Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year for me has been me getting board games for my friends. Usually they're on the lighter side. But every so often I decide to give my friends a heavier or longer game and help them along with their collection either to actually play or just as a good conversation piece.

So as a gamer do you get games for your friends out of the blue if the theme or anything else makes you think about them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never gift games.

Pete (has found that they inevitably end up back in his basement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given up giving games to non-gamers. It's almost never worked for me.

What I do instead is pass off games I'm done with to folk who might be interested (my lover's sister and her boyfriend are into games too and that's been a handy way to downsize) and if I play the likes of Hanabi with someone and they enjoy it - just let them keep it (Rule: cheaper than a round of drinks and easily available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I never gift games. Ever.

Most hobbyists own the games they want. With non-hobbyists you can't easily predict their tastes due to their lack of experience.

Things that supplement board games I think are great gifts for hobbyists. Things like metal coins, game organizers, tokens for specific beloved games, etc.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On occasion - depending on the person.

My most consistent game gift-giving has been to my sister-in-law, who is a nun with a order based near Ann Arbor, MI. Every Christmas I've sent her (and by extension, the convent) a new board game (mostly gateway stuff). But amazingly they've all been big hits (to the extent that some of the nuns have apparently gotten quite the reputation for fierce, competitive play).

They're a teaching order, so eventually I may start sending them some more educational type games and just wait and see if some of them start using board games in their classroom.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very seldom for adults unless I have played the game with them and they really liked it.

I do gift games to children but I'm also wondering whether it's a good idea... in the end parents have to read the rules and play with the children (unless much older) and the question is, will they? Once I gave a friend's child The Enchanted Tower but my friend found the rules too complicated, she even tried calling the publisher lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I used to give games as gifts back before I knew better. Every so often I still give them within my immediate family but they all recognize them for what they really are - gifts for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For my buddy who is also a hobby gamer, they used to be my go to. In recent years, I’ve tried to get away from that because it’s become cliche. But if there’s a game I know he really wants, I will get that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I used to give games as gifts back before I knew better. Every so often I still give them within my immediate family but they all recognize them for what they really are - gifts for me.

I never give games to my family as they are all party gamers... and I'm not. I'm in the same boat that if I ever did give them something like any Euro they would call me out on it.

Though my sister in California is the exception but she rarely visits so all the games she wants to play usually end up gathering dust.

Friends however are very different, I think they are either so new to the hobby that a good theme they can latch onto or a game that fits their lifestyle is something they appreciate. My friend's son really wants to role play but hates math for example, what game came out this year that's light on math and is basically an RPG? Stuffed Fables so I bought it at my FLGS and he loves it just as much as his kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BagOTricks
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with all of those saying it doesn't work. I gave a couple I game with a copy of Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, which is hands-down their favorite game, and it has been played once (to my knowledge) in over a year.

I'm not sure what the specifics are but it does seem like game collectors make up a surprisingly small subset of game players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often give family games to families with kids who I know will play them. In most cases, this has gone over very well.

I have also given games to parents/siblings, but have seen mixed results and am leaning away from that position. However, some people expect a game from me since they know it's my hobby... so that makes the choice of whether to give one a bit tougher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not "go to" gift.

That said, I have given games as gifts but not blindly, I had done some sneaky research to see if that person LIKED the game.

Four people I've given games to and all four play those games regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All life is of cosmic origin.
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only for gamers.

that's a lie, I need to stop giving games to non-gamers they don't play them, and I secretly wonder how much they cringe when I gift games to them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gifted The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet to a non-gaming couple because they had excerpts from the book in their wedding. I played with them once, but I'm sure they haven't touched it since.

I've gifted Winner's Circle to a gamer friend who also owns a horse. They like the game, and play it.

I've had some games the star of a Secret Santa, but also gotten a lot of grief for trying to gift board games to non-gamers. So yeah, I'll only gift games to gamers now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Sockelf
Canada
flag msg tools
For my kids? Yes - they usually get a game at Christmas or birthdays, etc. And sometimes for fun things like "Happy spring break!" but really, they're almost all games they can play with me as well.

For some members of my family? Sometimes. The nieces and nephews are fun to shop for. My parents and brother like games, but my two sisters are likely more content to play others' games and receive different sorts of gifts. They don't tend to game unless it's with us, I'd say.

I guess my answer is "it depends on the person." Though I'm totally going to sneak Flashpoint into my husband's Father's Day gifts. It works cause he's a volunteer fireman, right?! hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally we don’t give games as gifts to non-gamers unless they have specifically asked. For kids, sometimes a light family game, like Coloretto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Various siblings & siblings-in-law (plus children) range from "games are crap, I never play them" (despite playing a boardgame at least once a year) through family gamers all the way to more hardcore gamers.
I gift appropriatly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to only give to the ones I'm pretty sure will play them. I love buying games so much that I often have to resist the desire to buy people games for every birthday/ Christmas gift.

The problem is most people won't take the time to learn them, even if they're relatively easy, unless I personally teach them, which I can't always do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
That said, I have given games as gifts but not blindly, I had done some sneaky research to see if that person LIKED the game.

Yeah I don't gift blindly don't get me wrong. I usually gift games that are at least thematically something the person would like. A family of Football fans? Pizza Box Football for example.

I was on the receiving end of a blind gift game not once but twice.

I am the not so proud owner of Dwarven Dig! and owned Roman Taxi both terrible games and one I still have. I have no idea if Roman Taxi is still around though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this sometimes, to mostly non-gamer friends (but who've enjoyed playing a game with me once in a while). It's almost always been successful, and it's almost always been Sushi Go!/Sushi Go Party!.

I do not have people give me games (except my partner, with whom I have a joint collection). Nobody would know enough of what I want.
The one exception: Food Chain Magnate as wedding present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't give games totally out of the blue. But if we're invited to a wedding and we know that one of the couple is game-interested, we'll gift them a simple co-op game -- from the ideas that learning to cooperate is a good skill for a relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only to people who already like games.

I never give them to non gamers. It would feel like I was getting their present for me rather than looking at their interests. Like getting me a football annual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
We don't give games totally out of the blue. But if we're invited to a wedding and we know that one of the couple is game-interested, we'll gift them a simple co-op game -- from the ideas that learning to cooperate is a good skill for a relationship.

Getting Dominion: Intrigue as a wedding gift was how I got into (modern) board gaming. And Hanabi was one that my wife and I really enjoyed as newly weds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to offload random games onto other gamers. It's usually something they would like, like and exp. or promo card for a game they already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.