Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: First Time Playing, any tips for a successful first session? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Major
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
In the next few weeks, I'm getting a group together for our first play of Civilization (Classic, not Advanced) and none of us have played before. It should be a 5 player game, but maybe 6 or 7. I'd like to ensure that things go smoothly and we aren't playing until 4 AM if possible. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or even house rules to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't put yourself under time pressures, plan for a very full day of gaming and make sure that at least one person has the rules absolutely nailed.

It's been a while since I taught it, perhaps someone has suggestions about a "fast start" teach, because you really don't need all the rules up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"professororange" in Illinois... I'm guessing you are in the Champaign area? But if closer to Aurora, and you need another player...

Before my first play a few years ago, I gleaned the following tips off of BGG threads. We had 5 people and the game time was a little over 10 hours with breaks. Awesome, of course.

- Best not to have both Illyria/Thrace or all 3 of Asia/Assyria/Babylon in play in the same game

- War is not a valid strategy, but a well timed attack in the right place at the right time can really make someone wince. Having the lowest population and moving last in a turn is a HUGE advantage.

- When playing Babylon or Egypt, don't build two cities in turn 4. Wait a turn, fall one step behind the other players on AST, and then build cities when you have 32 people. This is a much better plan than ending up with 2 cities and 4 people which will make you miserable. Egypt/Babylon player should get Engineering as they are the worst struck if they get Flood.

- Recommended for All: Don't build cites on turns 3 and 4.

- There is an article about how best to start Crete in the rules for Advanced Civ. Here's the short version: Wait on Crete until you have 8 farmers. Then build a ship in Knossus by population levy, ship one farmer from Knossus and 4 from Phaestos over to Greece. Drop 1 in Argos, 2 in Athens, and 2 in Delphi. Grow and expand for one more turn, then build cities in Sparta and Argos. When you're back to 8 farmers in Crete, head for western Turkey. In the early game as you build cities, use all your cash for ships, and rule the waves. Bottom Line - not hard but tightly scripted. You can work it out mathematically that no other strategy is as good. Crete’s problem is farming ground, not city sites.

- Buying only the 11 most expensive civilization cards (1480 points) can be done by any country, and all players in a game should aim for those cards if possible. Too many cheap ones get you past various obstacles in the AST quickly, but doom chances of victory later on.

- When it's your turn to purchase civilization cards, always remember this: If you can wait another turn, you can typically collect an additional card or two of whatever set you're collecting. Since the card values rise exponentially in sets, this might allow you to buy an additional civilization card simply by foregoing your current purchase opportunity. Never be in too much of a hurry to purchase cards if there is no immediate need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a time limit on trading cards in the trading phase. maybe 5 minutes max. Not sure if this a house rule or in the rules but it makes it more fun. (At least for me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand that this is NOT a short game. This could easily run twelve hours.

One thing to check: There was a rule change that said the "second" in the Civil War was the person with the most tokens in stock. This is designed to help the guy that is losing.

Tell people: Don't give up! Floods are going to happen. Civil Wars are going to mix the map up completely. There are some mean Plain Back cards.

*** A player can't be Prime on more than two Calamities. And they are resolved lowest to highest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Major
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
rules_heretic wrote:
Understand that this is NOT a short game. This could easily run twelve hours.

Yeah, definitely aware of the time investment. The group I'm playing with has done all day D&D sessions, Twilight Imperium, some war games, other really long stuff.

team_bonnie wrote:
"professororange" in Illinois... I'm guessing you are in the Champaign area? But if closer to Aurora, and you need another player...

Chicago, actually. I'll let you know if we need an extra! Thanks for the tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galatolol 1
Poland
Kraków / Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big A wrote:
Have a time limit on trading cards in the trading phase. maybe 5 minutes max. Not sure if this a house rule or in the rules but it makes it more fun. (At least for me)

It's in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.