Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a German fluent reader check the rules and help me out a little here. (I don't trust the English rules.)

German Rules Link, page 7

To start, I get that to Defeat a skeleton, I need to completely reduce its willpower in one round. But, Overcoming is something I am not fully sure about.

1. In order to Overcome (not Defeat) a skeleton, do I need to exceed its battle value in just one round of battle (but not enough to Defeat it)? Or is it when I take more than one round to completely reduce its willpower?

2. If it is the former (one round) then do you ever fight skeletons for more than one round? (except in the case where you tie or lose to the skelton's battle value)

3. If not, then why do the rules mention that skeletons only get 1 die when their willpower is less than 7? Is that only for other effects that might reduce their willpower, like the Fire Shield?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digging in the Andor forums, looks like some there had the same questions. Result for my above questions:

1. If you win, but not by enough to Defeat the skeletons, the battle is over, and they are Overcome.
2. Barring losses and ties, you would only battle the skeletons for one round.
3. The rules mention is (typically) only for other effects that might reduce the skeletons' willpower.

Whew.

http://legenden-von-andor.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2920

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wetzel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:

1. If you win, but not by enough to Defeat the skeletons, the battle is over, and they are Overcome.

Reducing a skeletons willpower (but not defeated) means they are overcome. You can continue to battle an overcome skeleton until they are defeated (if you wish).

boomtron wrote:
2. Barring losses and ties, you would only battle the skeletons for one round.

"Battle against skeletons works almost exactly the same as a battle against creatures" i.e. you can fight a skeleton as many times as you'd like (assuming you have not defeated it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, do you have a reference for that? Because that is not what any of the rules or the forum I linked to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
Thomas, do you have a reference for that? Because that is not what any of the rules or the forum I linked to say.

"Gewinnen die Helden eine KR gegen ein Skelett, ist der Kampf auch schon beendet. (Nicht umsonst steht die Möglichkeit des Überwindens vor der des Besiegens im Begleitheft)
Die Differenz der Kampfwerte entscheidet dann darüber, ob die Helden das Skelett besiegt oder überwunden haben:
Haben die Helden es geschafft, dem Skelett alle 9 WP abzunehmen, haben sie es besiegt (mit den entsprechenden Auswirkungen), ansonsten haben sie es überwunden und das Skelett wird sofort auf das Feld gelegt.
In keinem Fall gibt es eine zweite KR, in der das Skelett mit 7 WP und einem weißen Würfel weiterkämpft."

Some German help :-) I played skeletons last week, too. So my knowledge of the - original - rules should be fresh enough.

You battle the skeleton:
A) Heroes win by 9 or more
B) Heroes win by less than 9
C) Draw / Heroes lose

A) This is only possibility to BEAT/DEFEAT a skeleton.
B) You OVERCOME the skeleton. You CANNOT continue to fight. The fight is over.
C) You can/have to continue to fight (depending whether you want to continue to do anything else than fighting skeletons with that hero ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carsten! Confirmed what I gathered.

FWIW, this is how the English and google-translated rules read, I just didn't trust them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Andor is one of the rare cases where there are rule questions and Germans can answer them better than English natives as the game is originally German :-)

What do you think of Andor III in general?
(My order is II > I > III.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, especially after all of the mistranslation issues.

Hmm, I'm not too far into III, but here is where I currently rank them.

II > Star Shield > III > I

Looking forward to trying out the Dark Heroes this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still really like III, but it feels a bit more complex than it should be - with all the caves, 2nd abilities, skeletons, food, ...
II was/is almost a perfect game. A new mechanism (fame) and that's it. III is a bit too crowded with ideas. But still really, really good :-)

II > I > Star > III

The dark heroes are similar to the new heroes when it comes to fun and gameplay. Some of them are great, others just boring.
We never ever played that water ghost hero from the new heroes and decided to force us to take it once we want to increase the difficulty :-)

Hopefully, the bonus box will be available in English, too. There is some great content.

Did you download the soundtrack for Andor II yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did check out the soundtrack, but I dont think I got to use it during play yet.

Yes, I really hope Thames and Kosmos brings the bonus box over. [fingers crossed]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmb
lammyrock wrote:
boomtron wrote:

Reducing a skeletons willpower (but not defeated) means they are overcome. You can continue to battle an overcome skeleton until they are defeated (if you wish).
=> WRONG !!!.. you cannot do that, after 1 round, the sekeleton is either dominated or overcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmbmb
So if you fight a skeleton and either tie or lose, can you immediately fight another round in effort to overcome it, as when fighting other creatures? (And if so, can you still defeat it this turn?)

I've seen some folks say there is only 1 round of battle vs. skeletons, suggesting that if you don't overcome or defeat it during the first round, your turn is done and you have to wait until next turn to try again.

"Once the battle is over, it is the turn of the next hero". . .battle or battle round?

Just hoping for clarification here. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azrael67 wrote:
So if you fight a skeleton and either tie or lose, can you immediately fight another round in effort to overcome it, as when fighting other creatures? (And if so, can you still defeat it this turn?)

I've seen some folks say there is only 1 round of battle vs. skeletons, suggesting that if you don't overcome or defeat it during the first round, your turn is done and you have to wait until next turn to try again.

"Once the battle is over, it is the turn of the next hero". . .battle or battle round?

Just hoping for clarification here. Thanks.

Tie or lose?
You CAN fight another round, but you do not have to.

Defeat or overcome?
You can only defeat it by reducing its willpower to 0 in the first round of a battle.
If you did not DEFEAT it in the first round, but the skeleton lost willpower, you oveecome it.
So, if you have more strength than a skeleton in a single round, there is no next round!

Battle or battle round?
Battle! You can spend 7 to 10 hours just fighting a single skeleton with one or several hero(es) AS ONE ACTION - if you want to.
Or, you fight one hour and go to the next hero.

Edit: updated 3rd point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.