Carl Hintze
Sweden
flag msg tools
There are worse burdens...
badge
Cool Cat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Im looking for games in the veins of Container.
Economic games with alot of player interaction that plays in 90 to 120 minutes. Open endead economic system like conatiners is also a big plus.

And mabye not to weighty games, i think container is on the deeper end of what i might want to play. I tried brass and it was WAY to heavy and clunky.

I rather like games where you play some sort of company and themes that are quite everyday, like playing a shipping company or a car factory.

Help me with some good ones please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm interested in this topic, I love economic games but they are all heavy and long, would be nice if there was something out there that required less time and scratches the same itch.

Currently I love Indonesia, Food Chain Magnate and 18xx games but all run very long.

Maybe you can try Tramways, with 2 and 3 players it's pretty short, about 2 hours, once you go 4 players or 5 it turns into a long game. But it's really good and I highly recommend it.

I haven't played Container, hope I find a copy one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Complexity is the only thing that keeps us from predicting every second of our future. hmmm!
badge
“ I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. " -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you looking for the buying and selling aspect or the production/upgrade/ship/sell type game

if its only buy and sell a shorter game might be Jambo and [=asante][/]

another might be Mundus Novus

on the more produce and sell Fleet

and else the king of the hill Le Havre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cazzmataz wrote:
Hello,

Economic games with alot of player interaction that plays in 90 to 120 minutes. Open endead economic system like conatiners is also a big plus.

And mabye not to weighty games, i think container is on the deeper end of what i might want to play. I tried brass and it was WAY to heavy and clunky.

I rather like games where you play some sort of company and themes that are quite everyday, like playing a shipping company or a car factory.

You like playing a car factory but haven't, as far as I can see, played Automobile? You invest in car factories for three different market segments and compete with the other players by investing in more modern factories.

Indonesia is probably too long but why not have a look at The Great Zimbabwe, which is along the same vein. Suppliers (craftsmen) are placed by the players themselves and their goods are bought and transported along routes to build monuments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Acquire
Stockpile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hintze
Sweden
flag msg tools
There are worse burdens...
badge
Cool Cat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great recommendations!

Acquire is a great choice i feel.

How are Panamax, powergrid and Kanban? Would anyone recommend them for this type of game im looking for? Do they have interaction and a player run economic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
#alwaysberunning
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for The Great Zimbabwe

It's not as heavy as Food Chain Magnate but also a superb economic and route building game with a sleek rule set and it plays rather quick for a Splotter title. With 2 players we regularly finish around the 30-45 minute mark. With 4-5 players I'd say 90-120 minutes. TGZ has so much player interaction (basically everything you do) and a player driven economy - sounds like a perfect fit for you. It's one of the few games I've rated a straight 10. The only negative is its availability and its price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the Stockpile recommendation. Its super-fast and has plenty of interaction in the form of bluffing and manipulating stocks to try and screw over other people.

Planet Steam doesn't have an 'everyday' theme (it's steampunk) but it is a nice economic game containing a market of fluctuating prices. It plays in 2 hours at the full player count of 5. It's medium-to-heavy in weight, with the main 'thinkyness' being that you always have to plan for the turn ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bennett
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Not a pure economic game but clans of Caledonia has a commodity/goods market that you have to manipulate and manage to fulfill contracts. There's an engine building and area control component as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Since you specifically mentioned car factory:
Automania
Kraftwagen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cazzmataz wrote:
Great recommendations!

Acquire is a great choice i feel.

How are Panamax, powergrid and Kanban? Would anyone recommend them for this type of game im looking for? Do they have interaction and a player run economic?

Panamax felt clunky.
Power Grid is an excellent game of lasting popularity with lots of support for variations as well. It definitely has a solid amount of player interaction -- but doesn't so much have the feel of a player-run economy.
I don't know Kanban.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to get my copy of container. But in the meantime we are playing Prêt-à-Porter and Imperial. I have high hopes for Food Chain Magnate, but so far it hasn't meshed with my groups.

Cazzmataz wrote:
Hello,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not often recommended but I've had my eye on Nautilus Industries for a while - you are an underwater sea mining company. Maybe on the short/simple side though but does have great interaction and is all about the market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Chocolate

Cazzmataz wrote:

King Chocolate is quite open ended and definitely has a good deal of player interaction. It has actually been compared to Container by some commenters on BGG. Each player controls at most 4 stages of the 6 stages of chocolate production, and money is earned at each stage along the way as the product moves through the production sequence. Sometimes you will even find yourself using your limited actions to help other players a bit in order to set yourself up to squeeze more money out of the production process.

One of the most important aspects of the game is the way the production groups grow their capacity (or have their growth cut off) through a mandatory tile lay at the beginning of each player's turn. As groups expand and others are limited, bottlenecks in the production sequence can form. Another cool aspect of the game is the ability to monopolize (or at least try to do so) certain stages of the production process so that no one can complete the process without you getting a cut.

Quote:

King Chocolate is very simple to learn and teach. The hardest part for people to learn is that money is only earned by the facility from which the product is moved (i.e., only when the product leaves a production group). By the way, it will more likely be under 90 minutes depending upon the amount of time players spend analyzing the game state. The teach is no more than 10 minutes probably.

Quote:

I love such games as well, and King Chocolate definitely fits into this category even if the game is a fair bit more abstract than many others. Apart from the abstractness, I would say it has one potential negative for your request - the "money" is really only points in that it is never spent and only ever increases over the course of the game.

Nevertheless, I think King Chocolate is a very good and very unique game, and one that seems to be a good fit for your request. Check out some of the written reviews on BGG (most of the video reviews were very critical but for what many thought were quite shallow reasons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Seitz

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
I also like this kind of game!

Chicago Express is an auction/stock game with an everyday theme (trains). Lots of player interaction and temporary alliances. Only takes about an hour to play.

Modern Art is also an auction/stock game with lots of interaction via clever manipulation of stock values, bidding, and a player-driven economy that has some similarities to Container (though faster and lighter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Automobile is far too long but The Great Zimbabwe and Modern Art are great suggestions. Others:

Ponzi Scheme
Neue Heimat
Import / Export

Ponzi is quite light and always a hoot to play. You have to take big chances but not so big you're the first to bankrupt. It's very interactive as you offer to buy others' buildings that award them and you points and they either have to accept or pay the same as you offered for one of your identical tiles. And then you have to accept.

Neue Heimat is a bidding game where the dice you bid for become the economy in a very mean rush to finish the rows you place your dice and make sure the other rows where the other players are more invested will award them more minus points than you.

Import/Export is a card game that is a mix of Container and Glory to Rome and it works! So that's probably the best suggestion for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard Leßmann
Germany
Kronberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you asked about Kanban: really excellent game - among my favorites, but it is a heavy (complex) game. The box says 90-120 minutes, but all my games took longer.

Powergrid is also excellent, and in my opinion lighter than Kanban.

You may also have a look at Energy Empire. Lighter than Kanban, maybe even a bit lighter than Power Grid, and plays in 60 -120 minutes.

Sorry, I forgot you are looking for games with much interaction. Energy Empire doesn't have much interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.