23 Posts

Dragon Castle» Forums » General

Subject: Neoprene playmats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
Had the playmats scanned in then a buddy arranged them into a single file for Inked Gaming Playmats to print onto a 18" x 18" neoprene mat.

Then had to cut them apart.

Not perfect but better than those paper boards that'll wear out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
While it looks cool, I'm still waiting for the first pictures of worn out player mats, caused by slick and glossy chunks... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
Mine are already starting to wear on the corners of the boards from handling / putting them in and taking them out of the box etc. Not from the tiles.

Besides, the tiles slide around a bit on the glossy paper and don't on these.

.i didn't say it was required. It's simply something I chose to do and show people. Sure you could have the boards laminated but then they're even more glossy and you run the risk of bubbles.

If you don't like them, simply say so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Bravo! I think those look fantastic. This is what the game should come with imo. I would pay extra for it, or I would buy them as official add-ons from the site.

I'd love to do something like this but I'm not sure how to start. For starters, I don't have a way to scan the boards (no scanner, plus I'm still waiting to receive my copy of the game). I also don't have a cutter. If I had some high-quality scans of the boards, and if I could custom-order each of the 4 mats separately, pre-cut to the right size, I'd do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Nisses wrote:
While it looks cool, I'm still waiting for the first pictures of worn out player mats, caused by slick and glossy chunks... whistle

It's not sliding the tiles around that will wear them out. It's the constant handling - taking them out of the box and putting them back in. Same as any rules book. Some of those rules books are as big as the boxes themselves, and they tend to get crinkled pretty easily after removing them from the box dozens of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
I paid to have the files scanned in at correct size and color / resolution.

The cheapest route was suggested by the mat company because they don't have a single mat that is 7 1/4" square so even the individual mats would have had to been cut.

The neoprene is easier to cut than I was expecting.

I can give the file away for your personal use but I can't make these and sell them as I don't have the right to make a profit off the images.

Let me know if you want the file and mat company info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep. I would totally do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
echarlie wrote:
I paid to have the files scanned in at correct size and color / resolution.

The cheapest route was suggested by the mat company because they don't have a single mat that is 7 1/4" square so even the individual mats would have had to been cut.

The neoprene is easier to cut than I was expecting.

I can give the file away for your personal use but I can't make these and sell them as I don't have the right to make a profit off the images.

Let me know if you want the file and mat company info.

Yes, please. I would love the file you used, and if you could share with me the company and details you ordered from I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

What did you use to cut them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
PM sent.

By the way, did your neoprene mats turn out the same size as the originals once they were cut down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
Yes they are the correct size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks. My copy is scheduled to arrive today. I think the neoprene mat is the way to go. The image you posted looks like the printing is very crisp and vivid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
It is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Did you ever send that file for the neoprene printing? I never received it. I checked my spam folder just in case.

Also curious if you've thought of doing the same for the larger mats, since they're the same thickness as the smaller ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
Pretty positive I did send it.

I did have the big "open" board made in neoprene but not the 2/3/4 player prr-set boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible, I would love to get the same file and info for the company. I haven't purchased the game yet, but I would rather have the materials waiting before I purchase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
echarlie wrote:
Pretty positive I did send it.

I did have the big "open" board made in neoprene but not the 2/3/4 player prr-set boards.

I got it now, thanks. Which company did you use for printing? This would be the first time I've printed a neoprene mat and I'm not familiar with these companies.

I'd be interested in printing the large "open" board too if you're willing to share the file for that also. The great thing about the open side is that it will work for any player count, so that would make a great all-purpose mat. My boards arrived somewhat damaged so printing these mats would be a nice solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Newhoff

Kansas
msg tools
Unfortunately I seem to have lost the file for the large open board but it's easy enough to have them scanned in and isn't expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
echarlie wrote:
Unfortunately I seem to have lost the file for the large open board but it's easy enough to have them scanned in and isn't expensive.

Thanks - can I take that into an office supply store or something and have them scan it?

I'm terrible with sizing - that's the problem. Once I get it scanned I'm not sure how to figure out how to size it to print on what size material.

I see you had it printed from inkedgaming. Did they print the large mat for you too? What size did you print for the large board? Was it 18 x 18 ? Sorry for the questions.

They're doing a Memorial Day 20% sale so I'll order the small mats this weekend. I won't be able to get the larger board scanned in until later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I can't seem to find anyone local that can scan my large "open-side" board so hopefully if anybody in here manages to get theirs scanned they can share the image for printing. I'm also bad with image sizing.

The file requirements on inkedgaming's site for the 18x18 neoprene custom mat is:

- Make sure image size is 18.5" x 18.5". Approximately 1/4" around the sides of the image will be cut off. We need the extra size so the image bleeds to the whole mat. On our template there are helper guidelines already placed on the mat. Make sure in your editing program you have guides turned on to see them. (DO NOT add 1/4" solid color trim)

- A resolution of 2775 x 2775 @150 PPI is best
- Your image mode needs to be RGB.
- Save your image as a JPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Seriously considering these mats.
All the cardboard mats that came with my copy of the game warped almost as soon as I took them out of the box. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Lowden025 wrote:
Seriously considering these mats.
All the cardboard mats that came with my copy of the game warped almost as soon as I took them out of the box. shake

The included boards are garbage. Most of the boards in the set I received had deep gouges, scratches, scuffs, and some kind of glue-like residue splattered all over the boards. Some are dog-eared already, right out of the box. And they are very thin and feel like they came from a budget game.

I also had lots of issues with the tiles as mentioned in another thread, so the dealer I bought it from worked out a deal with me to send a replacement for a small fee and I could keep them both. I was just going through that set today, and had the same issues with the boards - gouges, scratches, scuffs, and some kind of glue-like residue splattered all over the boards. One board was actually bent where the deep gouge was. I haven't looked at the tiles yet - I'm not in the mood.

I had high hopes for this game but the quality of the components is very poor imo.

Unfortunately, I've already paid over $50 between the original and the replacement sets. So I don't really fancy spending more to print up mats at this point. I almost want to just give up on this, but it was meant to be a gift. It will cost around $25 just for the 4 small boards to be printed up on the 18x18 mat. For the larger board, that would double the price, and I don't even have a scan of the large board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a copy of the files please.

Also how much was it for you to get it printed?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Nobody ever posted a file to print the large main board on a neoprene mat. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.