Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a new baby. we refer to this as the "superhero pose"

We decided her superhero name is "The Cuteness" and her superpower is to look so cute that criminals would just see her and give up.

This is my first attempt at a custom deck, in honor of our Cuteness. This is a Work In Progress, so before I continued, I wanted to run it by the community to see if there are any glaring errors.

I have two goals in mind here. The first is that the Cuteness shuts down the villain, either by limiting/preventing damage, or stopping card draws. This is because the villain is too busy looking at how cute she is.

The other is that the other heroes need to make some sacrifices to "take care of the baby" but get significant rewards for doing so. I would love a way to get "Protective Instinct" out before the first villain turn but can't think of a good way to do so.

The Cuteness
10 HP

Base Power: adorableness
One non-hero target deals itself 1 irreducable psychic damage

Incapacitated:
- one player may retrieve an ongoing or equipment card from the trash
- each player may regain 1 HP
- one player may redirect the next damage they take to any other target

One-Shot (Qty: 21)
--------------
Captivating Smile (Qty: 3)
- Villain cards cannot be played until the start of your next turn

Lulluby (Qty: 2)
- Discard X number of cards. X number of other heroes can use a power now. Return any Baby cards discarded this way to your hand. Immediately end your turn.

Playtime (Qty: 2)
- reveal the top x cards of any deck where x is the number of baby cards in play. Place any number of cards back on the top and the rest on the bottom in any order you like

Crying fit (Qty: 2)
- Destroy all baby cards in play. The Cuteness deals 1 target X sonic damage and x psychic damage where X is the number of cards destroyed this way

Tummy Time (Qty: 3)
- You May Draw a Card. Search your deck for a baby card and put it in play. You May play a card

Hunger Cry (Qty: 3)
- The Cuteness deals each non-hero target 1 sonic damage and each hero target 0 sonic damage

Goo Goo Eyes (Qty: 2)
- Villian targets cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn

Coo (Qty: 2)
- Each other hero target may discard any number of cards and regain X HP where X is the number of total number of cards discarded this way

Peek-a-boo (Qty: 2)
- Place an ongoing card on the bottom of its deck. You may place another ongoing card on top of its deck

Ongoing (Qty: 1)
---------------
Protective Instinct (Qty: 1)
- When the Cuteness would be dealt damage, you may redirect that damage to any other hero target. Place this card next to a hero character card dealt damage this way. The character next to this card, on their turn can play an additional card or use an additional power. When this card would be destroyed, put it in play instead.

Ongoing, Limited, Baby (Qty: 5)
---------------
Peacefully Sleeping (Qty: 2)
Place this card next to another hero character card. The hero next to this card cannot use powers.
- At the end of your turn retrieve up to 3 Baby cards from your trash and put them in your hand. Each other hero may retrieve x ongoing or equipment cards from their trash and put it into their hand where x is the number of baby cards in play. At the start of your turn, The Cuteness either deals the hero next to this card 1 irreducable psychic damage or destroys this card.

Projectile vomit (Qty: 3)
Power: The Cuteness deals herself 1 irreducable toxic damage and deals 1 other target 3 irreducable toxic damage. Reduce damage dealt by a target damaged this way by 1 until the start of your next turn

Equipment (Qty: 6)
-------------------
Bottle (Qty: 3)
place this card next to any other hero character card. That hero gains the following power.
Power: Discard X cards where x is the number of baby cards in play. If you do, The Cuteness regains full health and you regains X-1 HP. Destroy this card

Pacifier (Qty: 3)
Power: The Cuteness deals one non-hero target 1 irreducable psychic damage. A target dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn

Equipment, Limited (Qty: 3)
-------------------
Diaper (Qty: 3)
at the start of your turn, The Cuteness deals each non-hero target 1 toxic damage and each other hero target 0 toxic damage
One other hero may discard a card. If they do, destroy this card.

Equipment, Limited, Baby (Qty: 4)
-------------------
Changing Table (Qty: 2)
Place this card next to another hero character card. The hero next to this card cannot play cards during their play card phase.
- At the start of your turn, one hero may draw x cards then discard X-2 cards where X is the number of baby cards in play. At start of the hero next to this card's turn, The Cuteness deals that hero 1 irreducable psychic damage or destroys this card.

The Crib (Qty: 2)
HP: 5
Place this card next to another hero character card. Reduce the damage dealt by the character next to this card by 1.
Reduce damage dealt to hero targets by 1. You may redirect any damage directed at the Cuteness to this card instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the new kiddo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This is pretty adorable. Good flavour matching too! I like projectile vomit and Peek a Boo especially (where has the ongoing gone? Who knows?)

Design wise... there's a lot going on One that strikes me most is Pacifier is probably a bit broken (Hi Progeny. Remember dealing damage, ever? No? Me either) and Diaper seems a bit odd in that your fellow heroes can clean it up, but they have no particular reason to (it's generally a positive). Maybe if it had a strong enters play (maybe 2 projectile + 2 toxic) and then at the end of turn deals everyone 1 toxic unless someone discards a card to clean it up. That way it is worth using by itself, and also worth cleaning up as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
This is pretty adorable. Good flavour matching too! I like projectile vomit and Peek a Boo especially (where has the ongoing gone? Who knows?)

Design wise... there's a lot going on One that strikes me most is Pacifier is probably a bit broken (Hi Progeny. Remember dealing damage, ever? No? Me either) and Diaper seems a bit odd in that your fellow heroes can clean it up, but they have no particular reason to (it's generally a positive). Maybe if it had a strong enters play (maybe 2 projectile + 2 toxic) and then at the end of turn deals everyone 1 toxic unless someone discards a card to clean it up. That way it is worth using by itself, and also worth cleaning up as well.

ooo... just the person I was hoping would comment so, thank you for looking.

I like your ideas for diaper. would this be better:
at the start of your turn, The Cuteness deals one target 1 projectile damage and 3 toxic damage.
At the end of your turn, one player may discard a card. If they do, destroy this card otherwise the Cuteness deals all targets 1 toxic damage.

Pacifier preventing damage dealing is a main part of my concept and I'm reluctant to change it. However... pacifiers tend to get lost, so...

Power: The Cuteness deals one non-hero target 1 irreducable psychic damage. A target dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn. Destroy this card.

so it can't be abused for the entire game.

I don't have all the official sets, so I'm not aware if there is any precedent for a hero with a particular set-up such as "at the start of the game search your deck for Card X and put it into play. shuffle your deck."because I would really love to do that with Protective Instinct. Otherwise, I would change Tummy Time to
- You May Draw a Card. Search your deck for Protective Instinct and put it in play. You May play a card. Shuffle your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
There's no precent for having a card already in play (for heroes at least), but if you want it to be THAT core to the deck, maybe the innate power could search for it? Works for Writhe's Shadow Cloak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
One non-hero target deals itself 1 irreducible psychic damage

Awww gratz.

DragonsDream wrote:
Incapacitated:
- one player may retrieve an ongoing or equipment card from the trash
- each player may regain 1 HP
- one player may redirect the next damage they take to any other target

Wording on some of the incaps
One play may move an ongoing or equipment card from their trash to their hand.
Each Hero regains 1HP
Choose a target, the next time that target would be dealt damage redirect it to another target.

DragonsDream wrote:
One-Shot

Usually there’s a cost to this sort of effect as it’s very strong. Legacy takes damage and Nightmist discards 2 cards, for example.

DragonsDream wrote:
Lullaby (Qty: 2)
One Shot
- Discard X number of cards. X number of other heroes can use a power now. Return any Baby cards discarded this way to your hand. Immediately end your turn.

Discard any number of cards. X heroes other than Cuteness may use a power now where X is the number of cards discarded this way. Return any Baby cards discarded this way to your hand then immediately end your turn.

DragonsDream wrote:
One Shot
- reveal the top x cards of any deck where x is the number of baby cards in play. Place any number of cards back on the top and the rest on the bottom in any order you like

Choose a deck and reveal the top X cards of that deck where X is the number of baby cards in play. Each card may be returned to the top or bottom of it’s deck in any order.

DragonsDream wrote:
One Shot
- You May Draw a Card. Search your deck for a baby card and put it in play. You May play a card

Search your deck for a baby card and put it into play, shuffle your deck.

DragonsDream wrote:
One Shot
- Villain targets cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn

Again this card should probably have a cost for no villains getting to do damage for a turn.

DragonsDream wrote:
One Shot
- Each other hero target may discard any number of cards and regain X HP where X is the number of total number of cards discarded this way

Each hero other than Cuteness may discard any number of cards. Then each hero (target?) regains X HP where X is the number of cards discarded this way.

DragonsDream wrote:
One Shot
- Place an ongoing card on the bottom of its deck. You may place another ongoing card on top of its deck

Move one ongoing card in play to the bottom of its deck. You may move another ongoing card to the top of its deck.

DragonsDream wrote:
Ongoing
- When the Cuteness would be dealt damage, you may redirect that damage to any other hero target. Place this card next to a hero character card dealt damage this way. The character next to this card, on their turn can play an additional card or use an additional power. When this card would be destroyed, put it in play instead.

When Cuteness would be dealt damage you may redirect that damage to another hero, if you do move this card next to that target. At the start of their turn the hero next to this card may either play a card or use a power.

As worded once this card is in play Cuteness is pretty much invulnerable to damage as they can always redirect it to another hero target and this card is just indestructible.

DragonsDream wrote:
Ongoing, Limited
Place this card next to another hero character card. The hero next to this card cannot use powers.
- At the end of your turn retrieve up to 3 Baby cards from your trash and put them in your hand. Each other hero may retrieve x ongoing or equipment cards from their trash and put it into their hand where x is the number of baby cards in play. At the start of your turn, The Cuteness either deals the hero next to this card 1 irreducible psychic damage or destroys this card.

This card is probably way to wordy to fit on the cards (I’ve met this problem recently myself) also one other hero is taking damage and can’t use powers to give you an effect seems a bit mean. It might be great on a turn for set up though so maybe not that bad.

DragonsDream wrote:
Ongoing, Limited
Power: The Cuteness deals herself 1 irreducible toxic damage and deals 1 other target 3 irreducible toxic damage. Reduce damage dealt by a target damaged this way by 1 until the start of your next turn

Just for clarity as worded it also reduces Cutenesses damage as well.

DragonsDream wrote:
Equipment
place this card next to any other hero character card. That hero gains the following power.
Power: Discard X cards where x is the number of baby cards in play. If you do, The Cuteness regains full health and you regains X-1 HP. Destroy this card

Place this card next to a hero other than cuteness. That hero gains
Power: Discard X cards where X is the number of baby cards in play. If you do set Cuteness’
HP to max and you regain X-1 HP, Destroy this card.

DragonsDream wrote:
Equipment, Limited
at the start of your turn, The Cuteness deals each non-hero target 1 toxic damage and each other hero target 0 toxic damage
One other hero may discard a card. If they do, destroy this card.

One hero other than Cuteness may...

DragonsDream wrote:
Equipment, Limited, Baby
Place this card next to another hero character card. The hero next to this card cannot play cards during their play card phase.
- At the start of your turn, one hero may draw x cards then discard X-2 cards where X is the number of baby cards in play. At start of the hero next to this card's turn, The Cuteness deals that hero 1 irreducible psychic damage or destroys this card.

Place this card next to a hero other than Cuteness. The hero next to this card may not play cards during their play phase. At the start of their turn Cuteness deals them 1 irreducible psychic damage or destroys this card.

Just rewording parts of it, again there’s a lot going on on this card, could probably all be moved to the start of Cuteness’ turn for ease of play.

DragonsDream wrote:
Equipment, Limited, Baby
Place this card next to another hero character card. Reduce the damage dealt by the character next to this card by 1.
Reduce damage dealt to hero targets by 1. You may redirect any damage directed at the Cuteness to this card instead.

Play this card next to a hero other than Cuteness.
Reduce damage dealt by the hero next to this card by 1.
Reduce damage dealt to hero targets by 1.
When Cuteness would be dealt damage you may redirect it to this card instead.

Overall I love it looking forward to seeing more.
And again Gratz, but I feel your expectations of Cuteness sleeping are generous at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faceontoast wrote:

DragonsDream wrote:
One-Shot

Usually there’s a cost to this sort of effect as it’s very strong. Legacy takes damage and Nightmist discards 2 cards, for example.

how about something like this

Ongoing, limited
- Villain cards cannot be played.
At the end of your turn destroy a Baby card otherwise destroy this card.

Faceontoast wrote:

DragonsDream wrote:
One Shot
- Villain targets cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn

Again this card should probably have a cost for no villains getting to do damage for a turn.

would the same wording as Captivating Smile above work?
Faceontoast wrote:

DragonsDream wrote:
Ongoing

When Cuteness would be dealt damage you may redirect that damage to another hero, if you do move this card next to that target. At the start of their turn the hero next to this card may either play a card or use a power.

As worded once this card is in play Cuteness is pretty much invulnerable to damage as they can always redirect it to another hero target and this card is just indestructible.

which is my intention. because really, who wants the baby to get hurt? My initial thinking was to redirect the damage and increase it by 1 to represent the other heroes making heroic efforts to prevent harm to the baby even when it means they get "out of position" perhaps I should add that back? And now I see I need to reword this so the choice to redirect is made by the player taking the damage rather than the Cuteness player forcing that damage on someone else.

When Cuteness would be dealt damage any other player may redirect that damage to themselves. Increase damage redirected this way by 1. If they do, move this card next to that target. At the start of their turn the hero next to this card may either play a card or use a power.[/q]
Faceontoast wrote:

DragonsDream wrote:
Ongoing, Limited
- At the end of your turn retrieve up to 3 Baby cards from your trash and put them in your hand. Each other hero may retrieve x ongoing or equipment cards from their trash and put it into their hand where x is the number of baby cards in play. At the start of your turn, The Cuteness either deals the hero next to this card 1 irreducible psychic damage or destroys this card.

This card is probably way to wordy to fit on the cards (I’ve met this problem recently myself) also one other hero is taking damage and can’t use powers to give you an effect seems a bit mean. It might be great on a turn for set up though so maybe not that bad.

I imagine that this normally wouldn't be useful for more than 1 turn so i don't think many players will accept that damage thus destroying the card because how often do you have that much in the trash to retrieve?
Faceontoast wrote:

DragonsDream wrote:
Ongoing, Limited
Power: The Cuteness deals herself 1 irreducible toxic damage and deals 1 other target 3 irreducible toxic damage. Reduce damage dealt by a target damaged this way by 1 until the start of your next turn

Just for clarity as worded it also reduces Cutenesses damage as well.
yes, unless someone makes use of Protective Instinct, although perhaps this effect should also be unredirectable to prevent that
Faceontoast wrote:

DragonsDream wrote:
Equipment, Limited, Baby
- At the start of your turn, one hero may draw x cards then discard X-2 cards where X is the number of baby cards in play. At start of the hero next to this card's turn, The Cuteness deals that hero 1 irreducible psychic damage or destroys this card.

Place this card next to a hero other than Cuteness. The hero next to this card may not play cards during their play phase. At the start of their turn Cuteness deals them 1 irreducible psychic damage or destroys this card.

Just rewording parts of it, again there’s a lot going on on this card, could probably all be moved to the start of Cuteness’ turn for ease of play.

probably true. will fix...
Faceontoast wrote:

Overall I love it looking forward to seeing more.
And again Gratz, but I feel your expectations of Cuteness sleeping are generous at best.

thanks for the wording help. will make those changes.
as for our little Cuteness sleeping, well we are lucky (?) and have the opposite problem of most new parents: our baby sleeps too much. she will sleep through feeding times, so we have to wake her up all the time. It's actually not as fun as it sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It fits the theme to have the... hero? do lots of damage reduction/villain nerfing, but too much can make the game a bit boring - the villain never does anything and there's not much tension.

For Captivating Smile, it could probably go down to just a 2x (it's a very strong effect). I like the idea of destroying a baby card to give it an extra cost, but bear in mind with your version, you could keep it out forever as long as you keep feeding it baby cards. Maybe if it was when this enters play, destroy a baby card or destroy it, and put the start of turn destruction back on? That way it would give you the extra cost to play it, but it wouldn't let you keep it around forever.

The same criticism could probably be made for Goo Goo eyes, it's very strong. Also, Pacifier (a strong card!) does the same thing, but worse. Googoo eyes could possibly just reduce all damage they deal by 1 or maybe even 2? That way it's have more of a niche compared to Pacifier (Pacifier totally shuts down one target, Goo Goo eyes gets more targets, but doesn't shut them down as completely).

The other thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem that much of a reason why some cards are baby cards and some are not? Mechanically, they're not one-shots, I guess... Thematically, sure, they're baby themed but so is the entire deck. If I picked a random card from the deck and didn't look at the type line I probably couldn't predict if a card is Baby or not. Compare this to something like Modes, or Forms, or Spells, or Guns, which all have a clear mechanical throughline that makes you go "Oh, it's one of THOSE."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
It fits the theme to have the... hero? do lots of damage reduction/villain nerfing, but too much can make the game a bit boring - the villain never does anything and there's not much tension.

For Captivating Smile, it could probably go down to just a 2x (it's a very strong effect). I like the idea of destroying a baby card to give it an extra cost, but bear in mind with your version, you could keep it out forever as long as you keep feeding it baby cards. Maybe if it was when this enters play, destroy a baby card or destroy it, and put the start of turn destruction back on? That way it would give you the extra cost to play it, but it wouldn't let you keep it around forever.

The same criticism could probably be made for Goo Goo eyes, it's very strong. Also, Pacifier (a strong card!) does the same thing, but worse. Googoo eyes could possibly just reduce all damage they deal by 1 or maybe even 2? That way it's have more of a niche compared to Pacifier (Pacifier totally shuts down one target, Goo Goo eyes gets more targets, but doesn't shut them down as completely).

The other thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem that much of a reason why some cards are baby cards and some are not? Mechanically, they're not one-shots, I guess... Thematically, sure, they're baby themed but so is the entire deck. If I picked a random card from the deck and didn't look at the type line I probably couldn't predict if a card is Baby or not. Compare this to something like Modes, or Forms, or Spells, or Guns, which all have a clear mechanical throughline that makes you go "Oh, it's one of THOSE."

TBH, I knew I wanted a unique keyboard, decided on "baby," then back engineered what "baby" cards would do. It wasn't much at first. They were just the cards that get placed next to other hero others but yeah, there isn't a good mechanical break between baby and not-baby cards. I'm thinking of changing it into "daycare/nursery" which would be the cards that other heroes have - the ones that represent "taking care of the baby" (I'm always reminded of Fabian Niceiza's mid 90s run on Nomad where Jack Monroe aka Nomad fought with Baby Bucky strapped to his back).

I'm wondering if there are any strong gameplay reasons to make a card a one shot vs. an ongoing that auto-destroys at the start of your turn. what are the benefits & drawbacks of each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Not a massive one? I personally prefer ongoings that stay around for a turn because they give you a reminder of whatever it is they do, whereas otherwise you just have to remember that thing and when it ends.

It does sometimes matter when there are cards that destroy your ongoings, sometimes you have a 1 round buff card and at certain times you don't care that much if it's getting destroyed, so it's a free way to soak up ongoing/equipment destruction? But not a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi, I don't know how set you are on making this deck happen, but here's a random thought I had earlier today. How about making it a villain deck? Here me out on this, I don't have any experience in this myself, but I suspect that just... sometimes ..your little sweet new born baby feels more like a villain to you than a hero It could be a fight similar to the Dreamer where you have to protect the baby and fight off evil stinky diapers and stand up in the middle of the night to feed it. I just find the thought very amusing. Four superheroes standing around the crib: "I think it just shat itself again, please Legacy, it's your time to give it a bath and change diapers." And then the diapers deal him 5 toxic damage..
Please don't take this as an offense. I don't want to come across mean. Just thought it could be a fun dig at being a parent :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnny_guitar_watson wrote:
Hi, I don't know how set you are on making this deck happen, but here's a random thought I had earlier today. How about making it a villain deck? Here me out on this, I don't have any experience in this myself, but I suspect that just... sometimes ..your little sweet new born baby feels more like a villain to you than a hero It could be a fight similar to the Dreamer where you have to protect the baby and fight off evil stinky diapers and stand up in the middle of the night to feed it. I just find the thought very amusing. Four superheroes standing around the crib: "I think it just shat itself again, please Legacy, it's your time to give it a bath and change diapers." And then the diapers deal him 5 toxic damage..
Please don't take this as an offense. I don't want to come across mean. Just thought it could be a fun dig at being a parent :-)

no offense taken at all. I hadn't thought about doing a villain deck, but I had contemplated an environment with a similar idea: a baby target that you need to keep from getting injured while things like dirty diapers, projectile vomit and lost pacifiers distract you from fighting the villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
question for the experts:

I am working on a new Equipment card and am wondering about a certain trigger

Baby Bouncer (qty: 1)
Place this card next to another hero character card. The hero next to this card cannot draw cards.
At the end of your turn, you may destroy up to X Enviornment cards where X is the number of Nursury cards in play.
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals herself 2 melee damage or destroys this card

My question is, if the damage to the Cuteness is redirected (such as with Protective Instinct), must the card be destroyed? My understanding would be yes. Is there a way to keep the card in play so long as the damage is dealt to someone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
question for the experts:

I am working on a new Equipment card and am wondering about a certain trigger

Place this card next to another hero character card. The hero next to this card cannot draw cards.
At the end of your turn, you may destroy up to X Enviornment cards where X is the number of Nursury cards in play.
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals herself 2 melee damage or destroys this card

My question is, if the damage to the Cuteness is redirected (such as with Protective Instinct), must the card be destroyed? My understanding would be yes. Is there a way to keep the card in play so long as the damage is dealt to someone?

Yes it would be destroyed, off the top of my head possibly
"At the start of your turn the Cuteness deals herself 2 melee damage, destroy this card if this damage is not dealt to a hero target."
It's kind of clunky but I think that's what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2
The Cuteness
10 HP

Incapacitated:
-One player may move an ongoing or equipment card from their trash to their hand.
-Each Hero regains 1HP
-Choose a target, the next time that target would be dealt damage redirect it to another target.

One-Shot (Qty: 17)
--------------
- Discard any number of cards. X heroes other than Cuteness may use a power now where X is the number of cards discarded this way. Return any Nursery cards discarded this way to your hand then immediately end your turn.

- Choose a deck and reveal the top X cards of that deck where X is the number of Nursery cards in play. Each card may be returned to the top or bottom of it’s deck in any order.

- Destroy all Nursery cards in play. The Cuteness deals 1 target X sonic damage and x psychic damage where X is the number of cards destroyed this way

Tummy Time (Qty: 2)
- You May Draw a Card. Search your deck and trash for Protective Instinct and put it in play, shuffle your deck. You May play a card

- Each hero other than Cuteness may discard any number of cards. Then each hero regains X HP where X is the number of cards discarded this way.

- Move one ongoing card in play to the bottom of its deck. You may move another ongoing card to the top of its deck.

Projectile vomit (Qty: 2)
- The Cuteness deals herself 1 irreducable unredirectable toxic damage and deals 1 other target 3 irreducable toxic damage. Reduce damage dealt by a target damaged this way by 1 until the start of your next turn

---------------
- When Cuteness would be dealt damage any other player may redirect that damage to themselves. Increase damage redirected this way by 1. If they do, move this card next to that target. At the start of their turn the hero next to this card may either play a card or use a power

Ongoing, limited (Qty: )
---------------
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals one hero target 1 psychic damage or destroys this card
At the end of your turn choose a target. The next time that target deals damage, you may redirect that damage to another target

Captivating Smile (Qty: 2)
At the end of your turn, the Cuteness deals each hero character other than herself 1 irreducable psychic damage or destroys this card
Power: Villain cards cannot be played until the start of your next turn

- At the end of your turn each hero may retrieve x ongoing or equipment cards from their trash and put them into their hand where x is the number of Nursery cards in play. At the start of your turn destroy this card.

Equipment (Qty: )
-------------------
at the start of your turn, The Cuteness deals one target 3 toxic damage.
At the end of your turn, one player may discard a card. If they do, destroy this card otherwise the Cuteness deals all targets 1 toxic damage.

Power: The Cuteness deals one non-hero target 1 psychic damage. A target dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.
At the end of your turn discard 1 card or destroy this card.

Power: Discard X cards where X is the number of Nursery cards in play. If you do set Cuteness’ HP to max and you regain X-1 HP, Destroy this card.

Equipment, Limited, Nursery (Qty: )
-------------------
- At the start of your turn, one hero may draw x cards then discard X-2 cards where X is the number of Nursery cards in play.

Diaper Pail (qty: 2)
Place this next to another hero character card.
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals the hero next to this card 1 toxic damage
Whenever a non-hero card would destroy a hero equipment card, you may substitute a diaper from your trash instead. When this card is destroyed, this card deals all targets 1 toxic damage

Bouncer (qty: 1)
At the end of your turn, you may destroy up to X Environment cards where X is the number of Nursery cards in play.
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals herself 2 melee damage or destroys this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

My understanding is that the damage must 'try to be dealt', but whether it lands or not doesn't matter. I believe the official decks errata'd some earlier cards so that they read, for example, "At the start of your turn X may deal themselves X damage. If no damage is dealt this way, destroy this card."

So if you want it to destroy itself when no damage happens, I think you'd need to word it after that pattern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Lullaby should probably specify if it's half rounded down or up? Nice effect, though.

Coo seems pretty dangerous, and also scales with more heroes - in a H=5 game it wouldn't be too hard to have it be 40+ HP for the team.

For Protective Instinct, if I move the card by me, someone else can still take the damage and pull the card by them, right? Just checking it still lets you take stuff for the baby when it's not in her play area?

Goo Goo eyes seems pretty fun to play with, although I'd suspect the self damage could be upped. Even if we only redirect 1 damage, it's still a net gain, can't see ever letting this expire.

Captivating Smile definitely seems over the line - H damage a turn is a small price to pay to never have the villain play anything ever again. And a boring one too. Skipping a villain play is already extraordinarily powerful, making it repeatable... yikes!

Same could be said for Pacifier, borderline overpowered effect in the first place, repeating it... ouch. if I had Pacifier AND captivating smile, for the low price of a card and 1 damage to everyone each turn the villain deck... can literally never do anything, ever?

Peacefully Sleeping works fine, but it doesn't seem to have any particular reason to be an ongoing - couldn't it just be a one-shot?

Diaper is slow but very strong, and like Goo Goo eyes I can't really see this expiring. 1 damage to all targets is probably going to be bad for us, but 3 damage to an enemy each round definitely swings it in our favour.

Bottle is a little odd in that it's generally worse the more Nursery cards you have? Resetting the super fragile baby to 10 HP is useful.

For the Nursery cards in general, keyword feels better now, they all have a tight theme and it's easy to see why certain cards have the keyword or not.

For Changing Table, skipping your play for possibly 1 card isn't a great deal. Even for 3ish cards it's nothing special. At very least, this should probably have a way to destroy itself?

I couldn't see redirecting to the Crib often - 1 DR for the whole team is a better defence that redirecting in almost all cases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
Lullaby should probably specify if it's half rounded down or up? Nice effect, though.

Coo seems pretty dangerous, and also scales with more heroes - in a H=5 game it wouldn't be too hard to have it be 40+ HP for the team.

For Protective Instinct, if I move the card by me, someone else can still take the damage and pull the card by them, right? Just checking it still lets you take stuff for the baby when it's not in her play area?

Goo Goo eyes seems pretty fun to play with, although I'd suspect the self damage could be upped. Even if we only redirect 1 damage, it's still a net gain, can't see ever letting this expire.

Captivating Smile definitely seems over the line - H damage a turn is a small price to pay to never have the villain play anything ever again. And a boring one too. Skipping a villain play is already extraordinarily powerful, making it repeatable... yikes!

Same could be said for Pacifier, borderline overpowered effect in the first place, repeating it... ouch. if I had Pacifier AND captivating smile, for the low price of a card and 1 damage to everyone each turn the villain deck... can literally never do anything, ever?

Peacefully Sleeping works fine, but it doesn't seem to have any particular reason to be an ongoing - couldn't it just be a one-shot?

Diaper is slow but very strong, and like Goo Goo eyes I can't really see this expiring. 1 damage to all targets is probably going to be bad for us, but 3 damage to an enemy each round definitely swings it in our favour.

Bottle is a little odd in that it's generally worse the more Nursery cards you have? Resetting the super fragile baby to 10 HP is useful.

For the Nursery cards in general, keyword feels better now, they all have a tight theme and it's easy to see why certain cards have the keyword or not.

For Changing Table, skipping your play for possibly 1 card isn't a great deal. Even for 3ish cards it's nothing special. At very least, this should probably have a way to destroy itself?

I couldn't see redirecting to the Crib often - 1 DR for the whole team is a better defence that redirecting in almost all cases!

First off, THANK YOU so much for helping me out with this. I know it's kind of a jokey deck, but if I get this completed and printed, my wife has actually agreed to play it with me (she played SotM with me once before and it was kind of a disaster of fiddly tokens and rules mistakes that really turned her off).

My initial thought on this was to include 2 things: preventing villain damage and preventing villain card draws. So please understand I am really reluctant to give those up. Also, theme is more important to me than balance. I don't want anything wildly unbalanced but I'm ok making the baby a smidge OP (I rather suck at this game anyway, despite it being my favorite game, so OP for you is average for me)

I have tried to address all your points in my next round of changes

Quote:
- Each hero other than Cuteness may discard a card. Then each other hero regains X HP where X is the number of cards discarded this way.

reduced this to a max 4 in a 5 player game. My original intension was that each hero gained HP only for the cards that hero discarded but noticed right away it was ambiguously worded and just went with it. But yeah, way too strong.

Protective Instinct should be moved each time a new character takes the redirected damage. Is there a way to better word that on the card? Again, the idea here is that the other heroes will go out of their way to protect the baby from harm but gain a big benefit from doing so.

Quote:
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals one hero target 2 psychic damage or destroys this card
Power: choose a target. The next time that target deals damage, you may redirect that damage to another target

Changed this to a power, so barring special cases, this can't be combined with Captivating Smile or Pacifier and raised the hero damage from 1 to 2

Quote:
At the end of your turn, the Cuteness deals each hero character other than herself 1 psychic damage or destroys this card
Power: The next time a villain card is played, you may move it to the bottom of the villain deck instead

OK, this one hurts to change, but I know in my gut you are right. So rather than shutting down the villain completely, it only stops 1 card.

Quote:
Power: The Cuteness deals one non-hero target 1 psychic damage. A target dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.
At the end of your turn you may destroy 1 hero ongoing or equipment card. If you do not, destroy this card.

upped the cost to keep the card around. it's still a strong effect, but how much equipment does your team want to lose to keep hold of it?

My original thinking on Peacefully Sleeping was that you had your turn to get more Nursery Cards out to benefit the effect (as well as thematically "ending" your turn sleeping rather than starting it that way) but making it a one shot makes more sense.

Diaper is additionally motivated to be cleaned up (aka destroyed) by Diaper Pail.
Bottles (along with Protective Instinct) are the most important cards for keeping Cuteness alive. As more Nursery cards come out, Cuteness gets stronger so I wanted it to be harder to get her back to full HP from such a point. it could also motivate a Crying Fit so the bottle becomes much easier to use.

Quote:
Place this card next to another hero character card. Increase the damage dealt to that character by 1
At the start of your turn, the character next to this card may discard any number of cards and then draw X cards where X is the number of cards discarded this way +2

Change of direction here. The person at the changing table has less defense but can replace whatever they need in their hand and gain 2 extra cards.

I removed the redirect text on Crib as it probably isn't needed.

Quote:
Place this next to another hero character card.
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals the hero next to this card 2 toxic damage. When a Diaper card would be destroyed, you may place it under this card instead.
Whenever a non-hero card would destroy a hero equipment card, you may substitute a card from under this one instead. When this card is destroyed, this card deals all targets 1 toxic damage and any cards under are moved to their respective trash

gah, that got wordy but I wanted a clearer mechanic. I was debating allowing any destroyed equipment card going here but that feels unthematic (although potentially more useful) I also wanted to use Damage = X where X is number of cards under but saying that twice makes a wordy card into a wall of text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
For Coo, what you're written works fine, but if you did want it to be for each hero, something like "Each player may discard any number of cards. For each player that does, one of their targets regains 2 times X HP, where X is the number of cards discarded"? Your current version works fine, but this might be closer to what you wanted?

For Protective Instinct, I was just checking, as you have it you can redirect whenever, and essentially the last hero to do so gets the bonus.

Changing Table is quite different, but seems worth it? +1 damage sucks, but that is some pretty amazing card draw.

I'm not sure I quite get what Diaper pail is going for... It hits us all the time, which is annoying. And when Diapers (which aren't super common in the deck) are destroyed, we can sort of charge this up, and those charges then let us destroy those already-destroyed-diapers instead of the original thing. It's not... useless, but it's pretty niche, especially for something that hits us in the meantime.

How about something like this...
Diaper (Equipment)
When this card enters play, the Cuteness deals 1 target 4 toxic damage.
At the start of your turn, this card deals each target 1 toxic damage.

Diaper Pail (Equipment, Nursery)
Play this card next to a hero character.
That hero gains Power: Destroy a Diaper. If you do, each hero regains 2 HP.
At the start of your turn, you may move a Diaper from the trash into your hand.

That way they work together quite effectively. Diapers are a decent damage dealer with a slightly annoying persistent effect, Diaper Pail lets you then clean them up which both gets rid of the persistent effect and heals you some in the bargain?

More generally for the overall deck theme... Flavour is good, but for the fun of the game, I think steering too heavily towards damage neutralization is a worry. It tends to lead to long games where no one really does anything. There are lots of effects you can do that keep in the theme of damage prevention that don't remove the tension entirely.

Goo-Goo eyes is a good example. It does reduce the damage we get dealt, but it's still quite tense, we don't know what is going to happen exactly, maybe we'll redirect a big hit, maybe not, other stuff might still attack us. So, fun card.

Compare to Pacifier which just totally shuts down the target, it's never ever going to do anything that matters. Keep it up a few turns of them doing nothing and we win probably? If Pacifier say... only worked on non-character targets? Or it reduced all damage by 2 instead of stopping it entirely? Or the next time it would deal damage it instead caused the target to gain that much HP? These are all fun effects that keep with the theme, but they're more interesting effects that don't remove the unpredictability.

The core game does have a few things like Heroic Interception and Take Down (not that they're in the most balanced deck in the world), but even those are only a few copies. The Cuteness has a big chunk of her deck being ways to neutralize the enemy with 100% efficiency, and worse, a lot of them are repeatable.

Captivating Smile... it's weaker, theoretically but still... Yikes! A lot of villains only play one card a turn, and this makes them not do anything. Ever. Get this turn 1, and the villain will never play a card again, which seems like it'd make the game really, really boring. We have nothing to react to, no new threats... It'd be okay (if really strong) as a one-off effect but anything beyond that seems unfun. If you're trying to get your wife to like the game, then a game when the might Baron Blade just sits on his butt the entire game being hypnotized by a baby and never doing anything interesting is probably not going to be the game that will win her over.

So to summarize, there's nothing with having a deck that revolves around neutralizing the baddies, but I think you might want to tone down some of the effects a little?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
For Coo, what you're written works fine, but if you did want it to be for each hero, something like "Each player may discard any number of cards. For each player that does, one of their targets regains 2 times X HP, where X is the number of cards discarded"? Your current version works fine, but this might be closer to what you wanted?

For Protective Instinct, I was just checking, as you have it you can redirect whenever, and essentially the last hero to do so gets the bonus.

Changing Table is quite different, but seems worth it? +1 damage sucks, but that is some pretty amazing card draw.

I'm not sure I quite get what Diaper pail is going for... It hits us all the time, which is annoying. And when Diapers (which aren't super common in the deck) are destroyed, we can sort of charge this up, and those charges then let us destroy those already-destroyed-diapers instead of the original thing. It's not... useless, but it's pretty niche, especially for something that hits us in the meantime.

How about something like this...
Diaper (Equipment)
When this card enters play, the Cuteness deals 1 target 4 toxic damage.
At the start of your turn, this card deals each target 1 toxic damage.

Diaper Pail (Equipment, Nursery)
Play this card next to a hero character.
That hero gains Power: Destroy a Diaper. If you do, each hero regains 2 HP.
At the start of your turn, you may move a Diaper from the trash into your hand.

That way they work together quite effectively. Diapers are a decent damage dealer with a slightly annoying persistent effect, Diaper Pail lets you then clean them up which both gets rid of the persistent effect and heals you some in the bargain?

More generally for the overall deck theme... Flavour is good, but for the fun of the game, I think steering too heavily towards damage neutralization is a worry. It tends to lead to long games where no one really does anything. There are lots of effects you can do that keep in the theme of damage prevention that don't remove the tension entirely.

Goo-Goo eyes is a good example. It does reduce the damage we get dealt, but it's still quite tense, we don't know what is going to happen exactly, maybe we'll redirect a big hit, maybe not, other stuff might still attack us. So, fun card.

Compare to Pacifier which just totally shuts down the target, it's never ever going to do anything that matters. Keep it up a few turns of them doing nothing and we win probably? If Pacifier say... only worked on non-character targets? Or it reduced all damage by 2 instead of stopping it entirely? Or the next time it would deal damage it instead caused the target to gain that much HP? These are all fun effects that keep with the theme, but they're more interesting effects that don't remove the unpredictability.

The core game does have a few things like Heroic Interception and Take Down (not that they're in the most balanced deck in the world), but even those are only a few copies. The Cuteness has a big chunk of her deck being ways to neutralize the enemy with 100% efficiency, and worse, a lot of them are repeatable.

Captivating Smile... it's weaker, theoretically but still... Yikes! A lot of villains only play one card a turn, and this makes them not do anything. Ever. Get this turn 1, and the villain will never play a card again, which seems like it'd make the game really, really boring. We have nothing to react to, no new threats... It'd be okay (if really strong) as a one-off effect but anything beyond that seems unfun. If you're trying to get your wife to like the game, then a game when the might Baron Blade just sits on his butt the entire game being hypnotized by a baby and never doing anything interesting is probably not going to be the game that will win her over.

So to summarize, there's nothing with having a deck that revolves around neutralizing the baddies, but I think you might want to tone down some of the effects a little?

OK, so it seems there are 2 problematic cards here:
Pacifier and Captivating Smile

I like your idea of healing villain and it does feel thematic (since part of the deck theme is that the cute baby makes the people around her feel better about themselves) so I incorporated that. I understand that villains like Baron Blade don't really draw more than 1 card a turn and shutting that down would be very dull, but I also know I have had games were I conceded in frustration because the villain got to draw cards that told me to draw more cards that drew more cards and I ran out of table space for all the cards in play (a particularly bad episode vs. La Capitan comes to mind), so I think I came up with a way to do sort of what I want without completely removing the challenge.

Captivating Smile Ongoing, limited (Qty: 2)
Whenever a villain or environment card would play the top card of the villain deck, you may place that card on the top of the villain deck instead. If you do, the villain regains (H) HP. If no HP are gained this way, destroy this card.

Pacifier Equipment (Qty: 2)
Power: Choose a non-hero target. That target regains 2*(H) HP. If the target regained HP this way, the target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.

I hope this would alleviate the fears of using these abilities indefinitely from turn 1. The main problem I foresee with Captivating Smile now is those decks that don't have a villain card with "play the top card of the villain deck" (only Chokepoint, The Dreamer, Kaargra Warfang and Wager Master don't however so maybe not too big a deal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
You could go for "the second time a villain card enters play in a turn you may...", that way you couldn't never stop the first play, but if they are being clever you can interfere, even if it doesn't specifically say top of the deck (Newfound power for CHokepoint, Raiding party for Capitan, Violent NIghtmares for Dreamer...)

Pacifier is still very strong, but it doesn't feel free any more, you'll have to take a turn or two off at some point. I like how it works quite well on stuff like Electro Pulse, we deal it one damage, then heal it with this, then that's that sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I feel like this is getting pretty close to being ready. I swapped Peacefully Sleeping and Projectile Vomit. I realized I was lacking in Powers, so The Cuteness can puke on command now gulp

I simplified Diaper Pail. What I originally had in mind is just too complicated to word properly, so this way it just becomes a ticking bomb with the potential to go off early.

The Cuteness
10 HP

Incapacitated:
-One player may move an ongoing or equipment card from their trash to their hand.
-Each Hero regains 1HP
-Choose a target, the next time that target would be dealt damage redirect it to another target.

One-Shot (Qty: 16)
--------------
- Discard any number of cards. X heroes other than Cuteness may use a power now where X is the number of cards discarded this way. Return any Nursery cards discarded this way to your hand then immediately end your turn.

Playtime (Qty: 3)
- Choose a deck and reveal the top X cards of that deck where X is the number of Nursery cards in play. Each card may be returned to the top or bottom of its deck in any order.

- Destroy all Nursery cards in play. The Cuteness deals 1 target X sonic damage and x psychic damage where X is the number of cards destroyed this way

- You May Draw a Card. Search your deck and trash for Protective Instinct and put it in play, shuffle your deck. You May play a card

- Each hero other than Cuteness may discard a card. Then each other hero regains X HP where X is the number of cards discarded this way.

- Move one ongoing card in play to the bottom of its deck. You may move another ongoing card to the top of its deck.

- Each hero may retrieve x ongoing or equipment cards from their trash and put them into their hand where x is the number of Nursery cards in play

---------------
- When Cuteness would be dealt damage any other player may redirect that damage to themselves. Increase damage redirected this way by 1. If they do, move this card next to that target. At the start of their turn the hero next to this card may either play a card or use a power

Ongoing, limited (Qty: 6)
---------------
Projectile vomit (Qty: 2)
-Power: The Cuteness deals herself 1 unredirectable toxic damage and deals 1 other target 3 toxic damage. Reduce damage dealt by a target damaged this way by 1 until the start of your next turn

-Choose a target. The next time that target deals damage, you may redirect that damage to another target. At the start of your turn, Destroy this card

the second time a villain card enters play in a turn you may place that card on the top of the villain deck instead. If you do, the villain regains (H) HP. If no HP are gained this way, destroy this card.

Equipment (Qty: 10)
-------------------
Diaper (Qty: 4)
at the start of your turn, The Cuteness deals one target 3 toxic damage.

Power: Choose a non-hero target. That target regains 2*(H) HP. If the target regained HP this way, the target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.
At the end of your turn, one non-hero target regains 1 HP otherwise destroy this card

Power: Discard X cards where X is the number of Nursery cards in play. If you do set Cuteness’ HP to max and you regain X-1 HP, Destroy this card.

Equipment, Limited, Nursery (Qty: 7)
-------------------
At the end of your turn, place this card next to a hero character card other than The Cuteness. Increase the damage dealt to that character by 1
At the start of your turn, the hero next to this card may discard any number of cards and then draw X cards where X is the number of cards discarded this way +2

Reduce damage dealt to hero targets by 1.

At the start of each hero’s turn, that hero may place one card from their hand under this one. If they do, this card deals them1 toxic damage.
When this card is destroyed, this card deals all targets x toxic damage and x projectile damage where x is the number of cards under this one and any cards under are moved to their respective trash

Bouncer (qty: 1)
When this card enters play The Cuteness deals one hero 2 melee damage.
At the end of your turn, you may destroy up to X Environment cards where X is the number of Nursery cards in play.
At the start of your turn, the Cuteness deals herself 2 melee damage. If no damage is dealt this way, destroy this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
For Protective Instinct, it should probably be when a NON-HERO target deals damage? Otherwise I can have hero A get the bonus, then hit the baby, which hero B takes so they get the bonus, if I played it right (and didn't mind a bit of self damage) I could have almost everyone getting the bonus.

Peacefully Sleeping seems kind of an odd one out compared to Lullaby and Coo - if we discard say 2 cards, then EVERYONE can get 2 cards back, which isn't that likely to be necessary, ongoings/equipments don't get destroyed that often. Maybe if it was X between all the heroes? They could also potentially go back into play rather than hands.

Projectile Vomit is supposed to reduce the baby's damage, right? It'll certainly make you think twice about taking this damage with Protective Instinct.

For Captivating Smile you might need a bit more detail than "the" villain gaining HP for things like Ennead or Chairman/Operative. I'd suggest either the lowest HP villain character or each villain character, depending which way you want to go?

I like Diaper, although I'd suggest you switch the start and end of turn triggers, so we get the definitely good 3 damage right away. Currently if I discard a card immediately I feel pretty dumb.

Pacifier is a nice compromise. You CAN use it on Progeny turn after turn but... you're probably not getting much done.

I like the idea of Diaper Pail but... that is a lot of damage, likely to kill our whole team, I don't think I'd really want to use that most of the time. You could easily get away with it being just X damage to all baddies, or maybe it does X projectile to everyone, and then ANOTHER X to the enemy? It's still a worse Oblivion, but might be used...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.