Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been fantasizing about this recently.

What if there was a twitch channel where you could play a game as a community similar to how Twitch Plays Pokemon functioned?
I know the dice tower has dabbled with this in an elementary way with the Sam Vs. the internet streams- but that’s just not that interesting to me.

But what if you could join a team in a 5 player game of something, write moves in the chat with a system that would take the average of the responses and play games that way?
Functionally there would be a channel economy where you would get a certain number of points by joining the stream credited to your username, then you would wager any number of points you have available towards a certain team and your chat commands would be weighted based on how many points you wagered towards that team. Then at the end of the game points are distributed back out based on the game outcomes.

The limitation/con is someone needs to physically run the game, moving all the pieces for each player.

The pros, however, seem appealing:
Faster playtime – each team has a time limit thus eliminating AP and creating a definitive time length for each game
The concept of playing the same game with hundreds of people at once is interesting and fun.
This could create an interesting platform to determine the balance of certain games- a singular place to observe and record outcomes.

Hidden information games would be difficult, or at least more complicated to pull off – you’d likely need separate streams with a “no screen peaking” understanding between players.
But there are many games where this would not be an issue.

Does this kind of thing exist and I’m missing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blackford
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of these Twitch Plays were just experiments done by programmers to test their skills, so anything is fair game. There are enough actually computerized board games as well as a few different kinds of virtual tables, though, so it doesn't have to be physical unless that's the experiment you want to try. Besides the mechanics you also want to consider the promotional aspect, such as how people will find out about the experiment, if the play is held at an event somewhere near you to get more attention, and so on. If it's virtual then you don't have to worry about the promotion as much since you don't need someone attending it and you can run it over a much longer time.

I haven't personally seen it done yet but I haven't been watching all the latest experiments in the Twitch Plays category either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.