Subject: Newbie new rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uri Bentlov
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I just don't get it. Please tell me: Can the Active Player gain the red rewards on his own ships? If not, the how do you reconcile the rules statement: "Deployed rewards may be gained if the card is deployed (tucked under the top part of your board)." Page 10, gray column)

Does this contradict what it says just below in the same column: "Red rwards can only be gain, and activations may only be used, during an opponent's turn, when you are a passive player." ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any power or reward in red can only be gained of an opponent's roll. Green can be on either and blue only on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr D1 wrote:
Maybe I just don't get it. Please tell me: Can the Active Player gain the red rewards on his own ships?

No. You have to be the passive player in order to gain the red rewards.

Quote:
If not, the how do you reconcile the rules statement: "Deployed rewards may be gained if the card is deployed (tucked under the top part of your board)." Page 10, gray column)

Does this contradict what it says just below in the same column: "Red rwards can only be gain, and activations may only be used, during an opponent's turn, when you are a passive player." ?

See page 7 of the rulebook bottom right column under the heading, STATION VS. DEPLOYED REWARDS. It says the following:

Quote:
As a general rule, cards on your board offer rewards during
your turn (as an active player) and cards deployed under
your board offer rewards during an opponent’s turn (when
you’re a passive player). Blue rewards can only be gained
during your turn and red rewards can only be gained during
an opponent’s turn (see example above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uri Bentlov
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rick and Gene for helping me understand the generally accepted rule for playing this game. That is indeed what players are doing in the videos, and I can accept that.
Would you agree with me that the rule book is less than helpful at times? For example under the heading On Your Turn (Active Player), there is no mention of taking rewards in the 4 steps. That info only appears in the grey box, where taking rewards is not directly connected to any of the four steps. One has to make the judgment that the grey box is a continuation of the text under the next major heading, "Allocate Dice," to put it all together. Grey boxes are usually examples and such. My mind is definitely not in sync with whoever wrote the rule book. I found myself asking, What is a charge? How do you get charge tokens? Why is a major part of game described under the heading, Additional Rules, after we have apparently reached the End of the Game? Gaahh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
i thought the rules were fine for the most part with minor details left out. im surprised by the number of questions.

what i want to know is: how is "newbie new" helpful for explaining what this thread is about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uri Bentlov
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I responded to mfl134, but the decided to review the link to community rules and when I cam back my reply was either:
1. Erased, or
2. Posted.
In the case of 1., I am not going to try to rewrite my response over again.
In the case of 2, my confusion on this point illustrates everything I wrote in the original reply.
To which I will only add that the community rules clearly state that we should go easy on newcomers. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is not the best. An example is the red arrow rewards. The book says that you gain the reward of the card adjacent to it (in whichever direction you choose). This wording works fine for the blue rewards because there is only one card adjacent to the arrow. When the ship is deployed and you gain the red arrow reward as a passive player, the book still refers to the singular "card" adjacent to the arrow. As the game progresses, there can be more than one card adjacent to the card with the red arrow. This leads to confusion because now which card are you referring to and what happens when more cards are stacked?

I played someone else's copy and that person taught me the rules. The actual rule with the red arrow is you gain the rewards for all cards (plural) in the adjacent sector. When I read the rulebook after getting the game, I became confused. The FAQ accurately explains this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr D1 wrote:
Well, I responded to mfl134, but the decided to review the link to community rules and when I cam back my reply was either:
1. Erased, or
2. Posted.
In the case of 2, my confusion on this point illustrates everything I wrote in the original reply.
To which I will only add that the community rules clearly state that we should go easy on newcomers. Thank you very much.

Sorry, I’m sure my comment came off harsher than intended.

The forums are more useful when the subject of posts explain what you can find. Otherwise the same questions just keep getting asked because nobody can find the answer. So I ask that you and everyone else reading this be part of the solution and write informative subjects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuntman wrote:
The rulebook is not the best. An example is the red arrow rewards. The book says that you gain the reward of the card adjacent to it (in whichever direction you choose). This wording works fine for the blue rewards because there is only one card adjacent to the arrow. When the ship is deployed and you gain the red arrow reward as a passive player, the book still refers to the singular "card" adjacent to the arrow. As the game progresses, there can be more than one card adjacent to the card with the red arrow. This leads to confusion because now which card are you referring to and what happens when more cards are stacked?

I played someone else's copy and that person taught me the rules. The actual rule with the red arrow is you gain the rewards for all cards (plural) in the adjacent sector. When I read the rulebook after getting the game, I became confused. The FAQ accurately explains this rule.

I think the main issue with the game is ambiguity of the abilities of some cards, such as red arrows. I wish all the flavor text had been sent explaining each ability, even if redundant. The general flow of the game seemed clear enough. I’m sure the whole thing probably could have been organized in a better way if time was spent to focus on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr D1 wrote:
1. Erased, or
2. Posted.

Descriptive thread subjects also help other newcomers. You can edit the title of the thread to make it helpful for someone else who may have similar questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference between Deployed Abilities and Red Abilities
here is the meaning of both statements:

Dr D1 wrote:
Maybe I just don't get it. Please tell me: Can the Active Player gain the red rewards on his own ships? If not, the how do you reconcile the rules statement: "Deployed rewards may be gained if the card is deployed (tucked under the top part of your board)." Page 10, gray column)

this is telling you that deployed rewards (the upside down part of the card) are only eligible to be rewarded when deployed.

Quote:

this is telling you that red rewards can only be gained on your opponents turns.

i dont see any contradiction at all. one tells you which abilities on a card are active (eligible for activation) and one tells you the window that you can use eligible red abilities

as noted at the bottom, the wording is so that the rules work for future expansions. later you could have a blue ability on the deployed section of a card. this would only be used when deployed.

basically "deployed" and "red" are separate concepts. they just happen to be identical in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uri Bentlov
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks mfl134, Your clarity of thought is most appreciated. Once you start down a path of erroneous deductions it becomes increasingly difficult to climb back to the light. But I think I got it. . .now.

Your posts on other threads have also been incredibly helpful. Thanks again.

Oh year, and I will try to be more informative in labeling new threads from now on. The title of this thread was (un)inspired by the one titled "newbie questions," or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.