5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Private GeekList viewing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Is there any way to allow someone to visit/view a private GL? I tried sending a link for one I have to another user, but it was not viewable. Is there a way to get around this issue, or do I have to take it off "private?" I was thinking that since I am allowing this user to access the GL, that it would be possible, but maybe not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm pretty sure if it's "private", that really means the list is only visible by the account that created it, but here -- let's test with one of mine:

Gambiteer's 2018 Thrift Store & Bargain Finds v 2.01 (thru 07 July)

I'll change that back later, but for now I've set it to "private", so if you are signed in and can't view it, we'll know for sure.

I do know that you can leave a list in "unsubmitted" status and share the direct link for other members to see, even though it won't show up if they view your personal geeklist page, so that can be a workaround if you want to have a geeklist that can only be viewed by folks who have the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Gambiteer wrote:

I'm pretty sure if it's "private", that really means the list is only visible by the account that created it, but here -- let's test with one of mine:

Gambiteer's 2018 Thrift Store & Bargain Finds v 2.01 (thru 07 July)

I'll change that back later, but for now I've set it to "private", so if you are signed in and can't view it, we'll know for sure.

I do know that you can leave a list in "unsubmitted" status and share the direct link for other members to see, even though it won't show up if they view your personal geeklist page, so that can be a workaround if you want to have a geeklist that can only be viewed by folks who have the link.

Yeah, it "doesn't exist." Just like the other user told me about mine. Oh well, I figured as much, but I was hoping for a way around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Private", with box checked, is limited to that user.

There's also the option to publish, but not on front page (check box) so most people won't notice it (but subscriptions might bring them there).

There's also an unpublished list (don't hit submit list), can be seen/commented on, subscriptions won't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, it was worth a try; I've changed my list back now.

Just checking, do you know that you can make a list that is technically "public", but can't be changed or added to? One of mine is set up that way, since I really don't mind at all if anyone else reads it, I just don't want any changes to it except those that I make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.