Subject: Early Party rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Hampton

Santa Ana
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my friends and I are playing a 4 player campaign and we just unlocked the Cthulhu as our first new class, unfortunately it replaced our Brute, leaving us tankless. I'm wondering if this will be an issue or if we just need to suck it up and try to get through a few missions. Currently we have the lvl 2 Cthulhu, lvl 4 spellweaver, lvl 1 mindthief (on verg of 2) and I'm playing a lvl 3 Scoundrel (verg of 4). I'm guessing after I lvl next mission I'll become our damage- taker by default, I'm just worried about having so many squishies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wygal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group is about as far as yours. We are playing without a Brute and haven't really had a problem. (We have a Scoundrel, Cragheart, Mindthief and Spellweaver, all level 3.) We generally try to avoid being hit, rather than have someone try to tank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it, our starting characters were Scoundrel and Spellweaver mainly, with either a Mindthief or Tinkerer joining in as the 3rd player sometimes. It was fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
My group played for about a dozen scenarios without a tank. We started off with Cragheart (playing ranged), Spellweaver, Tinkerer, and Mindthief. It worked great for us.

A tank is not necessary, although it means that everyone has to pay attention to where they are standing so that they don't get the entire room focusing on them.

With a Cthulu in your party, you'll take a lot less damage. With a mindthief in your party, you'll take less damage, too.

The Spellweaver can't really do much damage prevention until she reaches level 3, but having a Mindthief in the party will be a huge help at that point. The Scoundrel can't really do damage prevention.

So it'll mostly be up to your Mindthief and Cthulu to do stuns, immobilizes, and disarms, and hopefully the Spellweaver took Cold Fire at level 3 to help out. If so, you'll have some fantastic damage mitigation skills in your party.

The first room of the scenario will be a big challenge for you because the Cthulu won't have filled the monster attack deck with 8ish curses yet, and you guys won't have anywhere to run away to for getting out of range of the monsters. It might be worth it to burn Wretched Swarm (cthulu card) on the first turn of the scenario a lot of the time.

Paralyzing Bite (Cthulu), Grasping Vermin (Cthulu), Perverse Edge (Mindthief), Frigid Apparition (Mindthief), Hostile Takeover (Mindthief level 2 ability), and Cold Fire (Spellweaver level 3 ability) will be some of what you'll want to use if you want to avoid burning a loss card like Wretched Swarm right away. Note: the Mindthief will need to coordinate with the Spellweaver to produce ice (with Perverse Edge or Hostile Takeover) for the Spellweaver's Cold Fire. When the Spellweaver is not using the ice, the Mindthief can use it for Frigid Apparition.

Once you get through the first room, though, the scenario will be a breeze.

Make sure that the Mindthief and Scoundrel know how to alternate their advantage to avoid being in melee range of the enemies when the enemies are playing their turns (unless the enemies are stunned/disarmed). Melee characters playing very late initiative one turn followed by very early initiative the next turn is an essential skill to surviving without a tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hampton

Santa Ana
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess I was thinking the Cragheart was more tankish. Anyway, played a few games, and things did work out pretty well, the Mindthief and I just made sure to include more healing than we usually did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
backslash0 wrote:
I guess I was thinking the Cragheart was more tankish. Anyway, played a few games, and things did work out pretty well, the Mindthief and I just made sure to include more healing than we usually did.

The Cragheart can be more tankish. It depends on how it is played. Our Cragheart played much more ranged than melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

The first room of the scenario will be a big challenge for you because the Cthulu won't have filled the monster attack deck with 8ish curses yet,

How the heck is a level 2 Chthulu in this party ever filling the monster attack deck with 8 curses? The guy has two Attack 3 Curse cards, each targeting one enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
kleep wrote:
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

The first room of the scenario will be a big challenge for you because the Cthulu won't have filled the monster attack deck with 8ish curses yet,

How the heck is a level 2 Chthulu in this party ever filling the monster attack deck with 8 curses? The guy has two Attack 3 Curse cards, each targeting one enemy.

Three times through your hand = 6 curses added
Stamina potion on the curse cards = 2 more curses added
6+2=8

Even at level 2, 8ish curses in the monster attack deck by the end of the scenario is a reasonable possibility.

Obviously, the Cthulu isn't staying level 2 forever, and there's a good chance he'll pick up the curse cards at levels 3 and 4, and maybe even add the perk for curses. By level 4, he might even have 6 curses in the enemy deck at the end of turn 3 (the Cthulu in my party has done that at level 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

Even at level 2, 8ish curses in the monster attack deck by the end of the scenario is a reasonable possibility.

Obviously, the Cthulu isn't staying level 2 forever, and there's a good chance he'll pick up the curse cards at levels 3 and 4, and maybe even add the perk for curses. By level 4, he might even have 6 curses in the enemy deck at the end of turn 3 (the Cthulu in my party has done that at level 4).

I'm kind of hoping that the curses I put in the monster deck get taken out of the monster deck as the monster draws them. I thought you were meaning that at some point in the scenario, there were still 8 curse cards in the monster deck, in addition to the curses the monsters had already drawn.

So 6 curses in the deck at turn three. Does that require an item? I can think of a useful one (not available at prosperity 1 or 2) that could help achieve this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
kleep wrote:
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

I'm kind of hoping that the curses I put in the monster deck get taken out of the monster deck as the monster draws them. I thought you were meaning that at some point in the scenario, there were still 8 curse cards in the monster deck, in addition to the curses the monsters had already drawn.

So 6 curses in the deck at turn three. Does that require an item? I can think of a useful one (not available at prosperity 1 or 2) that could help achieve this.

By 8ish, I mean approximately 8, not exactly 8. With bad luck at shuffling the monster deck and being at level 2 it can still be 8. If it's 1 or 2 less, I still consider that to be 8ish. Once he's at level 4, 8ish will be accurate even with reasonable luck at having the enemy draw curses (if he chooses the curse build).

It didn't require an item to get 6 curses in the enemy deck at turn 3. Our guy used his 75 starting gold to put an extra curse on one of his level 1 cards, so that one does 2 curses on a single target. He also did his attack that puts curses on 2 targets, and an attack that puts a curse on a single target, but he drew a rolling curse card on that attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

It didn't require an item to get 6 curses in the enemy deck at turn 3. Our guy used his 75 starting gold to put an extra curse on one of his level 1 cards, so that one does 2 curses on a single target. He also did his attack that puts curses on 2 targets, and an attack that puts a curse on a single target, but he drew a rolling curse card on that attack.

So he made one of the Attack 3 Curse cards into Attack 3 Curse Curse. Excellent idea. But what is the Level 1 or 2 card (unenhanced) that puts curses on 2 targets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
kleep wrote:
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

So he made one of the Attack 3 Curse cards into Attack 3 Curse Curse. Excellent idea. But what is the Level 1 or 2 card (unenhanced) that puts curses on 2 targets?

The Cthulu in my party started off at level 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
kleep wrote:
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

Ooops, I misread the part of the message where you were talking about a Level 4 Chthulu. Sorry, my bad. I'm right now playing Chthulu at Level 3 and was hoping to learn how to get 6 Curses into the deck by turn 3. I'll have to wait to achieve that. We don't even have the Power of Enchantment yet (second runthrough). There is an item that would let us do it; my party nicknames this item the Holy Hand Grenade. But my party does not presently have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
kleep wrote:
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
kleep wrote:
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

Ooops, I misread the part of the message where you were talking about a Level 4 Chthulu. Sorry, my bad. I'm right now playing Chthulu at Level 3 and was hoping to learn how to get 6 Curses into the deck by turn 3. I'll have to wait to achieve that. We don't even have the Power of Enchantment yet (second runthrough). There is an item that would let us do it; my party nicknames this item the Holy Hand Grenade. But my party does not presently have it.

It is possible to put 6 curses in the enemy deck in 3 turns at level 3 without an enhancement or item, but it requires some crazy luck.

If you draw both rolling curse cards during the first 2 turns, followed by a crit or a null on the 2nd turn (letting you reshuffle the rolling curses back in), and then draw a 3rd rolling curse card again on turn 3, then you can do it while using your two attack 3 curse level 1 cards and your attack 4 curse level 3 card.

The add two rolling curses perk for the Cthulu is pretty nice, especially since later you'll be adding some more great rolling cards to your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.