Bios: Genesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solitaire game and player parasites rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Metal Rabbit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

In the solitaire game, do the 2 player colours have their own parasites as well as the AI? I am thinking in terms of attaching one of my player parasites to the other player microorganism (and no, I have no real idea how that will progress...) and/or hyperparasites

TIA, Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In solo game you choose two colors (with their respective bionts)

The AI plays with the two other colors, but each color with a single biont, which acts as a parasite.

Your bionts can not parasitize any organism (also, it is counterproductive, the parasite is designed to hinder the evolution of organisms)

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metal Rabbit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks. But can I hyperparasitize an AI parasite that has inflicted itself on one of my (other player) microorganisms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no hyperparasites in the solo game per C1.

Edit: correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metal Rabbit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you. C1 says that the AI can't become a hyperparasite, but I can't see where it mentions about player parasites becoming hyperparasites:

Parasite AI. One Biont of each of the two colors not chosen is used to enable one non-player controlled (NPC) Parasite. The turn order for these two NPC Parasites follows the rules for their color. Each is hostile until assimilated as an Endosymbiont or Foreign Gene. Right after a player color takes his assignment phase, a random side of the NPC Parasite of that color will try to attach to the Host that will give it the most allowed Diseased cubes. However, it can’t become a Hyperparasite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel answered that in his post. Basically, there are no parasites of the player colors in the solo game. For example, if you play Salmonella (green) and Malaria (yellow), then only prion/protein X (red) and viroid/virus (blue) can parasitize.

Added: However, the bionts of the player colors can hyperparisitize the parasites in any of their tableaus.

Edited to correct erroneous information (confirmed by H3 and H4 of the living rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poisonguy wrote:
Samuel answered that in his post. Basically, there are no parasites of the player colors in the solo game. For example, if you play Salmonella (green) and Malaria (yellow), then only prion/protein X (red) and viroid/virus (blue) can parasitize.
Could you or Marcel point out please where in the rules it says solo doesn't use player parasites? The coop rules explicitly say so but I can't see it in C1.
If it is a smart move to use them as (hyper)parasites is besides the point, I'm interested in if the rules allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Garcia
Spain
Telde
Las Palmas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In solitaire mode, the player can use the parasites of the two colours under his/her control.

It is in co-op mode that players do not use parasites, as they are all under control of AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You MAY use your parasites as hyperparasites in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metal Rabbit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Didn't mean to kick a (small) hornets nest, sorry - but thanks, that's kinda what I gleaned from the rules.

Looking forward to my copy of the game arriving (expected imminently) :-)

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That's news to me, obviously! Thanks for the info.This makes a fairly easy solo game that much easier. I was solely depending on red queening for phagocytosing endosymbionts.

I wonder why some parasites are left unrestricted regarding hyperparasitizing while others are not. How does that make sense thematically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poisonguy wrote:
Quote:

That's news to me, obviously! Thanks for the info.This makes a fairly easy solo game that much easier. I was solely depending on red queening for phagocytosing endosymbionts.

I wonder why some parasites are left unrestricted regarding hyperparasitizing while others are not. How does that make sense thematically?
Pretty sure it's a game play consideration more than thematic; how does it make sense thematically that no hyperparasites are allowed just because there are a different number of players?

From a gameplay perspective it makes a lot of sense to not worry about when the AI should or shouldn't become a hyperparasite so it's simplified to never to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
From a gameplay perspective it makes a lot of sense to not worry about when the AI should or shouldn't become a hyperparasite so it's simplified to never to that.

I think that's it. Thematically it's not that they can't, it's just that the AI doesn't want to (it would rather attack your organisms).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metal Rabbit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
As discussed elsewhere, a solo player can parasite his other player microorganism just prior to it becoming a macroorganism and get the 'friendly' biont in as an endosymbiont at the last possible moment (assumes the organism has a spare cube it can afford to 'spend' on the parasite).

Also, my attitude on the solo isn't to 'win', but to achieve the highest possible 'score' (as many terrestial organisms as possible?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metal_rabbit wrote:
As discussed elsewhere, a solo player can parasite his other player microorganism just prior to it becoming a macroorganism and get the 'friendly' biont in as an endosymbiont at the last possible moment (assumes the organism has a spare cube it can afford to 'spend' on the parasite).

Also, my attitude on the solo isn't to 'win', but to achieve the highest possible 'score' (as many terrestial organisms as possible?)

You're right. The solo mode is pretty easy in my opinion to get the terrestrial win. The "real" objective is to get the most victory points for each player (43 and 29 points in my last game, two terrestrial and one marine macroorganisms, all of them with bionts from the two players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Cea García
Spain
flag msg tools
metal_rabbit wrote:
Hi

In the solitaire game, do the 2 player colours have their own parasites as well as the AI? I am thinking in terms of attaching one of my player parasites to the other player microorganism (and no, I have no real idea how that will progress...) and/or hyperparasites

TIA, Peter

I disagree. A player can parasite with one color a microorganisn of the other color under its control. By C1 you must use two players rules, which involves that you must maintain separate tableaus and tableau pools for both of yours colors.

In fact that strategy makes the game easier, because an AI parasite alwais will promote/buy a mutation if it can, spending from organism tableau, while if it is your other color who parasites can remain quite up to you will recover all stolen cubes through red queen attack taking also an endobiont. This gives an extra purchase to you what makes everything quicker.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.