at any given time. When you are assigned targets in the beginning of the game the the assassin card assigns you an assassin name ex (Helga), you then look around the room to see the backs of the cards which show the assassin faces and names. Say I look around and see you (Brenden) holding the card that says Helga on the back you are my target. Then I have to get you to say the assigned killword ex. (stone) I then might casually talk to you about rolling stones, or the stoneage or being stoned. If someone assassinates me before I get you to say stone, I tell them that their new target is Brendan with the word stone. It keeps going until there is one winning assassin.


I understand how it would work if everyone is holding their card the whole time, but if this is a metagame that takes place over a long time, is it expected that everyone is holding their card all the time?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BagOTricks
msg tools
mbmbmb
Spire wrote:
I know you didn't ask for game name suggestions, but I just thought of another one: “Conversation Killers”.


IMO Conversation Killers is a far better name.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Upvoting Conversation Killers
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW this game looks hella fun.

I'm interpreting slogan as a line that will appear on the box front and make me want to pick it up and flip it over to see what the game is about.

D. Kill your friends! is the only one which achieves this. A, however, makes a great sentence for the back (where you should explain the game in a little more depth).

Also, after reading the thread, I really think "Conversation Killers" is a good title.

-EE
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
card assassins
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the slogan we are looking for is mainly meant to draw someone in to learn more. We'll have to think hard about this conversation killers thing haha!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
card assassins
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey Brendan, sorry about the confusion haha, its much easier to understand in person. Theres no need to hold the cards, right after you're assigned a target you just remember their real name (brendan) rather than their assassin name (helga). I just made a short placeholder overview video.. much easier than describing it in a thread haha! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4m05DsqCsg&feature=youtu.be
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:
How about: If words could kill.


I like this, or just "Words can hurt you!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schwab
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
Riffing on the suggestions above:

"Sticks and stones can break your bones... but words can KILL!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.