Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you forced to put a Replicant on the card every time you Modify (if you can), or can you choose not to? I'm playing solo, and it's clear that I cannot satisfy the success condition, so I don't want to waste the contaminant. It's also possible that I've already satisfied my 2 Replicants, and don't want to waste extras.

Also, I assume they go back into the stock at the end of the cycle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It says to do so if you are able, so to my reading it's a requirement. Also, considering it only takes 2 solo it should be easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also read it as mandatory (and yes, that is highly inconvenient).

At the end of the cycle, when you flip the countermeasure card over and resolve its succeed or fail effect, I believe it will tell you what to do with the contaminants on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Cactus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermoar wrote:
It says to do so if you are able, so to my reading it's a requirement. Also, considering it only takes 2 solo it should be easy.

I'm just starting out, but as Tilda solo, I haven't found it easy. It's a lot of Deception / Command to generate in order to Upload what's needed, perform the Modifications, ... and if the Hack Shack is not helping.

Having said that, it's making me think through a lot of options (and I need to read the rules again to make sure I'm playing it all correctly, of course).

Adrenaline Surge to the rescue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Cactus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CactusRose wrote:
Nevermoar wrote:

I'm just starting out, but as Tilda solo, I haven't found it easy. It's a lot of Deception / Command to generate in order to Upload what's needed, perform the Modifications, ... and if the Hack Shack is not helping.

Having said that, it's making me think through a lot of options (and I need to read the rules again to make sure I'm playing it all correctly, of course).

Adrenaline Surge to the rescue!

Yup, as expected. I was so eager to play that I missed a rule in my favor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem is that you need 2 yellow contaminants to get started, which is easier if a couple players can pool their resources. (Also easier if you play a yellow/purple character so that you start with one; I consider Hettie the strongest character due to her fast start.)

Playing solo as green/blue/red, that's 6 deception commands just for uploads, and then you want 2 more for a yellow modify (to replace the token you'll lose in the process), and 1 + X for any other modify.

That's 9 deception total (minimum).

The blue/green characters only start with 4 deception + 4 leadership in their entire deck, which isn't quite enough even if you use 100% of that leadership as deception.

It is probably still possible in most games by using the hack shack, but I could see it being pretty challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I do often do Hettie when I solo, so I suppose that's why I immediately made an assumption of ease on this countermeasure.

Antistone wrote:
The biggest problem is that you need 2 yellow contaminants to get started, which is easier if a couple players can pool their resources. (Also easier if you play a yellow/purple character so that you start with one; I consider Hettie the strongest character due to her fast start.)

Playing solo as green/blue/red, that's 6 deception commands just for uploads, and then you want 2 more for a yellow modify (to replace the token you'll lose in the process), and 1 + X for any other modify.

That's 9 deception total (minimum).

The blue/green characters only start with 4 deception + 4 leadership in their entire deck, which isn't quite enough even if you use 100% of that leadership as deception.

It is probably still possible in most games by using the hack shack, but I could see it being pretty challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo as Hettie, this countermeasure will probably reduce the number of Modify actions you perform in the first cycle. Significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd more say that it limits Hettie to only Modifying to create more replicants during the first cycle.

Antistone wrote:
Solo as Hettie, this countermeasure will probably reduce the number of Modify actions you perform in the first cycle. Significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermoar wrote:
I'd more say that it limits Hettie to only Modifying to create more replicants during the first cycle.

If that doesn't reduce the total number of Modify actions performed, then you don't Modify as much as I do.

Also, even if you only Modify to replicants, this countermeasure limits her to one Modify per turn unless she Uploads an extra replicant (because her ability can only be used once per turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I modify as much as my hand allows pretty much, but I'm also still trying to improve my game and don't even beat Alpha-Moby 100% of the time yet. Definitely have to upload a second replicant if able, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Against any other countermeasure, Hettie probably doesn't Upload any replicants, because she can get her second replicant by Modifying (using her starting replicant plus her character ability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Against any other countermeasure, Hettie probably doesn't Upload any replicants, because she can get her second replicant by Modifying (using her starting replicant plus her character ability).

Against any other countermeasure, Hettie probably doesn't Upload any replicants contaminants, because she can get her second replicant contaminants for free by Modifying (using her starting replicant plus her character ability).

I know I am exaggerating a bit, but you get my point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to do the theoretical maximum number of Modify actions and still have enough red/blue/green points leftover for an Upload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Chaves
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, I just meant for that countermeasure.

Antistone wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to solo the green hero last night, and ran into this countermeasure. It seemed stupidly hard and all but impossible, for all the math reasons that Jeremy posted. Has anyone beat it? What card in the Hack Shack makes doing it possible? Strategically, is it better to just plan to fail that goal and maximize efficiencies elsewhere?

Are other countermeasures similarly "broken"? I'm thinking maybe I should play this game double-fisted (it's easier to do 3+3+2+2+2+1 over two heroes, than 3+3+2+1 with one hero) if this sort of Gotcha! is going to be a common occurrence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.