Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried playing this but there were so many bad guys one escaped every turn causing everyone to remove cards from deck to discard... I quit after having no cards in my hand 2 turns before my turn... This game is ridiculously hard... There an easier way to play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was your set up, that sounds like a very unusual situation?

Which heroes, schemes, mastermind etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh they added heroes and villains at total random. I also heard this game was hard in general. They had Carnage Venom and bad guys like Shrik The destroyer from Thor.. The Four Horsemen from Age of Apocalypse.. The Scheme was build a super jail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falco Timmerman
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With all due respect I think you might not be playing it correctly.

Generally when villains escape you don't discard cards, except if they were carrying bystanders (in which case everyone discards one card no matter the amount of bystanders) or if their escape effect tells you to. I'm also wondering with how many players you were playing, I'm curious how you lost your entire hand two turns before your own turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it looks like you might have gotten some rule wrong. If there is a regular complaint against Legendary (especially the base game) is that it is too easy for a coop game (okay, semi-coop, let's not go there right?).

For instance, how's that all of you had all those cards discarded? was it instructed by the scheme? a masterstrike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Yeah, if anything, this game (the core at least) is on the easy side.

Though if you say that you had the Horsemen of Apocalypse than you're playing with some expansions.

Give us more details:

What scheme?
What mastermind?
What villain groups?
What Heroes?

Then if you can describe a couple of turns you guys played it would make things so much easier.

Suffice it to say, something was most likely done not by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if i may say when i did introduce people to Marvel Legendary for the first time i will not use expansions....

And usually i say this would be easy in the endgame.

Unlike Legendary Encounters Alien when i do say to newbies that we all gonna die, so enjoy the ride anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Facsantos wrote:
And if i may say when i did introduce people to Marvel Legendary for the first time i will not use expansions....

Indeed: simply use the recommanded set-up for the first game given in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Facsantos wrote:

And usually i say this would be easy in the endgame.

Unlike Legendary Encounters Alien when i do say to newbies that we all gonna die, so enjoy the ride anyway.

I usually say this to experienced players as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Facsantos wrote:

I usually say this to experienced players as well.

Me and the wife on our latest game went from this is going well to 2 chestbursters in 3/4 turns..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Yeah, if anything, this game (the core at least) is on the easy side.

Though if you say that you had the Horsemen of Apocalypse than you're playing with some expansions.

Give us more details:

What scheme?
What mastermind?
What villain groups?
What Heroes?

Then if you can describe a couple of turns you guys played it would make things so much easier.

Suffice it to say, something was most likely done not by the rules.

The scheme was Build a Mega Prison. The boss was Carnage Venom. The bad guys were Age of Apocalypse, Minions of Asgard, Bunch of other bad guys I never heard of like Shriek.

Heroes were Juggernaut Punisher, Thor.. I think.. Lot of Asgardian cards out.

We had nothing really happen for 5 turns then a bad guy was escaping every other turn but a few bystanders were in play and escaped. Then The Destroyr from Thor escaped and we had to remove heroes from our deck.. Then a few bad guys with bystanders escaped I got a second turn but before my third turn I had 3 cards in my hand and another bad guy with ko heroes escaped... Another player did mark using 100% random sets was a bit much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely a hard setup, especially for new players.
I don't know if this is a 3 player game, a mighty struggle. A 4 player game - ouch. Or a 5 player game (even the easiest setups are nearly impossible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
It is definitely a hard setup, especially for new players.
I don't know if this is a 3 player game, a mighty struggle. A 4 player game - ouch. Or a 5 player game (even the easiest setups are nearly impossible).

5 with me going last the host of the server was a bit... When your host says "Nah I don't want to promote you to summon a saved object to determine the first player we'll just use a d20" *enlarges to an incredibly unnecessary size* "A huge **** d20!" Kinda should've assumed he would just not care about game being fair...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five player is *much* harder than lower player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you had such a poor experience playing the game, Nathan. That setup was unusually harsh and just wasn't a good introduction to the game. I hope you get a chance to play it again under better circumstances. I would recommend that you avoid playing the game with 5 players, also.

Welcome to the Legendary BGG forums community though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
As someone whose first games were also 5 person, I'd say it is more than possible, you just have to be mindful of the setup and follow a house/official rule to skip drawing a villain card during every players' first two turns. As long as people are not interested in being jerks, 5 players is great and I've had a blast in my 5 player games. Not everyone agrees but so it goes.

The recommended game in the base game rulebook is really fun and is great for teaching the game. I am sorry that you did not play that setup first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kelly
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I would agree with the consensus here. Welcome to Marvel Legendary.

Random with 5 players. Been there, unfortunately that is how I started too. We lost so fast it made my head spin, but with a little planning, this game is super fun. Don't hesitate to stack the deck in your favor by picking heroes that have an advantage over the Mastermind or scheme. Build groups that synergize well, and tell your friends to pick a hero and stick with it. It took me a few games to convince a few of my friends that we were losing because one or two of them would recruit the cards they liked at that moment with no thought how they fit into their deck. Crazy, but not obvious to all new players.

Good luck and hope you have a better game next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that your introduction was unusually harsh. Normally Carnage is on the easy side, but your Scheme was one where he has an advantage since you lose if too many wounds or Bindings come out. It definitely didn't help that you also had the Enemies of Asgard, who by themselves can produce a large amount of Bindings or Wounds (Build a Mega Vault Prison is from Villains so I used both terms for wounds). If they show up early, they can really screw with the players' decks.

In general the Base Game is considered the easiest, Villains is harder and several recent sets get really rough (Civil War and Deadpool are especially challenging).

If your playing group has a lot of newcomers, I would be just fine with arranging the set up so that the less experienced don't fall prey to common traps. In particular, I wouldn't use a randomized game when introducing the game to newcomers because there's too high a chance to overwhelm them with extra terms and concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just starting out, I found it helpful to try some of these Setups for new players to better understand how the cards worked together and get the flow of the game down.

If you stick to the core set starting out, you will find it much easier than the later expansions, which can add a ton of difficulty depending on the combination of scheme/mastermind/hero.

This, and more information, can be found on Tips for new players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Arianne's links are sensational for newcomers to the game, or just need some boning up on strategies in this game. In my opinion, the one on setups goes overboard on thumping away at those concepts (few decks will need Black Widow and Nick Fury to kill off their Starting Heroes), but in a game with many players they can make sense because a player or two could miss out on the key cards.

For the Original Poster: have you played any games since getting crushed? If so, how did they go? Did the person introducing you and the others ever try any setups that aren't so annoying for newcomers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.