Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Galileo
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: you can now find a compilation of all my updated content here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/164726/galileos-new-islan...
The files include a PDF with rules and ready to print images, alongside a zip file with high resolution images for all my custom Islands and Houses.

Hi Everyone!

Today I want to share 2 of my new custom houses, the Fishing dock and the blacksmith.

First, let’s see the dock:

Fishing Dock

Action required: 1 Viking (Build “Shed”) action
Number of Docks available in a game: 3

Rules:
- Anytime an action or a profession card refers to a “shed” or a house in general that includes “sheds”, it does affect, include and could be replaced by the words “Fishing docks”.
- The fishing docks allow a player to effectively own more than three whaling boats.
- You can freely move whaling boats between your homeboard and your fishing docks.
Note that when using the 3 Viking whaling action you can use either boats from your homeboard and/or from your fishing docks in any combination, but you can’t use more than three boats at the same time. (The -6 maximum bonus to the dice-roll from 3 fully loaded whaling boats still apply)

The idea for the fishing docks was to create a small and cheap house (1 Viking actions) that had a small but tasty bonus, and sacrificed some positive points when compared to the basic shed instead.

On the other hand, I really wanted to make something with water, so I included an extra space for a Whaling boat that has to be covered up in order to avoid a -2 point penalty at the end of the game. This gives players an incentive to acquire multiple whaling boats if they get multiple Fishing Docks during the same game other than to just increase their whaling chances.
Now to the Blacksmith:

Blacksmith

Action required: 3 Viking (Build “Longhouse”) or 4 Viking (Build “Longhouse + Knarr”) action
Number of Blacksmiths available in a game: 2

Rules:
- Anytime an action or a profession card refers to a “longhouse” or a house in general that includes “longhouse”, it does affect, include and could be replaced by the word “Blackshmith”.
- You can only fill the isolated -2 spaces with one ore each, coins aren’t allowed

When I made the blacksmith I knew I wanted it to have two things for thematic reasons: 1) It had to give some kind of refined metal (blue tile) + weapon card bonus, and 2) it had to have spots where ore had to be stored in order to cover negative points. But in order to maintain the basic rules of in-house tile placement (Allowing red and orange but NO ore) I copied the wood and stone placement rules from the Shed and Stonehouse but applied it to ore, forcing players to cover them up ONLY with ore. As I already had done the animal sheds (which are an alternative to Stone-houses) I thought it would be logical to make the Blacksmith an alternative to Longhouses, giving it a bit less positive points do to its blue bonus tile and little bit smaller size.

I am going to print these houses out tomorrow and try them out for the first time, so please forgive me if any of them turn out to be too overpowered or too weak in its current state.

Please also forgive my precarious editing for all the art on these houses, as my base-material and more importantly my recently self-taught Photoshop skills are VERY limited.

Feel free to print, use and change anything you would like on these and make any comments about what you like, dislike or would want to change about these houses.
I am also including a poll for what you guys would like me to do next.
If you have a better idea you think I should do first then please comment it on this thread!

Poll
Which new custom house would you like to be made sooner?
Coin-mint: Gives potential 1 or 2 income.
Mine: Small house that can give a Stone/ore bonus.
Flax Plantation: Cheap House that produces Flax.
Apple Plantation: Gives fruit-tile bonus.
Smoke House: Gives Smoked Meat Bonus, has wood requirement.
Baker’s Store house: Gives Grain bonus.
Other: Please leave a comment with your idea!
      26 answers
Poll created by feimbcke

Thanks to the AFFO community for your support,

Greetings,
Galileo

Link to smokehouse, bakers storehouse and fruit orchard houses thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1999813/new-houses-smoke-ho...://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1999813/new-houses-smoke-house-bakers-storehouse-and-fruit
Link to the Animal sheds thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1992261/new-houses-animal-s...
Link to "Scariff and Deenish" custom island thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1983507/new-island-scariff-...
Link to "Svalbard" custom Island thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1984833/new-island-svalbard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilborson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Houses: Fishing Docks and Blacksmith
These are so thematically pleasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galileo
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Houses: Fishing Docks and Blacksmith
Platonick wrote:
These are so thematically pleasing.

Thank you! One thing I love the most about AFFO is that it is so wide from a mechanical point of view that there's a lot of different things that can be done to explore the viking theme just by combing elements from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sweeney
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A smoke house would be a great addition. Thematically won’t vikings or anyone from that time period, after they got food want to preserve it for leaner times? Mining etc would come after food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galileo
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uksweeney wrote:
A smoke house would be a great addition. Thematically won’t vikings or anyone from that time period, after they got food want to preserve it for leaner times? Mining etc would come after food?

You are probably right! For inspiration I have used some of the Viking buildings shown here:

http://www.fotevikensmuseum.se/d/en/museet/husen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
These are awesome! They look just as if they were a missing part of the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are just amazing. We like to slowly add new things to our games, so it might be a bit, but these are very tempting to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galileo
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
These are awesome! They look just as if they were a missing part of the actual game.

JoeAubrey wrote:
These are just amazing. We like to slowly add new things to our games, so it might be a bit, but these are very tempting to try out.

Thank you both! It makes me very happy to know that other people will be enjoying my content as well! Please share your experience on the forum if you get to use any of the new houses or islands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galileo
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a little longer than I had planned but I finally printed the new houses out and put them on cardboard. Still haven't laminated though.
I’m going to try to get them on the table tomorrow, I’ll tell you how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Rathke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Galileo,

You've done an awesome Job here. I really like your Fan-Expansion.
I've tested the new Islands and the Stables last Weekend.
Now i have to print the Fishers Shed and the Blacksmith to test them.

And I can understand why you took Foteviken as an Inspiration.
Its an really cool Museum, I've visited it several times.

Thanks for your Work.
Regards
Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galileo
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoktorTroll wrote:
Hey Galileo,

You've done an awesome Job here. I really like your Fan-Expansion.
I've tested the new Islands and the Stables last Weekend.
Now i have to print the Fishers Shed and the Blacksmith to test them.

And I can understand why you took Foteviken as an Inspiration.
Its an really cool Museum, I've visited it several times.

Thanks for your Work.
Regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

Glad you liked my custom Islands and houses! It's truly gratifying to know that people are using them in their games!
It’s so cool that you have been to the museum, I have never been to Sweden but I would love to go someday.

I finally printed and laminated the houses myself, and got to try them out today with my girlfriend.

The game was super fun, I went for a heavy housing strategy as I wanted to try them out. I especially enjoyed the fishing docks as they were very easy to fill up and fish is obviously very useful for filling houses and feasting. It also made whaling even more valuable as my whaling ships where covering those pesky -2s.
The blacksmith was OK, not too overpowered nor did it seem too weak compared to the Longhouse. The silverware bonus is very versatile and getting it early on feels pretty good.

My girlfriend on the other hand got to try out the cowshed, even though it was more of an afterthought and she got it by round 4, she did manage to get the 1 cow a turn breeding on and managed to convert them all (but one) to fill up her homeboard negative points by the end of the game.
At the end I did get a little too greedy and instead of focusing on filling my homeboard I went for a last round Longhouse + ship and emigration, which led to my highest total negative point score of all time.

I ended up winning with 162 – 38 = 124 points against my girlfriends 120 – 2 = 118 points.

The bigger number of building options felt awesome, especially having something useful to grab in the early game with the one Viking build action is something I think was badly needed, because in our games the normal shed would be only built as a last minute action to dump remaining wood and stone in it.

None of the new houses felt overpowered or out of place so that makes me very glad! I’d love to see how the competition behaves in a 3 or 4 player game when you have only a limited number of each house, and I think it will add another layer of strategy to this already awesome game. Another thing I want to try out next time is to focus heavily for either sheep or cow breeding with the sheds + one island that gives animal bonuses. (Orkney, Scariff and Deenish or even try to make Feroe Island work).

Next weekend I’ll try to work on the most requested houses in the poll!
Until then, I hope everyone enjoys the custom houses, and please keep the suggestions coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The bakery would be a good one to do next, as there's no grain bonus currently in the game. Together with the smokehouse it would also help out the Tanner profession. (in the starting A-deck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galileo
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your words have been heard!

Here's the link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1999813/new-houses-smoke-ho...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.