Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for solo experience with the 2017 edition.

There's a Doomsday machine, but I read there were a couple other solo scenarios included. I would like to know a little how the other scenarios work?

Is there a flowchart AI?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
I was looking for solo experience with the 2017 edition.

There's a Doomsday machine, but I read there were a couple other solo scenarios included. I would like to know a little how the other scenarios work?

Is there a flowchart AI?

Thanks
Kind of, the AI is described in paragraph form, but it could have been described in flowchart form too. As a matter of fact the Close Encounters expansion which expands on the AI used in the base game is described in flowchart form.

The way it works is that each economy phase you roll dice to determine where the AI allocates its resources, if it launches fleets, and what it researches (only for a few technologies, most of them are determined just before combat to keep the fog of war).
The launched fleets then move based on set parameters (closest colony, avoiding or engaging your ships based on how large your fleets are, etc) and once a combat happens you roll more dice to figure out what technologies the AI gets and what ships the AI has (not for each ship, but to figure out if it prioritized larger ships, or build lots of fighters, etc) Combat is resolved like in the multiplayer game.

It is less die rolling than it sounds, but the decision points are randomized to keep the fog of war of multiplayer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Niko!

I found the playbook online and plus with your description, I understand better what I am getting into.

Sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
Thanks a lot, Niko!

I found the playbook online and plus with your description, I understand better what I am getting into.

Sounds like fun.
You should also take a look at the scenario book for Close Encounters (it's uploaded here on BGG) since I think the flowchart included in that can still be used for the base game, you just need to ignore/skip over the options that use the new stuff from the expansion.

Note: I haven't actually done that, once I got the expansion I've not gone back to the solo scenarios from the base game. So I'm not sure if that is actually easier than just sticking with the paragraph system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
sixthecat wrote:
Thanks a lot, Niko!

Sounds like fun.
You should also take a look at the scenario book for Close Encounters (it's uploaded here on BGG) since I think the flowchart included in that can still be used for the base game, you just need to ignore/skip over the options that use the new stuff from the expansion.

Note: I havne't actually done that, once I got the expansion I've not gone back to the solo scenarios from the base game. So I'm not sure if that is actually easier than just sticking with the paragraph system.

Awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.