Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: MDF/Plywood insert and board game damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Magro
msg tools
Hi all, I recently gained access to laser cutter which is very exciting and was looking to build an insert for mansions of madness 2nd ed but I was wondering what is people's experience with these inserts and board game wear and tear? I'm just conscious that if the box itself is harder then the components then they may be damaged.

I'm mostly thinking about the large piles of gaming tiles used in the game. I'm hoping it's a non issue but thought I would reach out to the more experienced! If anyone has any recommendations for an insert that would be great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the components can really move about (the core job of most inserts) then you shouldn't be able to get up enough momentum to damage anything. However, I find that most components are stronger than the soft MDF used in wooden inserts. If you're really concerned. Or perhaps have painted miniatures you want to protect. You could always line certain parts of the insert with felt or some other cushioning material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Refvem
United States
Sonoma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a plywood insert for my copy of Mage Knight. Since the depth of the box us slightly greater than the thickness of the cards, the cards don't slide around much so I haven't seen any damage there. I have a big cavity where I put my bagged tokens, minis, and such. They are packed fairly tightly in the cavity and don't slosh aroumd much. Again, no problems.

My biggest fear was the porous cards sticking to the porous wood. Hasn't happened.

So from my experience (and packing method) plywood is a fine material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Any consideration needed for the chemicals in plywood? It's about half glue after all. Presumably it's safe and not likely to gas out, even in a hot car?

I know there's concerns about plywood with formaldehyde glue in RVs, but that's for people that live in them for extended periods of time. Don't know if the thin birchwood ply has the same adhesive in it.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Any consideration needed for the chemicals in plywood? It's about half glue after all. Presumably it's safe and not likely to gas out, even in a hot car?

I know there's concerns about plywood with formaldehyde glue in RVs, but that's for people that live in them for extended periods of time. Don't know if the thin birchwood ply has the same adhesive in it.

S.

Even if hobby wood had this issue, it'd only be an issue if you decide to live in the insert. Unless the game is Gloomhaven, I'm not sure that's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Magro
msg tools
The challenge is I guess making them easy to access and pack away (to avoid damage that way)while still ensuring there isn't enough room for them to move too much. Felt on the bottom may be a good idea, since the tiles are double sided i wouldn' want the face of the bottom tile to wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased wood inserts for three games. Most premade inserts fit sleeved cards so unsleeved cards can slide around a bit and I was worried the could cause excess wear. Sleeving cards adds bulk and reduces the amount of movement, and the cards are protected even if there is still some movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a particular reason you don't just want to use birch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Magro
msg tools
dpbush wrote:
Is there a particular reason you don't just want to use birch?

Well for me it's twice the price for 1mm vs 3mm, and would probably be prone to warpage. Im unfamiliar with it, is birch particularily good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.