Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After a long time of consideration (The Sands of Time ) I guess I finally comprehended the generation track and the way of scoring, but I'm not sure.

First, I'd say you roll the die after the second and third turn of a generation, not in. Then you advance the generation marker, if you rolled the required result. The fifth space of the generation track (x) puzzled me, it's utterly redundant, as there is a maximum of four turns.

Scoring takes place only after a generation and a dynasty ended, so scoring takes place three times during the game.

English rules: Check for End of Dynasty and Chronicle Card Scoring (at the end of a generation). So you check for the dynasty end and for scoring.
German rules (translated): Check for End of Dynasty and score Chronicle Cards (at the end of a generation). So you'd check for the dynasty end and then score the cards - which is wrong, as I think.

In my words:
A generation has two phases: resources, and two to four player turns.
After a generation ended, there are three more possible "phases" (better steps) and one more definite phase (step): The start of a new generation.
That's my way of understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya.

I think you roll for the end of a generation, which effectively is allowing you to refresh the cards you may use. It is much clearer in the English rules I think.

Scoring takes place when the chronicle cards are checked, i.e. at the end of a dynasty. A dynasty will feature a number of generations. Once the dynasty marker gets to the newly shaded part of the track, you have entered the next dynasty and you score then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it right.

Don't forget to advance both the dynasty marker and the generation marker after each generation.

We played SoT last evening and we used the X spot to put the generation marker on it when a generation ended in order to not forget to conduct the 4 "upkeep" steps :
- 4.3 Check for Population Growth
- 4.4 Check for Overcrowding
- 4.5 Check for End of Dynasty and Chronicle Card Scoring
- 4.6 Prepare for a New Generation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're basically interpreting it right but just to be sure let me restate how it works.

There are six phases, or "steps" if you prefer, to the generation.

1. Receive resources

2a. Everyone plan actions
2b. Resolve actions in turn order
2c. Advance both tracks, and roll the die. If it's < the number shown >= the number on the generation track, proceed to 3.

3. Pop. growth (sometimes)
4. Check for overcrowding
5. Check for dynasty end, and if so do scoring
6. Cleanup

The key is that with 2c, both markers move every time, before the die is rolled. That's why the final space has an "x", it's showing that, whatever the die result may be, the generation certainly must end after 4 turns.

(There used to be a special advance, "medicine", that some players had that let them add or subtract one to the die. So in some rare cases you could force a fifth turn. It was quite powerful!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwarrend wrote:
I think you're basically interpreting it right but just to be sure let me restate how it works.

There are six phases, or "steps" if you prefer, to the generation.

1. Receive resources

2a. Everyone plan actions
2b. Resolve actions in turn order
2c. Advance both tracks, and roll the die. If it's < the number shown >= the number on the generation track, proceed to 3.

3. Pop. growth (sometimes)
4. Check for overcrowding
5. Check for dynasty end, and if so do scoring
6. Cleanup

The key is that with 2c, both markers move every time, before the die is rolled. That's why the final space has an "x", it's showing that, whatever the die result may be, the generation certainly must end after 4 turns.

(There used to be a special advance, "medicine", that some players had that let them add or subtract one to the die. So in some rare cases you could force a fifth turn. It was quite powerful!)

Thanks for your comments, Jeff, and to everybody else of course!
So I got it right, great! Because "steps" 3 - 6 take place after the end of a generation, I like not to think of them as phases of a generation.
I'm aware of always moving the dynasty marker as well, that is clearly said in the rules.
Already thought of that "x" space as being for some expansion or promotion, a pity that "medicine" was obviously scrapped. My suggestion for a promo card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, thanks, good suggestion! I will say that I don't specifically plan to work on an expansion for the game, but in making the advances fit into the current construct -- specifically, "functions that can be expressed with icons" -- we did lose some interesting and fun powers like medicine.(*) I could see putting out a small promotional expansion with a couple of these as cards that you get during setup and that confer one of these fun benefits. We shall see.

(*) Some other favorites of mine include "slavery" (when you win a battle the enemy's casualties become citizens in your own color) and "embellishment" (you can score a chronicle if you meet the conditions of the next lower level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwarrend wrote:
Heh, thanks, good suggestion! I will say that I don't specifically plan to work on an expansion for the game, but in making the advances fit into the current construct -- specifically, "functions that can be expressed with icons" -- we did lose some interesting and fun powers like medicine.(*) I could see putting out a small promotional expansion with a couple of these as cards that you get during setup and that confer one of these fun benefits. We shall see.

(*) Some other favorites of mine include "slavery" (when you win a battle the enemy's casualties become citizens in your own color) and "embellishment" (you can score a chronicle if you meet the conditions of the next lower level).

Sounds good to me, so looking forward to a possible little "expansion" or promo! As you say: We shall see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Abad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear: Step 1 (receive resources) is only performed at the beginning of a generation, then. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules are explicit on this point. Once you've started taking turns, you're in Step 2, and you keep looping through the Step 2 rules until you roll equal or greater on the track, but you never go back to step 1.

This has the effect of making you sometimes root for long life for your ruler (perhaps because you selected an emphasis card and want to maximize its benefits) and sometimes wishing for an early demise (because the longer he/she lives, the greater the likelihood that you will run out of resources and need to use bonus actions, not to mention having to repeat actions to be productive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.