Hide
9 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Clear bases and magnets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Magro
msg tools
Like many im looking at rebasing my miniatures to clear acrylic. I want to magnetise the bases for transportation, does anyone have any experience doing this with clear bases? What sort of process did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have never heard of a material which is magnetic, or which attracts magnets which is also transparent.

Anything you do to magnetize the bases will make then no longer clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could, of course, have a small magnet embeded in the middle of the clear base... don't think I've seen it done anywhere though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion, Gawain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drill a hole for something like a 3/16 inch rare earth magnet under where the model’s contact point is glued to the base. You won’t see it and the base stays clear.

Personally, my models are on clear bases, painted pretty nicely, and rattling around in a Plano-type box. I sealed them with a few coats of clear varnish (glossy then testors dull oat). They’ve been dropped from a 3 foot table and had no paint chip or pieces break off. I would not recommend investing time and money into magnetizing, but whatever floats your boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Magro
msg tools
Well i was considering either drilling them into the peg or replacing the peg completely and potentially pinning them with longer magnetic rods if the model was large enough. Not really familiar with size vs strengths though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I've glued hundreds of models to clear acrylic bases using #33 acrylic cement, and have them rattling around inside the boxes in compartments, and I've never had them fall off of the base. I don't use the pegs, just cut the bottom of the model flush and glue them on.

I also spray clear laquer before gluing to the base, and I haven't had any issues with paint chipping off.

If you do decide to do clear acrylic with magnets, be careful when drilling them, as the acrylic (at least the stuff from Litko) will crack and break pretty easily when trying to drill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Donovan
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Keep it cool, keep it casual...
badge
Plays well with others.
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
I've glued hundreds of models to clear acrylic bases using #33 acrylic cement, and have them rattling around inside the boxes in compartments, and I've never had them fall off of the base. I don't use the pegs, just cut the bottom of the model flush and glue them on.

Do you have a secret for getting them to stay on? I use #33 and Litko clear acrylic, but I usually have to rebase at least one model after traveling (I put them in foam cases) and sometimes they'll pop off the base if dropped. Generally it's thralls, witches, and other stand-on-their-toes types, but I just had to rebase Diana a few minutes ago. XD

It doesn't stop me taking them places, but I tend to bring glue and extra bases with me JIC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to mention that it should be possible to get acrylic bases with holes for magnets. I buy mdf bases from Warbases with holes. The standard acrylic bases they offer do not come with holes, but they offer to do different sizes so they would probably also do them with holes if asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.