BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Just started my collection, looking for advice! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Burgess
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to look at my post. I've been into board games for quite some time but have just recently in the last year and a half started collecting. I like all kinds of games from social deduction, to worker placement, area control, co-op, whatever. My question is this, after looking at my collection what games am I really missing out on? What should for sure make my list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a decent collection already! Have you played most of those games?

I hesitate to respond to such an open-ended question, since no game is of course for everyone... but two amazing games you're missing are Carcassonne and Memoir 44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do more playing than collecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Canales
Switzerland
Pully
flag msg tools
badge
That's my spot... You're on *my* spot...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice collection!

Since you ask, I don't see any of the "super heavy" worker plavement game like Terra Mystica, Gaia Project or Clans of Caledonia.

Those are definitely worth entering a collection. Maybe try them first to see wich one appeals most!

Another thing I don't see is plain "board gamey" wargame like Kemet or Cyclades.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d add a trashy Fantasy Flight Games game... Eldritch Horror.

Or a hidden mvt game like Specter Ops

Maybe a dexterity game like, Junk Art or there is a new printing of Catacombs (third edition) out now.

Also, to add to the heavier popular games, take a look at Scythe... oh, we love that game! Or Viticulture Essential Edition.

Good luck
-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to answer to this lately is two games I’ve been playing since the late 90s that hold up as well as anything newly released (one of these got two new editions last year):

Bohnanza and Modern Art.

They may not be the very best negotiation and auction game, but they’re awfully close, very accessible, and great fun. Plus, they can be had for $18 and $25 on Amazon right now.

As I said, it’s my go-to answer anyway. But if you can routinely get all of that social deduction on the table, I think your group in particular has the muscles to make these games shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you buy games that your group will actually play. That was my mistake when I started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well nothing is essential for a collection because there are so many good games about these days you won’t have time to play them all.

But some of the most enduring games in my collection that I still enjoy after many plays are:
Dominion The originator of the deckbuilding genre. If you like it an expansion or 2 is useful to really keep up long term replay-ability. Dominion: Prosperity being my favourite. - though most except for Dominion: Alchemy are good.
Agricola My favourite worker placement game.
Race for the Galaxy Though if you want to start off with a simpler game in this style then San Juan is also very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
DecafBonesaw wrote:
I like all kinds of games from social deduction, to worker placement, area control, co-op, whatever.

I would have said this, too, a few years ago. Filled with game love. Now I know better about what my favorites are, and I know better about what kinds of games the people I play with will actually play with me. The intersection of those two are the only games I need to own. There's only so much time and the other people have their own games they want to play. Because all advice is autobiographical, that is my advice to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DecafBonesaw wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to look at my post. I've been into board games for quite some time but have just recently in the last year and a half started collecting. I like all kinds of games from social deduction, to worker placement, area control, co-op, whatever. My question is this, after looking at my collection what games am I really missing out on? What should for sure make my list?

1) Don't collect games.

2) Unless you have a ton of disposable cash and find collecting fun in its own right. But be aware, that if you are like most of us, you will find most of your games collecting dust instead of playing them. In the long run you will probably be happier playing games and only buying the ones you know you will play and enjoy for a prolonged period. But who am I to say so, I have more games than I know what to do with.

3) You clearly need these games:
Dominion (best deck builder)
Mage Knight Board Game (best solo game)
Twilight Struggle (best deep 2 player game)
Agricola (best worker placement game)
Gaia Project (superb euro with factions)
Power Grid (great accessible economic game)
Through The Ages (best civ game, but you could just use the app)
The Castles Of Burgundy (the quinessential point salad game)
Android: Netrunner (best LCG, but this is a money sink)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burgess
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply. Yes I do find collecting quite addicting, but I am lucky enough to have some people around so that I've gotten almost every game I own to the table. The exceptions being twilight imperium and game of thrones. I do find myself tailoring my game selections based on the amount I'll be able to get them to the table. If it was just up to me I'd be playing feast for Odin or more games with weight to them. So I'm trying to find that nice balance of satisfying my collecting itch and also my gaming itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ct5150 wrote:
Do more playing than collecting.

Unless, y'know, you enjoy collecting more than playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Stegmiller
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would recommend some card tableau building games like Seasons, 51st State, Imperial Settlers, Deus or Alien Artifacts.

Suburbia or Castles of Mad King Ludwig are great games, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All life is of cosmic origin.
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have any dungeon crawlers. Look into Descent 2.0 and RTL. There is also The dungeon crawler collecter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need
Kingdom death monster
Cthulhu wars
Mythic battles pantheon
Hero quest
Oh and star wars queen s gambit,
Those should round out you collection nicely plus don't forget all the expansions for each

Seriously though I think your missing a game like blood rage. (Normal retail version is fine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y V
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be afraid your collection misses games. It doesn't miss any game untill you find a game you really want. And you will find plenty of them, so do not hurry filling up your shelves, they will be filled sooner than you think or want! Our 'just one game closet' policy turned out into 'just three closets' while we have never actively been looking for new games or had any feeling we missed games. It's just these new games and new expansions keep finding our home somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're lacking a good, solid abstract or two.

Azul
Zendo
Onitama
Tao Long
Gipf Series
Pyramid Arcade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are four that really stick out to me:

Azul - must have

Dominion - at least one of the series

Istanbul - a true classic

Splendor - another classic, quick play, lighter side

Of course there are the heavey-weights that you can explore: Terra Mystica, Terraforming Mars, Great Western Trail, Marco Polo, and Scythe. ALL of these are highly recommended if you are ready for heavier fare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
You're lacking a good, solid abstract or two.

Azul
Zendo
Onitama
Tao Long
Gipf Series
Pyramid Arcade

Azul is excellent. I call it a “drafting game” as much as an abstract, but everyone loves Azul.

Zendo is also excellent, though its appeal is less broad. Again, I think it is a deduction game more than an abstract, but it is a great deduction game (and nothing like the social deduction games the OP has so many of.

My favorite “abstract for people who don’t like abstracts” is Hive Pocket. It is a great way for two folks to kill time, chatting over drinks. This is also true of Santorini.

The last 2p-only game I can’t leave out, that in my experience always lands well, is Patchwork. Just a great game.

To further elaborate on my earlier comment:

Bohnanza is one of the best negotiation games out there. It is simple and competitive. It gains a lot when played with a chatty group like might be used to social deduction games. Further up the complexity scale Chinatown and Sidereal Confluence are great. But Bohnanza goes down easily and brings out everyone’s inner used car salesman.

Modern Art is, in my estimation, the very best auction game around. Further, it is most fun when the same used car salesman comes out in each auctioneer. This one is a simple, but very deep, game, a classic, and the new CMON edition is cheap and beautifully produced.

Finally, someone mentioned Junk Art. Junk Art is a delight. I gave 3 copies to non gamers as Christmas presents, all to great success, yet we often play a round in-between very heavy games to rest our brains a bit. It is a versatile, wonderful game.

Many are mentioning games that are great, and great fun, but that might struggle to get played if your group are mostly accustomed to your current games. Every game I’ve mentioned would slot in beautifully between plays of Coup, Avalon, Mysterium, and Codenames, in contrast.

Oh, and if you ever enjoyed your copy of Magic Maze, the Maximum Security expansion is essential, especially if you’ve tired of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyramid Arcade
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Steam
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Kingdom Builder: Big Box (second edition)
Innovation Deluxe
Cry Havoc
Imperial Settlers
Raptor
Race for the Galaxy
Kamisado
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Terraforming Mars
Time's Up! Title Recall!
Wits & Wagers
Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Tragic Events
King of Tokyo
Word on the Street

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Here are four that really stick out to me:

Azul - must have

Dominion - at least one of the series

Istanbul - a true classic

Splendor - another classic, quick play, lighter side

FYI, there are no must haves and games under 5 years old have no right to be called classics. I say this as someone who loves Azul and considers it one of the best entry level games out, but a number of people feel differently. See me on Splendor as being a 6 and forgettable in 20 years.

Play games. Play more games. Find people who have games and play theirs. Find out what you like and have access to and go from there.

(Doesn't own that "must have" game Catan)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.