Popular Tags: [View All]
DG
United States
Platteville
WI
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys
My copy of Tokaido is taking on an off white color. I keep it out of direct sunlight and have only lightly used it. Does anyone have a specific explanation for what’s going on and how to fix or stop it?

Thanks for any help,
DC Gaines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Box Taking On a Creme Color
If I were you I'd spend thousands of dollars to get air quality testing. Sounds like a serious problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OGBRAIN wrote:
Hey guys
My copy of Tokaido is taking on an off white color. I keep it out of direct sunlight and have only lightly used it. Does anyone have a specific explanation for what’s going on and how to fix or stop it?

Thanks for any help,
DC Gaines

How long have you had the game? My box has been on my shelf ever since it arrived from Kickstarter (the collector's edition) and I haven't had that problem, so it might be an air issue as another poster above guessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Brookville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps smoking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Smoking would be my first guess. Smoking turns everything in your house yellow. Seriously. That alone is reason to quit (if your health isn't reason enough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, what the hell. I don't got that long of a lifespan anyway...
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you live? Could be environmental.

I live in Houston. It's ALWAYS humid. As such, sometimes there's cardboard warping.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DG
United States
Platteville
WI
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I do not smoke, but I keep the game in the basement. I live in the Midwest, where humidity is not a problem through winter. Outside of that season, I try to keep a dehumidifier running. Recently, I can't use either of our dehumidifiers because both have been put on a recall list after being found to be fire hazards. The only other thing is dust and there is a litter box down there, but I haven't noticed anything like this with the other copies of my games. Also, I have had the game for roughly two years.

Thanks for your guys' help so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Odd. You said it's not in direct sunlight, so I have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hawthorne
United States
California
flag msg tools
My box is turning yellow too. Not a smoker or indirect sunlight either. It is odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Well this is worrying then. Ink can fade, chemicals can have reactions, and we have no idea what these companies use in their printing and manufacturing. We buy these expensive games hoping they will last a long time. If there's something in the "ingredients" of the box material or ink that is having a reaction which is leading to yellowing, this is a concern.

So far mine seem fine.

Anybody who has ever bought an old game from a thrift store knows white boxes and white plastic pieces can definitely yellow with age, but this is usually after many years or even decades of storage. This game is far too new to be yellowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Okay, I just purchased a copy of the 5th anniversary edition, to add some variety to the artwork. I was stunned to see the difference between the color of the box for my old copy vs the new one:

The lighting is poor and the camera is no better, but you can still see just how yellowed my older copy is. I don't think I have to point out which is the newer one. This is stored away from direct sunlight and is in a smoke-free apartment.

The board has exactly the same issue:

Now, I don't claim to have a photographic memory, so I can't recall with 100% certainty if my old copy always had that creme color or if it used to look like the new copy but yellowed over the course of a few years. But this is highly disturbing, especially since the board is also affected. Did the old board/box always have this yellowed/off-white color? Looking at the images section in here it's hard to tell as the color balance and lighting in the picture affects the whites. But it's clear in my images that the new box is pure white and the old box isn't.

I also compared it to the boxes I have for the Deluxe edition, and the expansions:

Note that I had the old edition the longest. I then ordered the expansions, and later the deluxe edition which was for Christmas not this past Christmas but the Christmas before that. I've had the original copy the longest and that is the most yellowed, but even the Deluxe edition which is only about a year-and-a-half-old is nowhere close to as white as the new 5th anniversary is. The expansions are almost as old as the base game and are almost as yellowed.

Can anyone add some thoughts to this situation? Can I count on my 5th anniversary edition to be yellowed in 2 years?

I live in the North-East part of the US so it's pretty humid during the summer and dry in the winter. Though I don't see how that would turn the box and the board yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls