GKR: Heavy Hitters» Forums » General

Subject: Any impressions on the solo mode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy howard
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm wondering if any solo players out there have some initial impressions of the gameplay. Even if you played once or twice. I assume a game like this needs about 5 plays multiplayer or solo to really get it, but I'm curious. Plus they don't have a rulebook available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game solo twice to learn how it all works. I never actually finished a solo game, however, as it wasn't near as fun as I had hoped it would be. This game is meant to be played against others, as that's where the fun can be found.

With that said, now that I've gotten a few more games under my belt, I may want to try out the solo variant, just to see if my mind has changed, but also to try out different weapon combinations. I still feel that playing against other people is the best way to learn, but solo mode does help you figure out what kind of deck configuration might suit your play style.

I'm interested to read/hear about the tournaments they're planning - cause that could be a good reason to figure out a killer weapon combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased the game yesterday. I'll be taking a look through the rule book today, and hope to get a play in this week, although not sure if I'll have the time. My hope is to get a few games under my belt and then film a solo play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy howard
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I can't find this rulebook! I can get an idea of how it works that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy howard
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I know it's really a multiplayer game and I want it just fir that, BUT a solo experience can make my choice even easier. Hefty price tag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stixxs13 wrote:
I can't find this rulebook! I can get an idea of how it works that way.

I don't think the rule book has been shared online yet. I can tell you that basically you can battle against 1, 2, or 3 other robots. The turn structure stays largely the same as in the multiplayer game, and the win/loss conditions are the same. You either destroy the enemy GKR(s) or demolish 4 buildings before your GKR is destroyed. The AI actions are determined largely by the roll of a single D6. There are also templates you follow for enemy movement and placement based on priorities. For example, there may be 6 hexes surrounding the enemy unit and there will be letter priority for each of those hexes (A-F). If A is available, you go there, if not, try B, etc. I hope that at least gives you a little idea. I'm really going to try to get some plays in so I can film something sooner rather than later since there's nothing really out there focusing on the solo mode that I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy howard
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mike it's jeremy from Jambalaya Plays Games! I'm waiting for your video, but I figured I would head over to BGG to check things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stixxs13 wrote:
Mike it's jeremy from Jambalaya Plays Games! I'm waiting for your video, but I figured I would head over to BGG to check things out.

Hey, Jeremy! Uh, oh. Pressure is really on now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played my first solo game today. I really enjoyed it. It took me a few rounds to feel like I understood how things all came together, but honestly, it's a pretty clean and simple rule set.

The solo game has some differences to the multiplayer game, in that you don't play with pilot powers or upgrades. The AI deck is constructed during set-up, and consists of different attack cards that you shuffle together. This AI deck also constitutes the health of the opponent just like normal.

Each phase of the game that involves the AI (everything except Tagging and Reset phases) uses a single d6 and a reference sheet to determine what they do. Once you understand the basics, it goes quickly.

I ended up losing the game when my Heavy Hitter got destroyed. I felt like I was in the game all the way until the end. I had done significant damage to the AI Heavy Hitter, and I was probably one powerful attack away from the victory.

All told, I really enjoyed it. I'm hopeful that I'll get a solo play through filmed, but there are some challenges. It takes up a lot of space, so filming could be a challenge. Also, this first game took quite a while, but I think my next game will go MUCH more quickly. Still, it could be one of my longer videos (enough so that I might have to break it into parts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.