Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played several decks and most annoy the heck out of me. But the few I'll play again and do are Jade/Orphiel, Dendron, The Hydra, Outlander. Well Outlander played him once but could again. Most others drive me nuts with their effects and are just a pain in the butt... Same with most Environments. Now Matt and his friends/brother who designed Cauldron I'm not saying they suck or anything I love most Cauldron Heroes and absolutely enjoy Jade because of her theme. I just really don't like most villains cuz they tend to curbstomp me regularly....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
My favorite Cauldron villain is Dendron, because I love how straigthforward and simple to play she is. Definitley the villain deck I've played the most. Dynamo is similarly easy to handle, which I also like.
But on the other hand, there are Mistress of Fate and Celadroch, who involve more bookkeeping but are so unique and awesome that I would recommend them to anybody.

I can definitley see where you're coming from though. Some of the villains tend to play lots of cards at once and have lots of little triggers to remember. There's more of a learning curve than with the official decks, but if you know what you're doing there's a lot of fun packed into these decks. Overall I would say I prefer the Cauldron villains over the official ones. Tosx definitley had the advantage to learn from some design mistakes that just happend naturally as GtG were not only crafting the specific decks but the game's system as a whole.

Tl, dr: All the Cauldron villains are fantastic. Take your time to learn them and you will have tons of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say.

I have had fun games with many of them and regularly get 'curbstomped'.

I don't enjoy The Ram or Anathema very much.

I have been stomped but really enjoy:
Celadroch (never beaten him)
Vector - lost twice, completely laughed when he changed the tide of a game we had well in hand the first time
Gray was a lost cause both times
Phase doesn't ever get hit when we play her - others think she is fairly easy

Potentially too much bookkeeping, but I have greatly enjoyed (and beaten):
Swarm Eater (both regular and promo)
Mistress of Fate

Fun and straightforward:
Dynamo (coming in season 4)

My group more often talks about the games we lost than the ones we have won. We excel at losing. Our multiverse is a place that rewards villainy.

In general we find that the Cauldron villains tend to be a bit harder than many of the base villains. Winning against them is a great reward.

The environments are mostly harder as well. My favorite is Halbred which helps you until you become complacent and then it stomps you into the dirt. I have never won at the Wandering Isle.
The more straight forward environments:
Cybersphere (this is the one I think tosx has said he uses frequently during play testing)
Coldwater Harbor
Nightlore Citadel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the new Chasm of 1001 Nights. Also the catacombs isn't terribly annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find, in general, Cauldron villains come down to "how much punishment are you willing to take"? Because I enjoy fighting the RAM, but he also has a card that can totally decimate the team's setup, not to mention dealing tons and tons of damage.

That said, my favorites are the easier villains: Phase, Menagerie, Vector for the uncertainty factor. I like the RAM, and I definitely like the new villains coming with Adrft. Tiamat's not too hard, especially if you have good AoE. (Her variant is another story...)

And Anathema's not too hard, but I don't particularly enjoy fighting him. Too much DR. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cauldron villains are, IMO, what official villains should be. Official villains tend to be boring, easy and/or unfair. Cauldron makes them much better (same with environments too) with a decent challenge and strategic approaches.

For Cauldron villain decks:

Dendron: Solid, target-heavy deck. Tends to be a rush damage battle which can be fun depending on the hero team.

Anathema: His vanilla deck is easy. Try his variant, wow! He is super tough and fun with his flip side where all his arms and heads come out.

Gray: Probably my favorite Cauldron villain right now. I’m 2-7 against him. His theme really comes out and he is super tough. Fun and strategic.

And that’s it so far. I’m saving the Cauldron villains because I think they are tough and balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.