(which base game should i buy first?)...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meisteria
msg tools
Purely preference, really.
Buy the one with the heroes and monsters you like the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really are asking the Coke or Pepsi question. Ginger or Mary Ann, MCDonald's or Burger King etc. One really isn't better than the other, yet we all have opinions. I prefer City of Ancients but as previously stated, choose the one with heroes and monsters that appeal to you most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Swamps of Death's characters a lot better and the Harbinger model is cooler than the goliath one, but as mentioned, this is all just preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgomeister wrote:

aren't they all basically "western themed"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Burgomeister wrote:

aren't they all basically "western themed"?

Yes, but there are different classes that give different flavor to the game.

Swamps of Death has a Rancher, Indian Scout, Preacher, and Lawman. City of the Ancients has a Saloon Girl, US Marshal, Gunslinger, and Bandido.

The Other Worlds give you the biggest variance, with the encounters being thematically appropriate to either a hot, muggy swamp or a frozen technological wasteland. The gear you find in Jargono (Swamps) tends to be more tribal in nature, and much of it is intended for melee characters, while the Targa (City) gear is more tech focused, and much of it is intended for ranged characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I went with Swamps because I preferred the monsters (ie. no spiders - spiders are in CotA). However my friends are rather partial to a good ol' shootout so I kind of wish I had the gunslinger hero with their special six-shooter template, which you get with Ancients, instead of the Preacher. On the other hand I also prefer the Swamps world as opposed to Targa Plateau.

So like others have said, it's down to preference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Swamps for the cooler final boss and characters. Although you really can't go wrong either way. They both share the exact same 6 missions plus a unique set of 6 additional missions (each box has 12 missions).

For me the preacher and indian are too cool not to include in a posse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.